What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Fall 2023

smokinjoe

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Running with the herd again. BT in the glass. 🦬

I'm flying with the flock myself 🦃

• I like it 5

15 hours ago, flahute said:

What the heck is up there with those slanted fill lines?

Haha! I think my table may be less than level. 

On 10/3/2023 at 8:09 PM, markandrex said:

This was last night at a neighbor’s house.  His father passed away and he just got back in town.  He said he was not a fan of Old Grandad and offered me 6 of the BiB and 3 of the 80.  I told him it was too much and convinced him to try them again because it had been years since he tried them.

I went home empty-handed.  We drank our fill but yes I did cry a little when I got home.

The pic was after quite a few comparisons so, I apologize.

71806970235__2FB18469-261C-48E9-B117-6EB0615F29E2.fullsizerender.jpeg

It might be in my head but the screw caps just taste better. 

• I like it 1

Decided to go with the Solo rather than the outdoor fireplace for first fire of the season.  Enjoying it with a hefty pour of a locals Yellowstone pick.  

33F5595A-E6D9-47F5-8F47-B796E9B053A5.jpeg

• I like it 8

English murder mysteries on PBS are fun to watch while sipping on VOB 100.  Should have brought a glass as drinking from the bottle doesn’t quite fit with English mysteries.

• I like it 7

Gonna try climbing a mini Weller ladder tonight, with assistance from my brother (he gave me samples of  CYPB & WSiB). I don’t have an OWA and WFP open , therefore a mini. My first go at a Weller ladder, we will see how it goes. 

Opening up with WSR, as time goes by, I become more of a fan. It just is a comfortable pour. Not that complex, so no expectations, but it just tastes nice. 

Cheers

• I like it 4

12 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Gonna try climbing a mini Weller ladder tonight, with assistance from my brother (he gave me samples of  CYPB & WSiB). I don’t have an OWA and WFP open , therefore a mini. My first go at a Weller ladder, we will see how it goes. 

Opening up with WSR, as time goes by, I become more of a fan. It just is a comfortable pour. Not that complex, so no expectations, but it just tastes nice. 

Cheers

Lookin’ good  @Wedelstaedt.  👍 Please post some tasting notes later on.  FWIW, I’ve tried describing Weller SR a few times over the years. I probably only did a so-so job. In the simplest of terms you said; “but it just tastes nice.” You freakin’ nailed it! Nicely done sir. 😎

• I like it 3

Two big sports victories by my favorite teams today.  Sooners in the annual clash against the Longhorns. Then followed up by an Astros win in game 1 of the ALDS. 

I'm having a celebratory pour for both.

20231007_234111.thumb.jpg.d65a4dcadef691ea09ed8efee76a80c0.jpg

• I like it 15

47 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Lookin’ good  @Wedelstaedt.  👍 Please post some tasting notes later on.  FWIW, I’ve tried describing Weller SR a few times over the years. I probably only did a so-so job. In the simplest of terms you said; “but it just tastes nice.” You freakin’ nailed it! Nicely done sir. 😎

Wow, thank you Joe, compliments about anything Weller, from The self proclaimed “Weller Whore” means a lot. 👍😃
I will do my best on tasting notes. 

Cheers 

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Two big sports victories by my favorite teams today.  Sooners in the annual clash against the Longhorns. Then followed up by an Astros win in game 1 of the ALDS. 

I'm having a celebratory pour for both.

20231007_234111.thumb.jpg.d65a4dcadef691ea09ed8efee76a80c0.jpg

Boomer

• I like it 2

Yesterday - Michters 10y bourbon and that Peerless Rye SP I've been trying. Both were very good.

• I like it 1

On 10/5/2023 at 8:56 PM, mbroo5880i said:

That's when I tore my meniscus

Looks like I did the same, or close to it. Not sure if it's "all the way through", but walking has been rough, never mind kicking people and whatnot. I may pick your brain on rehabbing it, haven't decided on surgery yet.

Stupid aging. Makes ya wanna drink.

• I like it 1

On 10/3/2023 at 6:59 PM, GeeTen said:

(Pittsburgh rare, of course)

I like 'em Pittsburgh charred, but closer to medium rare. Gotta have one heckava grill to get it hot enough.

I stick a cast iron frying pan in the oven at 500 for 20+ minutes then put it straight over a gas fire. Great for those steaks and smashburgers. But creates a lot of smoke, Wifey does not allow it indoors.

• I like it 1

On 10/3/2023 at 11:16 PM, Davesnothere said:

We did a Weller blind(ish)

Gonna try that and see what happens.

during the Phillies game tonight

Sounds like that might distort one's judgment. 😉

but always subject to change tomorrow

Ain't that the truth.

On 10/4/2023 at 6:26 PM, markandrex said:

Having some Bookers before dinner.  Ky Tea from last year.

I liked all of last year's Bookers.

I have not tried this year's yet. Any favorites for 2023? Did the much-maligned Apprentice Batch deserve the bad rap?

Pumpkin spice is now in everything but this too far

just kidding saw this elsewhere and thought I would post it just to rile up the Weller lovers

IMG_3364.jpeg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I liked all of last year's Bookers.

I have not tried this year's yet. Any favorites for 2023? Did the much-maligned Apprentice Batch deserve the bad rap?

The only one I had from 2023 is the KY Tea.  I have a lot of the older/earlier editions but heard this was very similar in profile.  I would agree.  Nose is currant, toffee and leather.  Palate is currant, nutmeg, leather and oak. Finish is oak fanning to currants.  

We worked in the yard all day yesterday so today is for relaxing.  It is a sunny and warm Fall afternoon, so KC9 sours on the deck is just what I needed.  

• I like it 2

Cheers to you Sooner guys.  I watched a good part of that game.  Really entertaining, and what a spectacle that rivalry is with Texas.  I love college football, and while OU and TU will be extremely worthy programs to join the SEC next year, I hate what is happening with teams being lured into other conferences like that.  USC and Oregon et al, going to the Big 10?  Ugh…. 

• I like it 3

10 minutes ago, markandrex said:

The only one I had from 2023 is the KY Tea.

I think Kentucky Tea is 2022-3, the one Mr. Fred touted.

The JDSBBP mentions, in 

other threads, triggered this pour.  

20231008_150411.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3