What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight, It's Bulleit, I was using in a marinade for Flank Steaks and another for bbq ribs. I was staring at the bottle for so long, I decided to pour myself a glass. I'm actually enjoying the Bulleit, a pleasant surprise.

For a bit of a change i've started tonight with a Rum...Inner Circle Black Dot.

For a bit of a change i've started tonight with a Rum...Inner Circle Black Dot.

OK Leigh, nothing against rum, but I gotta get this back on track... :lol:

Tonight I am having Wild Turkey 12 Year from an export only bottle. Took me a while to realize the export only's are 700 not 750ml. I MISS that 50ml, but for only 35 tax free dollars I will not complain further. That WT is some really fine stuff. I'd love to have A LOT more because there seems to be stress coming from every where right now, but I just need to get to sleep soon... of course I am known to talk myself into more bourbon just about every week.

Speaking of stress: why is common sense, courtesy and respect so hard to come by in friends, acquaintances and family???

Ok, maybe I've talked myself into some more, maybe a little AAA.... Hey it's August 1st (almost), what's that BOTM gonna be?

Mainly ETL but Sunday night I mixed half and half of PVWFR 15 year and JD Single Barrel; I know this is probably against some kind of bourbon law, or something, but the combination was very good. The maple flavor went very well with the dryness of the PVW.

More Sapphire or Beefeater's?

Tim

Personally, Tim, I'd go for Tanquery 10. It's my "go to" Gin (if I actually have such a thing). It makes a good Martini and recent discoveries of G&T and Bitter Lemon have shown it to stand up just fine. Tried a few more exotics recently, Junipero, Henrick's and Magallen.... They're all fine but nothing to knock 10 out of my bar (and not worth the extra effort to find!). 10 has nice botanicals that really make for a nice refreshing mix. Does anyone drink Gin neat??? Doesn't seem appealing to me.

Ken

I laid a bottle of WLW on my neighbor as a gift for his upcoming annual golf outing. He stopped by a few minutes later, glasses in hand, with a bottle of EW SB 94.

We shared toast (or a few) to good neighbors and good friends.

Personally, Tim, I'd go for Tanquery 10. It's my "go to" Gin (if I actually have such a thing). It makes a good Martini and recent discoveries of G&T and Bitter Lemon have shown it to stand up just fine. Tried a few more exotics recently, Junipero, Henrick's and Magallen.... They're all fine but nothing to knock 10 out of my bar (and not worth the extra effort to find!). 10 has nice botanicals that really make for a nice refreshing mix. Does anyone drink Gin neat??? Doesn't seem appealing to me.

Ken

1) I'll look for the T-10, but I don't recall seeing it, around here. We have the regular Tanqueray, though.

2) I decided to buy the Beefeater's, which I have not had in quite a while. I've pretty much stuck with regular Bombay and Sapphire for a while, now.

3) Isn't straight gin what people are drinking when they have their bone dry martinis with no vermouth in them?

Tim

3) Isn't straight gin what people are drinking when they have their bone dry martinis with no vermouth in them?

Tim, I don't care much for regular Tanquery (or Beefeaters or Bombay for that matter) Saphire is okay but T-10 is IMO better. And I can find it locally so...

3. May be. I don't have many Martinis and I mix them about 3:1. You always hear that "Just let it smell the vermouth" stuff but never went there myself. An aside, my wife used to occasionally ask for a Martini...(?) Turns out she just likes olives:grin: Never cared for the drink.

Ken

Had a nice pour of EC 12 which has become my front bottle on the bar then I went to EWSB 95 in my Riedels Bourbon glass. For the night cap I had a little tap of A.H. Hirsch 16 to make me sleepy for the evening. I think the EC 12 is as excellent reasonably priced go to drink for me. It will be on my bar for the foreseeable future.

bj

Right now, it's a head to head with Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength Red Stripe and Ardbeg Uigeadail. I'd say the Uigeadail is the winner, it is far more complex and a bit smoother. They are both better with just a few drops of water. But they are both outstanding Islay's.

I feel like tonight's going to be a Scotch night.

Update: Couldn't keep going without any bourbon, so I had to pour some Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

I started the evening off with a pour of OGD114. I really enjoy the flavor of this, and though not a tobacco user...that description of the flavor seems to sit well with me. That and a wonderful cinnamon heat that does not last, just kicks my taste buds alive and then slowly dissipates.

