What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't had Elijah Craig in a long while I bought a bottle today. I am really enjoying this pour.

Ed

I've taken a liking to the Leinenkugel's summer wheat lately, nice summer beer. Unfortunately that is not what I'm drinking right now, I thought I was reaching for that and some how ended up with St Pauli Girl :banghead:

My brain is slowing melting away...

some how ended up with St Pauli Girl

heh heh... my girlfriend looks EXACTLY like the St Pauli Girl, that was her last years halloween costume. funny.

Continuing to enjoy Lot B and WT KS in short pours. The Manhattan idea is looking better and better however. Need to get some better sweet vermouth and check my ever present non ending bottle of bitters.

...1792 Ridgemont Reserve...Neat..This one opened nicely by the time I was through..I like the Butterscotch and/or toffee notes that I got. I know their has been some mixed reviews on this one, but I like it particularly, and the price seems fair enough.

Well, I'm a week late, but right now I'm celebrating my birthday with a rather large pour of Rock Hill Farms. This is currently my special occasions whiskey and it is filling the bill very nicely.

Tim

I intended to grab a pour of Noah's Mill or Evan Williams SB 95

Somehow I've ended up with a pour of Blantons Original and it's "lip-smacking good" :D

Well, I'm a week late, but right now I'm celebrating my birthday with a rather large pour of Rock Hill Farms. This is currently my special occasions whiskey and it is filling the bill very nicely.

Tim

Many happy returns Tim!

I am fresh out of RHF but raised an ER 10YO to your good health. Off to London later today so another RHF is on the cards pretty soon.

Last night was Heaven Hill 10 YO 86 Proof and AAA 10 YO. Neither seemed to get me too excited last night. Oh well.

Tonight is a much different story than last night. ETL and now Weller 12 from Binnys. Both have relieved this weeks stress with much success. I now have a bottle of RHF that I received for my first Father's Day winking at me.

I think I know what to do.

After polishing off my first martini, I've switched back to Manhattans - first one with OGD BIB, now one with Rittenhouse BIB.

Overall, I'd say that I prefer Manhattans - but a martini is a very nice diversion just the same.

Me? I'm a Manhattan man who tolerates the odd Martini. I like my gin with some tonic and a lime!

Now y'all have me wanting my annual martini. But, I'm pretty sure there's no gin left in the house.

Wait, there may be a small bottle of Bombay Sapphire in the back. Yes! I have to go mix one up.

I need to put gin on the shopping list, too. More Sapphire or Beefeater's?

Tim

Much like whiskey I started drinking gin with the good stuff and never messed with the lower end. I once ordered a g&t and it was awful but I couldn't figure out what was wrong. The bartender couldn't figure it out either as it was Beefeater's.

I figured it out pretty quick.

BTW, RHFs if going down extremely well. Why are we discussing gin?

Finally signed off on a big project at work today so I'm rewarding myself with a nice snifter of George T. Stagg. It's like Jim Murray says, once your eyes stop watering, your in eden!

Had a white russian a while ago, which was mandatory, for I was watching The Big Lebowski. Now, I've got some EWSB 1996 in front of me. Being only 25, EWSB was the first bourbon I bought legally, and I've tried it every year since then. This will be my first taste of the 1996.

After a long, long day at work...a nice pour of VWFRR to take the edge off prior to hitting the sack. Great flavor ...just the right amount of spice...and now the world almost seems civilized again.

Tonight I've been getting reacquainted with Evan Williams. I almost wrote "7 Year Old" out of habit, but the bottle I bought today lacks an age statement.

It's been so long since I've tasted the earlier version that I hardly recall what it was like. I wish I'd kept a reference sample, but how was I to know they'd change it?

I chuckled recently at a description used by a well-known author on bourbon -- "cotton candy and a Winston", IIRC. That phrase came to mind at the first sip. The hint of grassiness in the taste also recalled some version of EWSB I've had in the past, but I have no idea which one. However, that impression was fleeting. I don't get a lot of flavor here, but what there is isn't bad.

I'm not sure whether my current pour is my third or fourth of the evening. I find that 80 proof bourbon can be deceptively smooth.

The next time I pour from this bottle, I think I'll add a dash of Elijah Craig 18 y/o. My current bottle of that one seems a little too smoky for my taste, but I'll bet it will enhance the rather bland EW.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

That is a good idea for blending. I'd use about 1:9 EW black label to the EC 18. If the EW needs more EC 18, add a bit more. I had EW black label recently and the younger whiskey (younger than 7 years, I was inferring) showed through. I like the taste of whiskey where the distillery flavours aren't effaced by barrel tones (this is the cotton candy fruitiness referred to). Good younger whiskey can often be shown to better advantage with a leavening of older whiskey. In Canada we used to have a brand of Canadian whisky called 8 and 18 which was a blending by the house of 8 and 18 year old whisky. What Dave proposes is exactly what they did, except with bourbon. If you have a heel tap of EC 18 (say an ounce or two) just up-end your EW black label into the EC 18 bottle. Fastidiousness with proportions, while doing no harm, is rarely a "sine qua non" of a good bourbon whiskey vatting.

Gary

BTW, RHFs if going down extremely well. Why are we discussing gin?

Sorry. They were talking about martinis and led me astray. :rolleyes:

Tim

Had a white russian a while ago, which was mandatory, for I was watching The Big Lebowski.

Sam,

Some movie that! Haven’t tried white Russian seeing it though, but it certainly make you peckish to do so.

Leif

I’m having my first ever pour of Elmer T Lee. Definitely one of the sweeter tasting bourbons I’ve tried. I’m now sorry I have been putting off trying this one for a while. Although the practice of mixing does make sense to me I also really like the idea of single barrel bourbon.

So, I just rolled home to the Bluegrass State (a long sweaty drive in a truck with no A/C). I realized somewhere in Mississippi that I had forgotten to grab any of my open bottles from LA and just figured I'd use that as a good excuse to open some bottles. Upon surveying the shelves to see if I had anything open, I noticed a bottle of OC 13yr open, then notice a bottle of ER 101 sitting on the table. Thinking to myself "not bad choices" I get ready to go grab a glass, when what do I notice sitting on the floor next to the desk? Not one, not two, but three open bottles-this leads me to believe that the last time I was here was a chat night. I feel like I just hit the motherload-Saz 05, OC BIB and Dickel SBR. Suddenly I have a real decision to make, surveying the contents, I notice that the Dickel has just one healthy pour left in it, so pour it I do.

Yummy. I'm not quite sure one pour of even this Dickel is worth that drive, but it's close.

I am visiting my aunt & uncle in colorado, and my uncle poured me my first (second, third, etc.) taste of EWSB. I quite enjoyed it. I might see about picking up a bottle when I get home.

Joel

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!