What bourbon did you purchase summer of '23?

Phil T

24 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Or a friend tells you about a great sale - then the rationalization begins.  🤔 

Sale!  Where???😵‍💫

23 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Sale!  Where???😵‍💫

The norm for me more times than not is usually something along the line of, “Sorry, you should have stopped in yesterday.” 😏

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

Or a friend tells you about a great sale - then the rationalization begins.  🤔 

Ha ha, that's pretty much what happened on another purchase this year.  I caught wind that VA ABC was selling Ardbeg Corryvreckan for half price (60 bucks) and I've been wanting to try that one for years but didn't want to pay the $100+ I normally see it for.  So of course I have one in my stash now.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Bourserker said:

Ha ha, that's pretty much what happened on another purchase this year.  I caught wind that VA ABC was selling Ardbeg Corryvreckan for half price (60 bucks) and I've been wanting to try that one for years but didn't want to pay the $100+ I normally see it for.  So of course I have one in my stash now.

Nothing like great whiskey on the cheap!  

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The norm for me more times than not is usually something along the line of, “Sorry, you should have stopped in yesterday.” 😏

You have no excuses.  You can stop in everyday now.  😀😜

In fact, if you stop in today, that is the day before tomorrow, so you theorectical should never miss a sale or bottle drop again.  You can always be early and never late.  😀

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Bourserker said:

Was it only one per customer, or did you buy several and save one for the bunker.

Got to make hay while the sun is shining.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

In fact, if you stop in today, that is the day before tomorrow, so you theorectical should never miss a sale or bottle drop again.  You can always be early and never late.  😀

Yeah, what he said (I think!)  🤣

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Yeah, what he said (I think!)  🤣

I know I could stop in every day, but that ain’t me. I’m not a truck follower nor do I work out timetables for store drops. I’ll pay’s my money and takes my chances. Besides, I need something to complain about. 😂

• I like it 1

Stopped at Buffalo Trace on the way to Knoxville, then Conway, SC.  No line, because we got there at 11:30 am and they were not quite sold out yet. I was pleasantly surprised.  

It was either this or Four Roses.  Perhaps on the way back we an carve out a little Lawrenceburg time and see if anything special appears. 

IMG_20230825_163337.jpg

• I like it 4

Our monthly state allocation drop is this morning. Doors open in30 minutes. What should I pickup?

image000000.thumb.jpg.73ea517b4d6d69debdd840cdf434d4a5.jpgimage000000(1).thumb.jpg.31a65993e1ba9f062351d429759c60cb.jpg

51 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

Our monthly state allocation drop is this morning. Doors open in30 minutes. What should I pickup?

image000000.thumb.jpg.73ea517b4d6d69debdd840cdf434d4a5.jpgimage000000(1).thumb.jpg.31a65993e1ba9f062351d429759c60cb.jpg

If it was me, the Larceny Barrel Proof is most interesting, since I've never had it before.

Some people seemed to really like the high proof WR too.

BT handle (if you like it) and it's a good deal.

• I like it 1

This is what we wound up getting. My wife is already working a trade for the Blantons

20230826_110645.thumb.jpg.27196196fff0b85a793ca056c958e564.jpg

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 5

30 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

This is what we wound up getting. My wife is already working a trade for the Blantons

Subjective but, I would trade the Woodford & keep the rest...

• I like it 1

Bought these two today. 

The Old Hamer was for my wife. She had a cocktail made with Old Hamer last Fall that she loved. She prefers it over KC9 and WR in cocktails. It is a corn bourbon so it is sweeter. While one dimensional, it actually has a lot of flavor for 80 proof. 

She tried the Alberta proofed down to around 95 to 100 proof with a few ice maker cubes. She isn't a rye fan even in cocktails.  She liked this one.

20230826_191436.jpg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

Four bottles? I thought limit was two? You must had a a helper shopper! 😀

Well done!

5 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Bought these two today. 

The Old Hamer was for my wife. She had a cocktail made with Old Hamer last Fall that she loved. She prefers it over KC9 and WR in cocktails. It is a corn bourbon so it is sweeter. While one dimensional, it actually has a lot of flavor for 80 proof. 

She tried the Alberta proofed down to around 95 to 100 proof with a few ice maker cubes. She isn't a rye fan even in cocktails.  She liked this one.

20230826_191436.jpg

Is that Old Hamer distilled in IN (MGP).

I'm enjoying some of that Alberta CS right now.  😊  I may bunker a couple more.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

That batch of Larceny is quite good. And that Woodford is the first one I really liked, generally not a big fan. I think the proof did wonders for the flavor.

