What bourbon did you purchase summer of '23?

Phil T

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FYI, homemade cookies work pretty well too. Whenever my wife makes cookies, I always ask her to make extra. Mailman, liquor store and Subway “were” the usual beneficiaries. Operative word, “were”. A nearby neighbor used to own the Subway a few blocks from our house. He’s an absolutely great guy. He sold it a few months ago, and It just ain’t been the same since. No more cookies for Subway. 🍪😏🍪

I have done that during the Holidays.  Caramels and cookies were well received.  She also does a fruit cake that is soaked in Makers Mark that they loved.

• I like it 4

Knob Creek 12 yr is 59.99 at Gomers KC  right now.  Couldn't pass that up tp give 2 of them new temporary shelter.. 

• I like it 7

Buffalo Trace. $ 39 before tax .OUCH.  Been NA around here for 3 months. WTF? Trying to drive the price up?  Was offered a Birthday Bourbon by my LS. What are they worth currently??

Went to few of our favorite spots looking for the new EC923. Talking to the folks at the stores, it appears that it hasn't been released yet in our area.

But, we picked up a few others. 

I'm thrilled to score 8yr 11 mo Bakers.

I need to do a blind with Baker's and Knob Creek 9. I love Knob Creek 9, but when I do a side by side comparison between Bakers and Knob Creek Baker's always wins. I think it might be confirmation bias. I need my wife to set that up for me.

20230909_162754.thumb.jpg.88402701ee0502f0332fcedb4a728d22.jpg

• I like it 2

Today, unexpectedly,  turned into a store pick Saturday. We were looking for ECBP C923 and found these.

20230909_162547.thumb.jpg.896985f0380214e8c3c84afc6fc30385.jpg20230909_162429.thumb.jpg.f0298ff5dc182dac6be1be96e318c5b1.jpg

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, Davesnothere said:

Today, unexpectedly,  turned into a store pick Saturday. We were looking for ECBP C923 and found these.

Nice pickups there.

7 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Was offered a Birthday Bourbon by my LS. What are they worth currently??

The guys over at Breaking Bourbon did a review of the '23 OFBB and their review states an MSRP of $170.

Not a "today purchase", but my brother lives in TN and I told him if he sees a Chattanooga BIB SP2019, grab one for me. He texted me about 2 weeks ago that he got it and would hand it off to our parents, who were visiting his family from NY at the time. Fast forward to this weekend, my parents are visiting my family now, and they brought the bottle. Not the SP 2019, it's the FA 2018, but I'm not complaining. I did call him and thank him, and let him know that if he does come across the 2019 I'd gladly pay him to pick one of those up too and have our parents mule it back on their next visit.

IMG_4997.jpg

• I like it 4

Has anyone had Green River 90 proof bourbon? The high rye version.  LS brought it in, checked YT and saw some  not favorable reviews. 

On 8/24/2023 at 10:59 PM, PaulO said:

Was it only one per customer, or did you buy several and save one for the bunker.

Got to make hay while the sun is shining.

Sorry, little late responding to this.  I only bought 1.  I'm way over my max allowed for the stash, although that seems to keep going up like the debt ceiling...lol

Anyway, I'm a Laphroaig fan boy who is not ashamed to admit it, so I'd only back the truck up on a Laphroaig sale.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Grady330 said:

Has anyone had Green River 90 proof bourbon? The high rye version.  LS brought it in, checked YT and saw some  not favorable reviews. 

Wife and I sampled it on our recent road trip and liked it, her especially.  Nice easy sipper. 

Oh, and you mentioned Buffalo Trace for $39; there's a lot of stuff we don't get in CA, but BT is falling off the shelves here, in the low-$20s at some stores.  Sorry.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Grady330 said:

I liked it, but even at just under $30, you are paying an up charge because it comes from a smaller distillery and has a fancy bottle.  The Bourbon itself is legit, compares to mid shelf from the legacy brands.

