What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw a bottle of Corner Creek today at $14.00, so I picked it up. Trying it tonight and it's not a bad pour at all.

JOE

Spend most of tonight at a bar trying various assorted microbrews and then I introduced a red wine enthusiast friend of mine to bourbon. I started him of with a George T. Stagg, Spring Lot B, which is the love it or hate it of bourbon, IMO, and he loved it. He can't wait to hit the liquor stores with me to pick up a bottle. I'm so glad to have another convert.

At home I made a brown zinfandel with EW 1783 and I haven't decided on my last pour of the night.

George T. Stagg, Spring Lot B, which is the love it or hate it of bourbon,

Tim,

That’s exactly what I think it is as well. Personally I love it.

Leif

Kind of new to all of this; my standby is Beam white label. IT's basic and it works for me. I do also enjoy Old Overholt for a rye. Haven't done much carousing around in the high end stuff yet as I am trying to build up a basic-across-the board representation of various whiskies.

Started off with a pour of Weller 12 and now it's Lot B. I'm surpised to say it, but I might like the Weller 12 better.

Last night was Maker's stuck back in a barrel for, what? about 6 months now? Night before was my first EWSB '96

The '96 was very good. Well rounded, sweet and smooth. About what I'd expected... no, maybe just a touch better.

The Maker's has taken on some wonderful barrel notes and is really gaining in complexity..... This one may be done sooner than I'd expected... We'll see.

Ken

Started off tonight with a couple of short pours of Old Forrester 100, a new bottle and I really like it. I followed that up with some Bulleit to see how it compared. The Forrester blew the Bulleit out of the water. After that it was Rare Breed. Now I'm having a shot of Stagg that I've been on for over an hour. Can't rush the Stagg.

Can't rush the Stagg.

You are right about that! Stagg definately has it's own pace... Do not pour one if you have somewhere else to be. And there's nothing quite like it. Had to crack another bottle open just the other day... Spent over an hour with it. Hmmm....

Ken

Last night was Rye night. Saz Jr. followed up by VWFRR. Saz Jr. was pleasant enough, I'm still not 100% into it yet. VWFRR was better, much more mature and complex. Very enjoyable pour.

Stagg, like a lot of things we enjoy, shouldn't be rushed!....Slightly of the subject,....In all seriousness, their is just something so alluring about The Stagg's color to me!

Can't rush the Stagg.

That quote would make an awesome poster/t shirt! It's been waaaayy too long since I had some GTS.

Tonight it's Bulleit (cheap and cheerful over here) followed by a generous pour of Lot B - the latter is simply sublime!

Tonight I poured some Weller 12. Sometimes my palate is very tempromental and my bourbon tastes very astringent. I know its me, not the bourbon. So then I poured some Corazon Anejo. It's been good to me.

Last night was Weller 12 (maybe my favorite Bourbon?), ETL (went down super smooth!), and then Eagle Rare 101.

Tonight, lots of Sam Adams Light and a decent Bogle Cabernet. Not enough room for bourbon, unfortunately.

Tonight, one pour of VG90 and one more of OGD 114. I need to lay off the Manhattans for a while - it's too easy to drink too much...

Well, just finished off a bottle of port that I basically went through during this final hell week of bar studies (so I could get to sleep, not to help with the studies.) I'm having some WT Kentucky Spirit right now, and am taking a small 250ml bottle of Old Fitz BIB down to Roanoke with me for good luck (and help with sleep.) I am not ready for the bar exam, but I figure no one ever really is. At least it will be over soon and I'll be on vacation. See you soon, Randy!

Finishing a bottle of Old Weller Antique. Definately enjoyed this one and will probably pick it up again.

Old Fitz BIB from S-W. What better way to prepare for the multistate portion of the bar exam tomorrow?

Last night was a very good night. A good buddy of mine came into town from Orange County and I decided to break out some good bottles.

Started off with a nice cigar and a glass of ORVW 15, I'd been saving it for a special occasion and that was good enough. It was very good, but I don't know if I'd rank it above the Pappy 15, but that comparison stands only when paired with a cigar. Next it Tribute, now that's a great cigar bourbon and then a shot of Lagavulin 16, the good one from the White Horse Distillery and then we opened up some ORVW 10 107 and then it was to Sazerac Rye 18 and then I drank a lot of Bulleit on the rocks after that many I didn't even mind the Bulleit. It was a great night just sitting outside enjoying the evening cool with some great bourbon.

Dan -- Good luck on the bar exam.

Right now, I am having what I have been having often, lately. A WT101 Manhattan cocktail. God, I love these things!

Tim

Van Winkle Family Reserve, Lot B. My first pour of this stuff. I must say, I am quite impressed, great flavor. Gonna pour myself another as a matter-of-fact.

Lot B to celebrate being done with the bar exam! Shared it with a few friends, one of whom had also endured the unique form of torture designed by the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners, and rarely has bourbon tasted so much like...relaxation and relief! Also told them a bit about Van Winkle and the Stitzel-Weller Distillery after they started asking about the bourbon. May have converted a scotch drinker...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!