What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Winter 2023?

Skinsfan1311

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Tried blending Larceny BP with regular Larceny.  This pour was two parts BP and one part regular.  Pretty good.  Tamed the heat of the BP without watering it down.  Tried another pour at 50/50 and liked it even better. 

Larceny BP and Larceny.jpg

Diluting whiskey with whiskey is always a win. 

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

20240302_190851.jpg

Sound like a plan.  RR SBSP - CNB for the evening.

• I like it 4

Cousin offered me a pour of regular JD… i was not excited but had a small pour anyway. He is not into bourbon at all, just keeps it for when he gets sick. Anyway, incidentally he keeps his in the fridge.. it was a surprisingly nice pour when cold. 

• I like it 3

Learned to take the wee bottles when I travel. I've been in Knoxville and Charlotte visiting the kids, headed to Jacksonville for an event. Shared the following with The Boy:

1) SFTB 120.2 (we both preferred this one blind over #2)

2) SFTB 130.6

3) Michters BS Rye (one of my favorite ryes, Obree really hooked me up here)

4) ECBP C923 (Loving it more & more, for all that the ECBP's are consistently good, this one really does stand apart)

5) Larcency C922 (Very good, I think the B523 might be a touch better)

6) JD SBBP Rye - picked up two more in Charlotte, just crazy bang for the buck. I gave one to the guy who gets me a lot of W12/SFTB/Gold in France, he & his crew went nuts over it.

7) 4R SBLE22, The Boy liked this one a lot

8. RB 12y CS Irish 

9) BS 7y Irish (edged out the RB blind by a teeny margin)

I bought a Garrison Brothers Cowboy bourbon back in late 2021 when I was just starting out. Bought it in PA at an evidently good price. It lives with my daughter. Man, it is good. I do not normally care for Garrison Brothers - but the Cowboy bourbon is for real. Sooo viscous, dark, still sorting out the deep flavors.

JD SBBBP R.jpg

ECBP C923.jpg

• I like it 7

14 hours ago, fosmith said:

Tried blending Larceny BP with regular Larceny.  This pour was two parts BP and one part regular.  Pretty good.  Tamed the heat of the BP without watering it down.  Tried another pour at 50/50 and liked it even better. 

I need to try this. Some of the BP's drink hot.

• I like it 1

On 3/1/2024 at 4:06 PM, smokinjoe said:

Early start here, too!  Counting on Woodford MC 124.7 proof to warm up the motor for the weekend!  

I was surprised at just how good that one is. I like their BP offerings way better than the normal/DO.

26 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

The sum is definitely greater than the parts.   It's the only way I'll drink either.  

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Learned to take the wee bottles when I travel. I've been in Knoxville and Charlotte visiting the kids, headed to Jacksonville for an event. Shared the following with The Boy:

2) SFTB 130.6

4) ECBP C923 (Loving it more & more, for all that the ECBP's are consistently good, this one really does stand apart)

6) JD SBBP Rye - picked up two more in Charlotte, just crazy bang for the buck. I gave one to the guy who gets me a lot of W12/SFTB/Gold in France, he & his crew went nuts over it.

8. RB 12y CS Irish 

I bought a Garrison Brothers Cowboy bourbon back in late 2021 when I was just starting out. Bought it in PA at an evidently good price. It lives with my daughter. Man, it is good. I do not normally care for Garrison Brothers - but the Cowboy bourbon is for real. Sooo viscous, dark, still sorting out the deep flavors.

JD SBBBP R.jpg

ECBP C923.jpg

I wish I could find more of the ECBP C 923, was able to get 3, but all gone now. Magical juice. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Grady330 said:

I wish I could find more of the ECBP C 923, was able to get 3, but all gone now. Magical juice. 

Yeah, Secondary is up to $150 in most places. Selling two on Unicorn, they've been going for $200 there. Already got 2 replacements for $130, looking for the third. Then I'll tell people I left two alone in the dark and that they really, really liked one another...