A couple bottles showed up at my local grocery store.  If they are still there when the next big sale comes, I may grab them.

• I like it 2

On 9/7/2023 at 4:54 PM, Kepler said:

Either that, or else he is really addicted to donuts and his wife won't let him buy any himself.  You're his drug pusher!  😆

Donuts are his crack.  🤪😀

21 hours ago, Kepler said:

The guys over at Breaking Bourbon did a review of the '23 OFBB and their review states an MSRP of $170.

Ouch.  Cheap Bastard might be all in on that if....they tossed in an 8 ounce filet, shrimp cocktail, and Two Tickets to Paradise (shout out to Eddie Money).

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

Not a "today purchase", but my brother lives in TN and I told him if he sees a Chattanooga BIB SP2019, grab one for me. He texted me about 2 weeks ago that he got it and would hand it off to our parents, who were visiting his family from NY at the time. Fast forward to this weekend, my parents are visiting my family now, and they brought the bottle. Not the SP 2019, it's the FA 2018, but I'm not complaining. I did call him and thank him, and let him know that if he does come across the 2019 I'd gladly pay him to pick one of those up too and have our parents mule it back on their next visit.

IMG_4997.jpg

I bet it is still good.  I am not sure I would have ever asked my parents to mule anything for me.  But, I am sure if I had asked they would have said no.  

But, siblings buying me booze even at 16, no problem.  I am sure the statute of limitations has long passed.  😀  Uhmm, not that I ever asked or they ever did. 😜

image.jpeg.bfbc97e206392444ec8b06e9b9dcfedc.jpeg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Ouch.  Cheap Bastard might be all in on that if....they tossed in an 8 ounce filet, shrimp cocktail, and Two Tickets to Paradise (shout out to Eddie Money).

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I bet it is still good.  I am not sure I would have ever asked my parents to mule anything for me.  But, I am sure if I had asked they would have said no.  

But, siblings buying me booze even at 16, no problem.  I am sure the statute of limitations has long passed.  😀  Uhmm, not that I ever asked or they ever did. 😜

image.jpeg.bfbc97e206392444ec8b06e9b9dcfedc.jpeg

Hahaha.  This is why I keep coming back to SB.com

• I like it 2

I got away from the hustle and bustle for a few days and holed up in Buffalo Gap, TX where I found a HMcK10 at a reasonable price on my way into town.  I don't know if it was the time and place and the rural peaceful setting I was in (I forgot there are stars in the sky, hundreds or thousands of them visible in fact!), but the creamy delicious mouthfeel (that I don't remember from past bottles) had me going back on the way out of town to grab two more for the return in Dallas.   I left one on the shelf for the next wandering soul.  

Edited by dcbt
typo
  • I like it 2

On 9/2/2023 at 4:00 PM, Thomm said:

Got some first-timers to try thanks to all the recommendations from you fine folks on the forum.  C922 ECBP is new to me, as is Larceny B522 and AAA.  I have to admit, the one that surprised me most was Ancient Ancient Age. I have seen Ancient Age (even in Wisconsin), but never the Triple A version until now. At 30 bucks a handle, I hope this becomes a rebuy. I need a competitor for WT 101 in the Plastic Jug category.

IMG_20230902_141403.jpg

There is no competitor for the WT101 in the Plastic Jug category.😉

I keep a bottle of the AAA 10 star for recipes,  and batches of bourbon slush.   

• I like it 3

I had to drop off my Wife's Audi for service on Friday and since I was close by, I made a stop at Rishi's liquor in Grand Rapids.  I was looking to see if they had the MM Cellar Aged but they had been told that the entire state of Michigan would get 30-40 bottles.  I did see it online for $600 which is four times MRSP.

