Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

In Frankenhooker, Zorro the pimp drowns his sorrows at the bar after all of his girls are killed using supercrack and you can see a bottle of Wild Turkey and a bunch of empty Heinekens in front of him.

I'm going to guess that movie night at your house is an interesting time, indeed... :lol:

I'm going to guess that movie night at your house is an interesting time, indeed... :lol:

I have expressed that same sentiment in in the past as well :slappin:

Yeah, it's a good time and I'd imagine that most people would get to see a world of cinema that they don't normally see or may not even know about. Things just keep getting better and better too thanks to BD; I've seen some really surprising rarities show up on the format already and many of them are absolutely stellar presentations. Anyway, regarding Frankenhooker, for those who haven't seen it, take Bill Murray's advice (as quoted on the back cover of the new BD from Synapse), "If you see one movie this year, it should be Frankenhooker!". :]

Not bourbon... but in Last Man Standing (Bruce Willis movie), it's prohibition era Texas, and in the opening scene, Bruce is driving while pulling back on a 350ml size J&B. I was thinking to myself... It's Texas, wild-west type setting, shouldn't he be drinking bourbon?!? Later on, he spent a lot of time in the town bar, and it seemed he drank bourbon, though I couldn't recognize the label. Anyone remember if it was a 'real' whiskey?

Also, started watching True Blood thanks to HBOGO. Even though many scenes take place at a bar, they usually take care to hide the labels when somebody grabs a whiskey. One of the episodes though, Tara drinks straight from a bottle of WT101, only 'half' hidden. Maybe WT got a half-off deal for the advert. ;)

In the Marvel Comics "The Avengers", which I just saw (and really enjoyed), there's a scene in the home-bar area of Stark's apartment at the top of his Stark Tower.

Stark is pouring himself a whiskey while having a little chat with Loki, and the only bottle really visible among the decanters and barware looks a whole lot like the back of a bottle of Lot B.

It's a clear wine bottle facing away from the camera, filled with amber liquid, red up top, small-size square white label down near the base.

If I have it right, not only does he have good taste, but even billionaire playboys must have trouble getting bottles of the 15, 20, and 23! :slappin:

On the last episode of Mad Men, there is a bottle of Wild Turkey on the bar cabinet at Megan and Don's apartment. Anyone else catch that? What did the WT bottles look like in the 60s?

On the last episode of Mad Men, there is a bottle of Wild Turkey on the bar cabinet at Megan and Don's apartment. Anyone else catch that? What did the WT bottles look like in the 60s?

A great resource for old bottle and label designs is looking up the ads on the net and on fleaBay. Just a simple search like "wild turkey ad" should do the trick.

In the 1960's, the bottles looked like a "standard" whiskey bottle, with a tall white label, "Austin Nichols" at the top, "Wild Turkey" text on two lines and a bird picture in the middle, and a red stripe at the bottom of the label with the 8 year age statement, with the 8 in the middle.

but even billionaire playboys must have trouble getting bottles of the 15, 20, and 23! :slappin:

Have you checked eBay? These are readily available for billionaires.

There's a pic or two here that shows a bottle of WT from '69

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?17037-Dusty-Finds-2012&p=273494&viewfull=1#post273494

Not a movie, but the Bond novel "Live and Let Die" Bond drinks OGD. Actually, in the books Bond drinks champagne a lot more often than he drinks anything.

On last night's episode of Longmire on A&E, Henry Standing Bear (played by Lou Diamond Phillips) mourned the murder of a fellow Cheyenne over a pour of Blanton's.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't sleep last night and sipped an ounce of FR1B while reading Haruki Murakami's newest novel 1Q84.

In the book, one of the main characters, Tengo, goes to a local watering hole and asks for bourbon on the rocks. The waiter says, "All we have is Four Roses, is that OK?" This is set in Tokyo in 1984. Murakami is known for mentioning whiskey brand names in his books, but this is the first time I've seen him mention bourbon.

This was a cool one I hadn't seen posted here....

In Young Adult, there's a character (played by Patton Oswald) who has his own distillery in his garage. The first few shots of his garage show him using a torch to char oak barrels then go on to show everything else.

Charlize Theron's character says something like "Wow, you make your own moonshine" and Oswald is insulted saying something like "This is oak barrel aged bourbon!". He has a conversation with her about it, telling her how it's aged, different flavors, etc. Gives her an 8 yr old bourbon and she just swigs it down, making him grimace.

There's a few good little convos about it in the movie, a nice little treat for bourbon fans.

She also guzzles down a LOT of Maker's Mark throughout. :)

Edited by JPBoston

Bulleit showed up in last weeks episode of True Blood.

Drunk Sookie is the only tolerable form of Sookie.

Watching the original Crazies, from '73 I believe, and there were several shots of Old Grand-Dad and other ND products.

In Down By Law Tom Waits' character walks a run-down street with an ad for Old Grand Dad BIB plastered on the building beside him.

The girlfriend and I went and saw "People Like Us" last weekend and there's one scene where the main character is in his father's old office, which also had a bar. I think I remember seeing an old IW Harper decanter, among other bottles/decanters, on the bar area.

Rear Window was on this past weekend and while watching "Jeff" (James Stewart) his detective friend Doyle and Grace Kelly drink whiskey from

a bottle with red label lettering. I could not make out the details. The movie was from 1954....any candidates? I wish I could find a screen shot capture.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Rear-Window.html

INT. JEFF'S APARTMENT - NIGHT - SEMI-CLOSEUP

What he has observed seems to give Jeff an idea. He moves

his wheelchair backward and to the left alongside the side

board. Awkwardly, with his left hand, he reaches up for a

bottle of whiskey. He cradles the bottle in his lap, and

reaches for a tumbler. He then wheels back to the window,

and pours himself a good, long drink. He lifts up the glass,

starts to drink, but something happening beyond his window

startles him and he stops in the middle of his drink, his

eyes a little wider then usual.

A lot of booze scenes in that film within the apartment and the party taking place in the other apartment windows.

http://www.alfredhitchcockgeek.com/2011/11/rear-window-and-case-of-swirling.html

The lovely Grace Kelly with brandy snifters...

Love the camera rig he used...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Travel/Late_offers/pictures/2010/3/12/1268420313965/rearwindow-001.jpg

Edited by p_elliott

Rear Window --- One of my all time favs. :)

There's a big Hitchcock blu-ray boxset coming soon... can't wait.

Edited by p_elliott

Blanton's appeared again tonight on Longmire, though it wasn't enough to convince a judge to sign a search warrant outside of the titular hero's county.

Edited by p_elliott

• 3 weeks later...

Not in the movies or on TV but today on the Bluegrass channel of XMRadio I heard,......"Knob Creek" by Steep Canyon Rangers.

And you can to if you click below.

Edited by p_elliott

Not bourbon.. but the bar in Total Recall ('90) has a few bottles of Dickel in the background.

Edited by p_elliott

A few weeks ago Breaking Bad had some Whistle Pig being poured in the DEA's office.

Edited by p_elliott

• 2 months later...

Pretty nice rye list on the carmenjello episode, The League season 3. If my local bar had pours of VWFRR for $13, I'd be there every night!

post-8121-14489818358381_thumb.jpg

Edited by p_elliott