Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

Ethan Hawke is pounding the BT throughout his new film Sinister. Also, not bourbon, but I'm pretty sure a few different bottles of Macallan make a cameo in Skyfall, the new Bond flick, including a bottle from '62, that is supposed to be ~50 years old.

Wow, 48%. Respectable drinking. I wonder if it used to be BIB, but the corporate owners felt the need to chip it down a bit. Gonna be a bunch of pissy Browncoats when that stuff hits 86 proof.

More crappy Bastille on this weeks Walking Dead.

Must be the only whiskey that survived the zombie apocalypse.

More crappy Bastille on this weeks Walking Dead.

Must be the only whiskey that survived the zombie apocalypse.

Then they've got bigger problems than just the zombies.

Then they've got bigger problems than just the zombies.

They're going to need some cream for that burn.

Speaking of "crappy whiskey" why do so many men of power in movies drink less desirable brands? I keep going back to Robert De Niro in Analyze This. He's supposed to be this big shot mafioso who lives the good life and he's always drinking J&B blended scotch. With all the detail they go into in set design (there are no small decisions in movie making) you'd think there would be a drink that is congruous to the stature of the character. Then again, maybe De Niro really loves J&B.

When they inevitably produce the biopic of my significant and influential life please don't let someone say "he liked bourbon, right? Just throw some Jim Beam in the frame."

Speaking of "crappy whiskey" why do so many men of power in movies drink less desirable brands? I keep going back to Robert De Niro in Analyze This. He's supposed to be this big shot mafioso who lives the good life and he's always drinking J&B blended scotch. With all the detail they go into in set design (there are no small decisions in movie making) you'd think there would be a drink that is congruous to the stature of the character. Then again, maybe De Niro really loves J&B.

When they inevitably produce the biopic of my significant and influential life please don't let someone say "he liked bourbon, right? Just throw some Jim Beam in the frame."

Product placement, which has little to do with maintaining the integrity of the character. Since the majority of people watching the movie don't pay attention to what level of liquor the character is drinking, the studio throws in whoever wrote them the biggest check.

I was going to post what Miller said. Truth is advertizing dollars are responsible for all the labels facing the camera, down to the smallest detail.

• 2 months later...

Not a movie but I just saw a bottle of vintage 17 and a bottle of pappy in the series finale of The Office.

Terribly depressing movie, but Tim Heidecker drinks Lot B almost all the way through The Comedy.

My life's too short to sit through any movie that doesn't entertain me.

Product placement, which has little to do with maintaining the integrity of the character. Since the majority of people watching the movie don't pay attention to what level of liquor the character is drinking, the studio throws in whoever wrote them the biggest check.
This is why Bond drinks Smirnoff.

This is why Bond drinks Smirnoff.

The original (fictional) James Bond drank Talisker.

[EDIT: and with that gentlemen, I've reached the Devil's Post marker]

Edited by ChainWhip

i'm a huge bond nerd. fleming's bond in most of his novels was a whisk(e)y drinker, bourbon in particular. some site a few years back actually compiled a list of all the drinks bond ordered/drank in fleming's original books. ian fleming, himself though, drank bourbon and gin...hell, the first chapter in Goldfinger is titled "Reflections in a Double Bourbon" :)

i'm a huge bond nerd. fleming's bond in most of his novels was a whisk(e)y drinker, bourbon in particular. some site a few years back actually compiled a list of all the drinks bond ordered/drank in fleming's original books. ian fleming, himself though, drank bourbon and gin...hell, the first chapter in Goldfinger is titled "Reflections in a Double Bourbon" :)

It appears that my Devil's post is just a rehash of myth and thanks for correcting the misinformation.

I found this old archived site that lists Bond's drinks by novel and movie:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060808222515/http://007.atomicmartinis.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Once again last night, Sheriff Walt Longmire and his friend Henry Standing Bear took to the Blanton's on Longmire. Did shots of it, even.

Saw the movie "The Internship" today. Pappy shows up in the first 5 min of the film, and again in the last min. Expect new traffic here of folks trying to find it. I am a huge bourbon fan, but nothing is worth this type of hype.

You're welcome for the alliteration in the title.

Been waiting for it to pop up on NF... can't wait to check it out. Though I read somewhere (maybe here?) that there's some doubt as it pertains to the 'reality' of the show.

Even if not quite authentic, the show is still great - terrific characters - Tickle is awesome.

Yeah, there's some legal dispensation going on else they would all be in prison. They do actually know how to make whisky though.

• 4 weeks later...

Just re-watched an old favorite, "Kiss Me Deadly." Noticed for the first time that Mike Hammer keeps a bottle of Kentucky Tavern in his apartment. I think he drinks from another bottle of Kentucky Tavern while at the apartment of his assistant, Velda. Hammer also gets blackout drunk on bourbon while at an LA club.