SInce I was there and like the KO products, I picked up a bottle  of their Wiseman line.  I was hoping that it would be close to KO at one third the price.  Unfortunately, it was not even close.  I will not buy another.

image.thumb.jpeg.6eed5f89bf85c0b99bdd66ddfb5c3113.jpeg

Well, this was an expensive couple days! Mrs. Clueby and I went to the Motherland for a couple days. On the way down to Bardstown on Sunday we stopped briefly at Jim Beam and they were just putting some Baker's 13 on the shelf. Then we had a "You Do Bourbon" tour at HH. I picked the Select Stock 9 year malt and she picked Larceny BP. I'm not normally a a Larceny fan but it was stellar. The ECBP was a bit smoky and darker tasting and felt to me a little off profile for EC. The Bernheim BP was the weakest link of all the offerings. I passed on all the other gift shop offerings (EC18, ECBP C923. ECTB, HH7, Pikesville,  etc.) We stopped back by this morning to see if anything else was put out. I was REALLY hoping for a "grenade". Ended up grabbing a couple C923's after realizing they are 13y7mo and 133pf!  Stopped by Willett long enough to have a cocktail and for Mrs. Clueby to pet the cats.

On to MM for a "pre-release" Cellar Aged tour. MM is a BEAUTIFUL place. It was a great tour. We tried some white dog off the still (way better than expected vs others I've tried), thieved some regular MM, and ended in their man-made cellar. We got to try a non-cellar aged 12 year MM against the cellar aged version. The cold temperature in the cellar (the bourbon was cold) as well as the other stuff we already had probably wasn't the best for a fair trial of CA but it was clearly different that it's non CA brother. None of that back of the throat tannic bitterness..at all. I'm eager to try it under better conditions.

20230911_214218.jpg

20230911_145051.jpg

20230911_102916.jpg

20230910_141102.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 13

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

Well, this was an expensive couple days! Mrs. Clueby and I went to the Motherland for a couple days. On the way down to Bardstown on Sunday we stopped briefly at Jim Beam and they were just putting some Baker's 13 on the shelf. Then we had a "You Do Bourbon" tour at HH. I picked the Select Stock 9 year malt and she picked Larceny BP. I'm not normally a a Larceny fan but it was stellar. The ECBP was a bit smoky and darker tasting and felt to me a little off profile for EC. The Bernheim BP was the weakest link of all the offerings. I passed on all the other gift shop offerings (EC18, ECBP C923. ECTB, HH7, Pikesville,  etc.) We stopped back by this morning to see if anything else was put out. I was REALLY hoping for a "grenade". Ended up grabbing a couple C923's after realizing they are 13y7mo and 133pf!  Stopped by Willett long enough to have a cocktail and for Mrs. Clueby to pet the cats.

On to MM for a "pre-release" Cellar Aged tour. MM is a BEAUTIFUL place. It was a great tour. We tried some white dog off the still (way better than expected vs others I've tried), thieved some regular MM, and ended in their man-made cellar. We got to try a non-cellar aged 12 year MM against the cellar aged version. The cold temperature in the cellar (the bourbon was cold) as well as the other stuff we already had probably wasn't the best for a fair trial of CA but it was clearly different that it's non CA brother. None of that back of the throat tannic bitterness..at all. I'm eager to try it under better conditions.

To quote Lawrence Welk, “Wunnerful, Wunnerful!  Glad y’all had a good time and picked up some great bottles. 🥳

• I like it 2

I went by my regular LS to drop off bagels and pass some time.  I was looking at their store picks and noticed two CN-B offerings.  I have zero resistance when it comes to Camp Nelson offerings.

IMG_1037.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 9/12/2023 at 12:49 PM, markandrex said:

I went by my regular LS to drop off bagels and pass some time.  I was looking at their store picks and noticed two CN-B offerings.  I have zero resistance when it comes to Camp Nelson offerings.

image.png.1d320d60b77c25c018db3d248b6ac963.png

Wait a minute. Bagels?  What happened with the freaking donuts? 

43 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

image.png.1d320d60b77c25c018db3d248b6ac963.png

Wait a minute. Bagels?  What happened with the freaking donuts? 

Just trying to mix it up!🥸