Has anyone tried the A124? Sometimes the critics are right and sometimes not. Granted, compared to C923, it'll all be downhill. Still, the mania for ones like the C923 leaves some perfectly good stuff for others.

Is anyone else here an A122 fan? Because of the "low" proof/critics it's not hard to get at $60 - $70. I really like that one.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I agree they do seem to drink hot.  To me, this A122 at 124.4 proof does.  Blended with the 92 proof regular it comes in at a nice 108.2.. 

• I like it 3

Huh. Took a closer look at the Garrison Bros Cowboy Bourbon. It was a 2017 purchased in 2021. Looks like the PA Liquor People misplaced it then mispriced it, as I paid $60. MSRP was $130 back in 2017. The present secondary is $400.

And only the State got $crewed, happy ending.

I don't think it's a $400 bourbon. But $60? Yup!

• I like it 4

On 2/24/2024 at 3:32 AM, Wedelstaedt said:

With all of the talk about Four Roses, I had to go to the cabinet. Pulled out 4R SmB.  
This expression is overlooked by many. Too bad for those folks.

4R SmB is a fine whiskey, which will always be on my bar. 

Hail to The Cult!! 🌹

4R SmB is one of my go-tos. Consistent.

• I like it 4

Last night, it was pours of my HH BIB blend and EH Taylor SmB. Happy BIB Day!  Probably only a small pour of my HH blend tonight. Gotta help coach my special needs/autistic bowlers tomorrow.😁

• I like it 3

Enjoying a pour of HMcK10 Single Barrel BIB on BIB Day! while watching the first Harry Potter movie.  I believe I will stick with Heaven Hill and opt for a pour of ECBP B523 to wrap up an all too short weekend.  

• I like it 3

I have it on good authority that this is a good blend.  Regular Larceny with a B522 at 50/50. 

IMG_20240303_195542.jpg

• I like it 3

I am digging everyone's take on the home blend Larceny. 

FWIW, my personal favorite Larceny home blend is any Larceny Barrel Proof mixed with a Larceny 92 proof private barrel store pick at 50:50.  The 92 proof store picks are noticeably better than the standard Larceny shelfie.  Unfortunately I haven't see a new Larceny store pick in my neck of the woods in at least a year.   Hopefully they will return to shelves soon.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

For Bottled In Bond Day, I went with JW Dant.

• I like it 1

Sometimes I go months with out sipping on MM 101 and I’m always so impressed with it. I Need to sip it more. Such a good inexpensive poor.
Although very different profiles, I will put it on the same parallel with WT 101. 
IMG_6927.thumb.jpeg.abe217407a8603b11c3956e9f0955676.jpeg

• I like it 2

I missed bib day yesterday, so I had a bib pour this evening as well as a pour of woodford.

20240304_193500.jpg

20240304_183850.jpg

• I like it 1

On 3/3/2024 at 8:08 AM, Anwalt said:

2) SFTB 130.6

8. RB 12y CS Irish 

JD SBBBP R.jpg

ECBP C923.jpg

Those little bottles are great.  They're great for road trips, when you want a variety, but don't want to haul a lot of bottles.   

• I like it 1

Late reporting but BIB day was celebrated with a nice HH6yr. Slainte!!

I’m having a pour of ‘19 GTS.  We just got home from seeing Dune P2.  Amazing!  
That refers to the GTS and the movie.  Both are close to perfection.

• I like it 1

Georgia Bourbon Society Elmer T, while arranging things on my desk after a very hectic day, and in preparation for what I expect to be a similar day tomorrow…if not more so…

CFA97BE7-22C2-49E6-A9CA-7F1AC5E137A1.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Georgia Bourbon Society Elmer T, while arranging things on my desk after a very hectic day, and in preparation for what I expect to be a similar day tomorrow…if not more so…

CFA97BE7-22C2-49E6-A9CA-7F1AC5E137A1.jpeg

A double GOAT. ETL the goat, GBS goat approved.