What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sunday evening before another working week...might as well go out in style, so I started off with some Van Winkle 10yo, followed by a glass of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey. Ahhh...

Are you going to tune it in open "G" or use an "A" tuning like the Master (Brother Oswald Kirby) ?

Joe :usflag:

99% of the time I'll play acoustic in open G - I am not bad but pretty far from the Masters - Rory Block, Bob Brozman, Ben Andrews etc.

A restful night of whiskey, guitar and a couple of fight dvds to watch - does it get any better?

Been working on some OGD 114. I'm ususally a wheater or a low rye kinda guy, so this was quite interesting for me. After my initial shock of the spiciness, I noted many things to like. It's fairly strong neat, though very palatable. I tried it with a single ice cube to see what would happen, and I noted that some of the sweetness originally masked by spice was allowed to come out. It will now be in my regular rotation...

Old Forester 100 proof with an old-style square (not diamond) label.

I am a bit disappointed by this bourbon, which I had high hopes for as I am generally a fan of Old Forester 100 proof and had heard that the bottles with the older label were superior to the current diamond-label issue. But this is not really doing it for me - the initial nose was good, but I am now getting off notes that I can't easily identify. It is acidic and not particularly flavorful on the palate. Not sure what's up, but I'm not thrilled.

Evan Williams black label with a dribble of Elijah Craig 18 y/o.

IMO this combination is more enjoyable than either bottling alone. What's really amazing is that just a few drops of the EC18 completely take over the lower proof, less flavorful bourbon. At the outset I had thought I might gradually alter the blend in favor of the EC18. Now if I do so, it will be solely out of curiosity. It's hard to imagine how strengthening the flavors would make the drink more enjoyable.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

AAA 10 star...not that I can compare it to anything else Ancient Age, but it's acceptable. The wife even took a sip and said she liked it.

Quite frankly, after a long hard, fun day, it's tasting pretty good.

Eagle Rare SB, follwed by a Blanton's. This is why I refuse to complain about what BT can't distribute in this market. These along with a steady supply of Rock Hill Farms is nothing to sneeze at.

Tonight I was in the mood, so I pulled out the bottle of Old Pappy Van Winkel 20 year old. Smooth, of course, dominant note would have to be toast. I also taste a bit of nutmeg, vanilla and caramel.

Great stuff, but it is not my favorite bourbon, that honor still goes to the Eagle Rare 10 year old. I guess price isn't everything :-)

Joel

Finished a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, which I felt okay about doing since I'm going to Kentucky next week.

This might very well be the best bourbon in current production.

A late afternoon ETL.

What a super whiskey - it's been couple of months since I last inbibed.

My sneezer is most assuredly detecting brown cane sugar and maple syrup. As I roll the whiskey around my whistler, I can taste apples lightly dusted with cinnamon. The rye does not hit home until the finish but when it does it is most welcome. I venture that this is the best whiskey avalilable at 90 proof.

A tad too sweet for some perchance?

This summer I have been lucky enough to find 6 bottles of Eagle Rare 101, Pappy 23 #1431, and my first purchase of Wild Turkey Rye and RR 10yr 101. Wow, what a summer!

I first had a nip of Power's Gold Label Irish, and the followed it up with a pour of Fall '05 Stagg. Next up, VG 90.

Just returned from dinner at a nice Thai Restaurant, so I'm keeping with the spicy theme...Rittenhouse Rye BIB and Saz Jr. Tonight, these two ryes couldn't be more different, but both are Delicious!

JOE

...mmm Thai...

I'm finishing off a snifter of Eagle Rare 10. I've purchased this a few times and every time I buy it I wonder why I don't buy it more often. It’s a great pour, I love the way the bottle looks, and the price is right! Next time I buy this I’m getting the 1.75.

Speaking of "love the way the bottle looks", for me tonight it's Kentucky Spirit. A recent inventory revealed an unopened bottle, which gave me license to drink from the half-full one with abandon. I've already had two pours by midnight; I may have a couple more. If I could afford to buy KS any time I want, I'd have an alcohol problem, for sure. Drinking a 750 ml. bottle in two days does not seem to be out of the question.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Last night I had my first sample of VOB 100, I wasn't that impressed but I didn't dislike it either. Then on to Ezra B 101, I like this very much. Then to my ceramic jub of Henry McKenna. This I hated! I read somewhere that this was someones favorite bourbon, I must have an off bottle.

Then Eagle Rare 101, that was nice!

Just had my Sunday roast with the family and am drinking a Pappy 20 straight up.

This bottle may just be the smoothest Bourbon I've ever had. No dryness to the finish that I find with it's 15YO cousin and alot more smooth vanilla flavour, somewhat similar to Lot B. What a pour!

Last weekend I opened up a "Vintage Bourbon 21 Year Old".

I was not as pleased with it as I thought I'd be. It was a bit to spicey or peppery, and a little hot.

After one neat, then one on the rocks I decided I just don't like it and I'll try not to remenber what I paid for it.

OK,... a few days later I tried it again, and I like it. So I had my wife try it again,(she to did not like it at first), and now she likes it.

Did the opening of this bottle to breathe change it that much?

It is smoother now, not hot, and a little sweetness to it.

Also I have to mention that before the initial opening of the "Vintage", I finished up a bottle of Old Fitzgearld Bottled In Bond. The two to close to each other did not get along.

Ezra B 101

The 12 y/o or the 15 y/o? I really enjoy the latter; never had the former. Reports so far on the 12 y/o are not encouraging.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

The 12 y/o or the 15 y/o? I really enjoy the latter; never had the former. Reports so far on the 12 y/o are not encouraging.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave, I really like the 15 y/o also. I'm a fan of the regular Ezra Brooks as well, particularly considering the price.($15-$16 for the 1.75 here in Georgia) I had the 12 y/o at a company Holiday party last year, and I had no complaints. Maybe, I was just in the Holiday Spirit!:D I actually was somewhere between shocked and thrilled to see this as an option from the open bar. Usually, it's the general Jim Beam or Jack Daniel's as American whiskey choices.

JOE

Gonna call it a night with a Kentucky Vintage, and I get the overwhelming nose and taste of cantaloupe. I am near the end of this bottle, and I have consistantly observed a grassy, vegetal hint that I enjoy. But, the cantaloupe thing hit me like an anvil...and I like it! I wasn't planning to get another of this one, but now I may have to reconsider.

JOE

I've been taking a bit of a break from whiskey for a few days just to give my body a break, but after watching my beloved Red Sox get spanked by the ******* Yankees for the fourth game in a row, I decided it was a good night to delve back in. Tonight it was Lot B, BMH 11, RR 101 and last but not least Weller 12.

Only 5 1/2 games back, I know my boys can come back. Go Sox.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Actually it is 7 Years Old.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!