What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I enjoyed a generous glass of WT Tribute tonight (outstanding, btw) when my girlfriend and I met Randy and his wife for drinks at Ten Downing St in Houston. Thanks again, Randy!

A very nice pour of Weller Centennial. Very nice flavor...sweet, smooth, yet with just enough bite. What a great way to relax before hitting the sack.

I tried to resist, but I couldn't, so one (just one) swig of Buffalo Trace. Am I the only one that really notices a serious resemblance to GTS in the BT, or vice versa... Anyway BT is an incredible value!

Last night was our 10th wedding anniversary and as a gift, Leslie got me a bottle of Pappy 23 from the last release (AKA Pappy 22 1/2 from a previous tasting at the '05 Sampler.) We paired that with some specialty chocolates that we picked up in St Helena while staying in Napa last week. There is a certain finesse to this bourbon that is hard to describe, but it is deicious to say the least. It paired very well with the chocolates. If anyone cares I might talk about the wine we had with dinner in another forum.

Time that sounds great. I haven't had any J. W. Dant as of yet. I see an 80 proof expression on the shelves for a low price, but haven't picked one up. I have never seen it discussed here. I often see the BIB praised. I wonder if its lesser sibling is worthwhile. Anyone have an opinion?

Ed

Just now I am having a pour of Old Ezra 15 yo 101 proof. Lovely, lovely bourbon. I remember BourbonJoe expressing high regard for this in the past. You would never guess it to be that high a proof. Mild, with cinnamon lurking in the finish. It is more complex that my simple notes indicate. This was a dusty shelves find, not something I see everyday. I got it for eleven or twelve bucks, much less that the Ezra Brooks 12 sitting next to it. I will be one sad puppy when it is gone.

Ed

Corner Creek, followed by Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. The OCPR is one of my favorites, but the Corner Creek shone tonight. The thing is, it shines every time I try it. I seem to always expect to be dissapointed, but I always really kinda like it. It's very drinkable....I think I'll have another!

I have only had one bottle, now half full, of this and I really like it.

Ed

I remember a comment by Bamber about GTS tasting like high proof Buffalo Trace. As he drank more of the GTS he had a higher and higher opinion of it, but I thought his initial comparision to BT high praise for that bourbon.

Ed

• I like it 1

old taylor 100 proof BIB 1972...a mighty fine pour

I really envy you guys. I hardly ever see BIB. I think the only one I have ever had is Mellow Corn BIB.

Ed

Last night was our 10th wedding anniversary

Congrats! Many happy returns of the day!

Ed

Just bought a new "Regal" resonator guitar. It sounds okay and the case was thrown in for free.

I am clebrating a steady Friday with a Sazerac Rye 18YO, which I also raise to you Jeff. Many (belated) happy returns on your 10th anniversary! A gift of Pappy 23 as well - surely it gets no better?

Just now I am having a pour of Old Ezra 15 yo 101 proof. Lovely, lovely bourbon. I remember BourbonJoe expressing high regard for this in the past. Ed

Ed,

You lucky son-of-a-gun.

Joe :usflag:

Time that sounds great. I haven't had any J. W. Dant as of yet. I see an 80 proof expression on the shelves for a low price, but haven't picked one up. I have never seen it discussed here. I often see the BIB praised. I wonder if its lesser sibling is worthwhile. Anyone have an opinion?

Ed

Ed,

I haven't had any of the new stuff but I did have an 86 proof, 10 y/o Dant (1959/1969). This was one of the best bourbons I ever drank. It was loaded with the fruit congeners that a lot of older whiskey has and which I love. Don't know what the new stuff is like but I'll bet it wouldn't hold a candle to the Dant of yesteryear.

I am probably tempting fate or lead poisoning, but I've been sampling from my WT 8YO from the Bacarrat Decanter and it is absolutely delicious.

Its color is comparable to the 12YO Gold Foil (another recent favorite), but incredibly smooth with that WT snap at the end.

I keep thinking I should transfer it out of the decanter into glass, but figured its probably already picked up as much lead as it ever could...

Last night was our 10th wedding anniversary and as a gift, Leslie got me a bottle of Pappy 23...

Not having an anniversary bourbon, Leslie and Jeff, I'm lifting instead a short glass of 2002 birthday bourbon :toast: -- to a handsome and congenial couple whose warmth helps comprise the conviviality of our Bardstown (and other) gatherings. Best wishes for today, and many more years to come.

This was an up and down evening. Started out great with a pour of WT 12 yr Split Label. :) But...I killed the bottle. It's hard to throw out that dead soldier.:( However, I recovered quickly with a delicious Evan Williams 15 yr.:) All's well that ends well!

Cheers!

JOE

Went to Dave and Busters in Philly tonight to hang out with some friends, play some games, and drink. I was a bit thirsty when I got there since it was a long drive so I had a quick Heineken to start. When I asked the bartender what bourbon he had the first thing he said was Jack. :/ Fortunately they had WT101, which I ordered and did not get in a snifter like I asked. In addition to the improper glass (imo anyway) the stuff had no burn whatsoever so it was probably watered down. The next drink I got confirmed this suspicion as it was from another bar (They have 2 or 3 in this place, this one was from the bar/pool hall section of the place rather than the arcade area.) and it had a lot more burn (not only that but they actually listened to me when I asked for it in a snifter!). Watered down first glass or not it was a pretty good time. Now I’m home sipping a snifter of Elmer T Lee. Good stuff.

Bulleit bourbon, aka, "frontier whiskey".

I can't help but wonder which frontier the purveyor had in mind. I'm getting a fruity, flowery effect from the nose and palate, with not much happening at all in the finish. Given its marketing image, I expected to gasp and croak out, "Now that's whiskey" upon taking my first sip. Instead it strikes me that this is more like a pre-mixed cocktail. Another impression is that it tastes more like Irish whiskey than bourbon.

Addendum: I guess I was thinking about this one overnight. This morning it hit me that the fruit flavor is very close to apricot with a touch of fresh peach.

This is one strange, make that "intriguing", bourbon. I can't really say whether I enjoy it enough to buy another bottle.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Just finished cleaning and restringing my new resonator geetar and am having a slug of BT 90 proof. It's raining outside (boy did we need some!) and I'm glad to be indoors with this rather fine whiskey.

Maybe I'll treat myself to a Pappy 20 later - if I behave myself...

Just finished cleaning and restringing my new resonator geetar and am having a slug of BT 90 proof.

Are you going to tune it in open "G" or use an "A" tuning like the Master (Brother Oswald Kirby) ?

Sam Houston small batch... my first impressions are that this is a truly vile bottling. Further musings (hopefully more positive) to follow....

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!