Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

In the new series Boss on Starz, an episode or two back, the current governor and the possible governor to be share some Blanton's.

On a rerun of "The New Adventures of Old Christine," where they all go to Christine's mother's house for Thanksgiving, there is a bottle of Maker's Mark in the hutch.

My GF brought a cringe inducing scene in 'Crazy, Stupid, Love.' to my attention in which Ryan Gosling seduces Emma Stone by making Old Fashioned's and later drinking Pappy 20 in bed.

• 4 weeks later...

In The Undefeated Colonel James Langdon, played by Rock Hudson, says to Colonel John Henry Thomas, played by John Wayne,*

"If I can find the time I'm going to sit down and write the social history of bourbon."

As they share a drink.

Ed

I am certain there's a Clint Eastwood movie in which his character sits down at a bar and orders Wild Turkey. Anyone know which movie it is?

That would be the Eiger Sanction. It fact there is quite a bit of WT in that movie.

• 5 weeks later...

The movie Cookies Fortune starts out with a couple old black guys in a blues joint drinking what looks to be a wild turkey pint (older 8 year style).

He also goes into a local business to visit a friend who says "you want a drink?" and he says "No, never before Tom Brokaw."

He tells a local fish delivery girl that she smells like fish. She follows that with "you smell like turkey." at which point he pulls it out and gives her a nip.

Needless to say, Wild turkey continually more ties than that throughout the film.

Anyone catch the Pappy siting in Justified tonight? From apple pie to PVW, Justified is growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, if you did not catch or watch they poured it into coffee. Please NO!

However, if you did not catch or watch they poured it into coffee. Please NO!

It was pretty clearly a PVW20 from the looks of the foil and label. Very cool.

And the new season bad guy completely passed on it. Now I really don't like him.

I would have passed on the coffee - but not on the Pappy. :cool:

Rich

Anyone catch the Pappy siting in Justified tonight? From apple pie to PVW, Justified is growing up.

But Arlo Givens still loves his Wild Turkey, as shown on the kitchen table at Ava's house.

It was indeed Pappy 20 y/o on Justified, but when the bottle is against the light it is only half as dark as it should be. Cast must have drank it all before filming....and then they had to use prop bourbon...

In the Showtime series Homeland, Brody is sitting at the bar drinking shots of "bourbon, straight bourbon," when Carrie (Claire Danes) sits down with him and remarks, "You know, I never knew the difference." Brody replies that straight bourbon is aged two years in American oak barrels. Kind of a nifty little shout out, though I would have preferred the phrase "at least two years."

I'm really enjoying the show. I'm about halfway through and have fallen in love with Claire Danes all over again. Been a sucker for her ever since My So Called Life.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but in the new Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts film "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close", WT101 is shown in a few scenes, both in the grandfather's apartment and at his local watering hole.

I know it was mentioned previously that in one episode a bottle of Ten High was spotted in Gibbs desk on NCIS, but in the episode Revellie, in his basement FBI agent Fournelle asks Gibbs for a drink and Gibbs directs him to a bottle on the shelf, whem Fournelle grabs it and asks him, "Who drinks bourbon any " he is holding a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

For all you in the UK and those with netflix streaming- in the 1990's show Father Ted"- season 1 episode 6- right at the 10:20 mark "grant unto him eternal rest" right at the 10:20 mark, one of the characters, the really old rambunctios alcoholic priest who can only say "women" or "drink" ends up dieing, minutes later, when one of the priests sits in his chair to mimic him, a bottle of rebel yell is apparent just to the left of him.

A smartly written and probably paid for phrase uttered in the new HBO horse racing series Luck, following the melodrama of a horse being put down..."You never get used to it. That's why they make Jim Beam." Looked like miniatures of Makers and Knob Creek in another scene too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Tonight it was Boyd Crowder and his flunky Devil enjoying some Wild Turkey 101 on Justified.

Great show that appears to have some staying power.... at least I hope so...

Elmer T. Lee has been the most prominent bourbon featured on "Justified" for several episodes now. Talk about product placement. . .

• 3 weeks later...

In the recent no reservations Kansas City episode there was a brief shot where Bourdain was slugging PVW 20yr from the bottle at a KC chiefs tailgate. Not the first time Bourdain has had PVW in his shows.

• 1 month later...

In Frankenhooker, Zorro the pimp drowns his sorrows at the bar after all of his girls are killed using supercrack and you can see a bottle of Wild Turkey and a bunch of empty Heinekens in front of him.

Again, not a movie, but I can't believe how much bourbon (and scotch) the guys on the t.v. program "Mad Men" throw down while at work. The executives can't even enter a room without someone handing them a drink! The producers of the program are so meticulous in their efforts to re-produce the look of America in the early sixties that I find myself always looking carefully to see what tax-stamped bottles they've found to decorate the set. So far, I've seen old WT and OGD among all the bottles of J & B, Cuttysark, etc. That generation of Americans sure knew a thing or two about drinking (and smoking).