What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Fall 2023

smokinjoe

GW4G with some prime dry-aged rib eyes off the barbie (Pittsburgh rare, of course).  I actually still prefer the prime dry-aged sirloin strip steaks (less fat) but I'll suffer through the rest of the steak (sigh).  🤣

• I like it 5

This was last night at a neighbor’s house.  His father passed away and he just got back in town.  He said he was not a fan of Old Grandad and offered me 6 of the BiB and 3 of the 80.  I told him it was too much and convinced him to try them again because it had been years since he tried them.

I went home empty-handed.  We drank our fill but yes I did cry a little when I got home.

The pic was after quite a few comparisons so, I apologize.

71806970235__2FB18469-261C-48E9-B117-6EB0615F29E2.fullsizerender.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 8

BT is hitting the spot tonight so on to second pour.

IMG_1062.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
Forgot the pic
  • I like it 4

85 degrees in early October calls for a freezer pour (or two) of Ancient Ancient Age.  Goes good with an apple cider donut.  

• I like it 2

We did a Weller blind(ish) during the Phillies game tonight.

The results were a bit surprising, but always subject to change tomorrow.

My ranking:

1 Weller 12

2 Special Reserve

3 107

4 Full Proof

2 and 3 could have easily been flipped, but the gap between 1 and 4 was more like a chasm.

My wife

1. Weller 12

2. 107

3. Full Proof

4. Special Reserve.

20231003_185318.thumb.jpg.0de337169cfc16ba72e7443b77f415df.jpg

• I like it 8

14 hours ago, Thomm said:

85 degrees in early October calls for a freezer pour (or two) of Ancient Ancient Age.  Goes good with an apple cider donut.  

What doesn’t?

• I like it 1

Post-dinner RR SBSP (CNF) from 2018.  The color and nose are amazing.  The palate is cinnamon, graham crackers, dried red fruits and lingers forever.  I would like to try this year’s version but I find it hard to believe it could be superior to this.  Fortunately I bunkered about 2 cases (at about $30.99/bottle) with the case discount.  By my calculations, I paid less for the two cases than 1 bottle would run me today, if I ever see it!

image.jpg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 5

24 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Post-dinner RR SBSP (CNF) from 2018.  The color and nose are amazing.  The palate is cinnamon, graham crackers, dried red fruits and lingers forever.  I would like to try this year’s version but I find it hard to believe it could be superior to this.  Fortunately I bunkered about 2 cases (at about $30.99/bottle) with the case discount.  By my calculations, I paid less for the two cases than 1 bottle would run me today, if I ever see it!

image.jpg

I really like that glass @markandrex. 😎  Not bad bourbon either. 😙

• I like it 2

A Christmas gift from my wife several years ago.  4 Norlan, I am quite fond of them also!

• I like it 1

I've had this a few times, but this is my first time purchasing it. I like it. I like it a lot. 

IMG_4685.jpeg

• I like it 7

Since the ragweed pollen won't seem to go away, I am having some WT101 in a hot toddy to combat my allergy symptoms. 

Edited by Double C's

Decided to forego the get together at the Legion tonight. Long story. 🤐  Better pours at home.  😉 Anyway, I started with a pour from a newly opened bottle of BT. Next up was ER. 🦬 🦅

IMG_2728.thumb.jpeg.81f153a56e8f324f2f00ad3c8964a445.jpeg

• I like it 5

To finish off the night, well, I am a Weller Whore. 😉 I had the last, healthy pour from a very, very good ps Weller Full Proof. I’ve been slowly nursing this one for more than a year. Yes, it was that good. 🥰

IMG_2730.thumb.jpeg.b35e501573ef14cbacf97bdca0ffe5be.jpeg

• I like it 7

My doctor recently told me to increase my exercise level, lose weight, improve my diet, and to drink a little less bourbon.  Does cutting back by 1/8 of an ounce per week count? 😀

She is right.  Up until June 2022, I was averaging 20-30 miles running per week and often more.  That's when I tore my meniscus and retired from soccer officiating.  I had surgery in November 2022 and here we are almost a year later and I am a slug on a rug.  Picked up about 15 pounds. 

Ramped up my walking/running, went back to my training diet (more protein, less calories and carbs).  While I check my weight after every #2 😜, I will wait until the end of the month to judge where I am.  Cut back on bourbon.  Tonight is my first pour of the week.  

Tonight's pour is KC9.  Spectacular as always.  If only, they could make a low calorie, high proof bourbon.  Unlike beer, which can "taste great and be less filling," lower proof bourbon is "tasteless and less fulfilling."  😀

• I like it 6

On 10/2/2023 at 5:46 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Wow, batch #7 has been a minute or two ago! I'm thrilled you had a victory cigar pour with it! 🥃

It's become my little tradition the past few years.  Since I rarely smoke a cigar, I started to have a pour of this special whiskey instead to celebrate a big win.  You really do a great job on these.  Superb stuff!  🥃

• I like it 4

On 10/4/2023 at 6:08 PM, JCwhammie said:

I've had this a few times, but this is my first time purchasing it. I like it. I like it a lot. 

IMG_4685.jpeg

What the heck is up there with those slanted fill lines?

• I like it 1

OF Statesman has been my go to in the OF line, but decided to grab a 1920, today.    I’ve pretty much stayed away from it since my first bottle I picked up when first released was hotter than Hades.  My next bottle some years later was much better.  This one is really good, too.  Cherry Cola and luscious Goetze’s Caramel Cream candy notes.  When I get the Goetze’s, the whiskey has hit my palate bullseye…😉

B9AA98C1-36B7-4C84-9ABE-6505B4D9867F.jpeg

• I like it 4

On 10/5/2023 at 3:22 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

To finish off the night, well, I am a Weller Whore. 😉 I had the last, healthy pour from a very, very good ps Weller Full Proof. I’ve been slowly nursing this one for more than a year. Yes, it was that good. 🥰

Is that a little drop left in the bottle? 😉

• I like it 2

Another long week at work.  Seems like every week recently has been filled with trying to pack a week and a half into 5 days.  I told my boss I am hoping to go to a 32 hour work week with a 40% pay increase. 😀  He told me "What if we let you keep your job and you can take the next two days off."  Oh, ok.  😜

Missed out on a bottle of HMcK10 at the local grocer today.  It must have been hidden in the back.  Dude checking out next to me had it.  He must have seen me eyeing it so he put in the bag quickly.  

Opted for a pour, maybe two, of ECBP 922 on a chilly, windy night as Fall is finally hitting Indy.

• I like it 5

We had a wonderful day with friends, visiting an apple orchard in Mooresville, then lunch at Gray Brothers Cafeteria.

Family is asleep now.  Out comes the WT 101.  🦃  

• I like it 2

Got the lawn mowed before the rain, changed out the last two 1960s era electrical outlets in the house, and started the lighting upgrade in the basement.  I think I deserve this.  

IMG_20231006_210837.jpg

• I like it 3