Let us know (if it's kosher, I think trading might be frowned upon here) what you swap for. I generally do the same with regular Blanton's (or gift it for Christmas, it always has an interesting impact), I prefer other versions over the regular.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, PaulO said:

Is that Old Hamer distilled in IN (MGP).

I'm enjoying some of that Alberta CS right now.  😊  I may bunker a couple more.

I believe it is MGP.  They built a new distillery in Westfield but I don't know if they are making their own distillate yet.

• I like it 2

On 8/26/2023 at 6:36 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Four bottles? I thought limit was two? You must had a a helper shopper! 😀

Well done!

Yes, there were two of us. My wife was the one who got me out of bed early. I had decided to pass on this month's offerings, but she had other ideas.

On 8/27/2023 at 7:19 AM, Anwalt said:

That batch of Larceny is quite good. And that Woodford is the first one I really liked, generally not a big fan. I think the proof did wonders for the flavor.

Let us know (if it's kosher, I think trading might be frowned upon here) what you swap for. I generally do the same with regular Blanton's (or gift it for Christmas, it always has an interesting impact), I prefer other versions over the regular.

I'm not a big Woodford fan either. But, it's always a solid pour and never dissapoints. I'm looking forward to tryig the higher proof. The trade was for a Weller Full proof, (not arranged on this site) he is a two hour drive away and didn't want to meet half way so it fell through. c'est la vie. I'm also looking forward to trying this batch of Larceny.

On 8/26/2023 at 4:49 PM, bayouredd said:

Subjective but, I would trade the Woodford & keep the rest...

We can get the Blanton's every month here, and I really do want to try the higher proof Woodford. However, they did just raise the price of Blanton's from $59.99 to $64.99.😪

And the dump date missed our wedding anniversery by one day!

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 3

The kinds of texts & pictures I like to get. From a client who is also an airline pilot. This was out of the blue. Very nice!

"Hey, I got a stash of Japanese bourbons. I got 4 WT 12 yr @ $55 each. I somehow also ended up with an IW Harper 12 yr ($60) and Four Roses Super Premium ($40) if you’re interested in either of those. I’ve found one place with WT Master’s Keep. It was just under $200 after tax and was too early in PR to start texting, but I can get some of those next time if you’re ok with the price."

Two of the WT12's are going to Bourbon Bros. One at cost for favors done, and one as a gift to the guy who opened and shared a very generous series of pours from his only bottle of the same.

<sigh>. I love the WT12. I have not tried the other two. Any thoughts on how Harper 12 compares to 15 (which I like as a "smooth" sippy drink)?

Japanese Haul.jpg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Anwalt said:

The kinds of texts & pictures I like to get. From a client who is also an airline pilot. This was out of the blue. Very nice!

"Hey, I got a stash of Japanese bourbons. I got 4 WT 12 yr @ $55 each. I somehow also ended up with an IW Harper 12 yr ($60) and Four Roses Super Premium ($40) if you’re interested in either of those. I’ve found one place with WT Master’s Keep. It was just under $200 after tax and was too early in PR to start texting, but I can get some of those next time if you’re ok with the price."

Two of the WT12's are going to Bourbon Bros. One at cost for favors done, and one as a gift to the guy who opened and shared a very generous series of pours from his only bottle of the same.

<sigh>. I love the WT12. I have not tried the other two. Any thoughts on how Harper 12 compares to 15 (which I like as a "smooth" sippy drink)?

Japanese Haul.jpg

That insane network you have!  Glad I can count myself as being part of it😂

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Obree said:

That insane network you have!  Glad I can count myself as being part of it😂

I am very fortunate when it comes to the people around me. And thankful for it. Present company (pl.) included.

• I like it 4

visited a new bottle shop for the first time over the weekend. They are unique in that their business model is to really only carry single barrel picks. They were all available to sample and I went with this bottle from a local distillery that I have grown very fond of over the past year.

20230829_202636.jpg

• I like it 2

I bought 15 bottles on my month-long road trip last month.  I am no newcomer to the husband game so I have roped my wife into the bourbon world, forcing her to be an ally.  During all the tasting on our month-long road trip in July, she came away with a couple of new favorites, Maker's 46 and Green River.  So of course I bought those for her.  You'da thought it was roses from her reaction.

MM46 and Green River.jpg

• I like it 6

Shopping day. Yes I stopped. Yes I was surprised. Yes I bought.😁 First time seeing the ET BIB  here in our neck of the woods. Price was fair too. A liter for $23.99.

IMG_2529.thumb.jpeg.30d7c3ecc7f3f2f0b6b573deafd5585e.jpeg

• I like it 5