I am putting myself to bed with a small pour of VWFRR. Rye must be my theme of the night...

Had a real nice pour of PVW 15yo. I then sampled a couple ounces of EWSB. The PVW 15 was so good it ruined the flavor of the EWSB which I really like. I guess some bourbons go together and some do not. I am still learning.

bj

Well while having dinner this evening at a Bourbon oriented restaurant in L'ville this evening I got to try a pair of the BT experimental collection whiskies-the Fire Pot and Twice Barreled(yes I got a good deal on them, otherwise I would have tried just one). They didn't have the French Oak version.

The Fire Pot, seemed much like an older version or maybe even a Tennesseed(Sp?) of OC12 or ERSB. Not bad at all, but a tad on the pricey side for the pour-but then rarity is expensive. I would consider buying this again, but not at the price it sold for.

The Twice Barreled, on the other hand was way over oaked and reminded me of the first bottling of Pappy 23-for those of you who don't know my opinion of that bottling, let's just say it's a lot like licking the stave. However unlike my experience there, this bottling was less dry(sweeter) and fuller bodied. I would not say it is a dreadful pour at all, but not typical of my bourbon taste profile expectations.

Overall while the Fire Pot is a good pour and should be well regarded, the Twice Barreled offers a lot of new and different flavors that the average bourbon just can't begin to deliver.

I find it funny that, thinking about it, if I was to order another, it would likely be the Twice Barreled, because the difference between it and other bourbons is much greater, whereas if I wanted something in the profile of the Fire Pot, i could find other bourbons that repesented the flavor profile of that bottling in much less scarce bottles. Would I turn down the chance to get any of the BT EC bottles? Not if I can get them at original retail prices. Would they get opened soon? Probably not.

It was an Anchor Brewery Porter. My first time with this beer, but I really like it. An excellent porter. After that is was a small pour of Talisker 10 for a nightcap.

I began much earlier tonight with an OGD BIB-based Manhattan (using Peychaud's and Regan's Orange Bitters), and, after a long hiatus, I'm having some WT Rye neat.

It's an Eagle Rare night. I started with the 101. It had a little too much kick for me tonight. I added water a couple of times before it tasted just right. It had a very pronounced caramel nose and palate. The finish was surprisingly quick. This bottle happens to be the 1.75 L. size, which is plastic. This must be the best bourbon ever put into a plastic bottle.

On a whim I next reached for the Eagle Rare Single Barrel, which is bottled at 90 proof. The flavors are similar but gentler. The finish lasts longer than my attention span.

Yes, I'll miss the 101 for its superior value, but the SB is a more intriguing drink.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

A pull of Bulleit straight from the bottle. For my money, that's the way it tastes the best. I mean this for Bulleit ONLY of course. :grin:

After falling asleep watching the Angels game which all but destroyed any chance of getting to the gym tonite, I decided to revisit the Buffalo Trace that I had just opened last night. It is a splendid pour (and very elegant bottle) that I am very grateful for the member who helped to to get it for me!

After that I had a little WT 12 year from the export only bottle, I notice a distinct difference between the 3 versions of the 12year I have had (gold, split and export), and think the export is my least favorite of them - it seems to have the woodiest flavor which I am finding the more I drink younger bourbons the less I like it.

I had a couple pours of Buffalo Trace last night for the first time and as reported before by other forum members this is one of the best values for the money out there. I will keep this one on the front of my bar for the foreseeable future.

bj

It was an Anchor Brewery Porter. My first time with this beer, but I really like it. An excellent porter.

Tim,

As you said. An excellent porter!

Last night I finished off a bottle of Hirsch 16 Blue Wax. My admiration for this bourbon has only grown since I first opened it. Will forever rank in the tip top tier of bourbondom.

-Mike

Last nite Eagle Rare 10yo on rocks.

Tonite, OGD BIB (Heaven Hill) mixed with Ginger. Good on a hot day.

Corner Creek, followed by Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. The OCPR is one of my favorites, but the Corner Creek shone tonight. The thing is, it shines every time I try it. I seem to always expect to be dissapointed, but I always really kinda like it. It's very drinkable....I think I'll have another!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!