What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I uncorked the Rock Hill Farms I picked up today.

Bottle: Pretentious short and square, reminds me of my Dads crystal decanters when I was a kid. (That's not as negative as it sounds, just how it hits me, and I like to pay attention to the package)

Color: Medium Amber

Nose: Leather, a little oak, fruity.

Taste: Smooth, a little spice, orange peel, and I know its not on the list but it hits me as almost "carbonated"? That burn you get from a soda, but it does not get too hot.

Finish: This really hangs on in a good way. A little smoky, burnt sugar.

I was happy with this bottle. I am kind of neutral on Blantons, just did not find enough flavors or uniqueness to be worth the $$. This one on the other hand is a keeper.

I find it reassuring that I am not alone in my perception of the relative merits of Rock Hill Farms and Blanton's. To me your characterization of Blanton's is right on.

In somewhat the same vein I've noted a flavor that seems like hot Seven-Up in more than one bourbon. I don't think I've ever had the nerve to mention it.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I bought this bottle just as the bottling was about to disappear from the Van Winkle line-up. By the time I realized how good it is, I couldn't get any more.

I've never compared it head-to-head with VWFRR 13 y/o. Going by memory it seems less zesty and more oaky -- not what I'd expect, given their relative ages. It reminds me of molasses.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

In somewhat the same vein I've noted a flavor that seems like hot Seven-Up in more than one bourbon. I don't think I've ever had the nerve to mention it.

Blantons was the first bottle that gave me that sensation, then RHF. I kind of browse at the list of terms prior to opening a bottle. I really try and pick up flavors and smells to match the list? Kind of cheating maybe? There are a few flavors and sensations I can pick up on my own, but others I have trouble describing. The soda thing just wouldn't get out of my head...and I tried...but hey all our tastes are so different I just went with it. Glad I am not alone!

:toast:

Last night I had a couple pours of 2005 Birthday Bourbon. I can't wait to try the 2006.

bj

It's better than the 2005 IMO.

Joe :usflag:

EWSB 91. I finally cracked open this one on Sunday. It is almost gone. Wow, this is by far the best of the bunch and I have tried them all (from 90 to 96). Never thought there was a Heaven Hill product with a strong caramel signature. Found one.

It's been a rye night for me... a Rittenhouse BIB-based Red Hook and a pour of WT Rye accompanied a rousing good game of Scorched 3D, and now I'm sipping some of my Hirsch 8yo Canadian Rye. Hopefully, I'll soon clear enough bottles than I can start in on my BTAC stash...

First it was Buffalo Trace. Finishing off with a spectacular Ezra B 15 yr. :)

JOE

Back to my Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, bottled Sept. 3, 2004.

I could get used this. It is everything that I have heard it to be, carmel, fruit, and pepper spice.

I have another bottle of it that I have not opened, it was bottled on Aug. 22, 2003 and it is a lot darker than the '04.

Rittenhouse 21. On at least this occasion, I might argue that they waited too long to bottle this. Last night, at least, it seemed too smoky to me.

Tonight I am celebrating number 41 with a drink of I.W.Harper 15, the bourbon witth my name in it. It isn't everyday that I bring this bottle out!

Thomas

Rittenhouse 21. On at least this occasion, I might argue that they waited too long to bottle this. Last night, at least, it seemed too smoky to me.

oh, I would like to try that.

Elmer T Lee Gold Wax,

I am a huge Blanton's fan. Love that Pour. But...

Every time I drink this I wonder why I pay the premium price.

Some Weller 12 while helping sonny boy with his home work...now a nice pour of WT 101 while I sit down to game a little on the computer...nice lazy night.

Some WT101 while I watch some Nip/Tuck. Watching movies and my favorite shows has always been my favorite thing to do while enjoying some good bourbon.

Tonight I am celebrating number 41 with a drink of I.W.Harper 15, the bourbon witth my name in it. It isn't everyday that I bring this bottle out!

Thomas

You're celebrating George H. W. Bush, the 41st president? :);)

Actually I was celebrating my 41st birthday. I didn't even consider the fact that H.W. was the 41st presodent!

Thomas

Tonight I am drinking some BIB brands. First it was JTS Brown and then Evan Williams white. Neither is the best I have ever had but both make an enjoyable mixed drink!

Thomas

I'm sipping on some 2006 William Larue Weller neat. This stuff continues to impress...caramel sweetness and a nutty undertone...enough alchohol to singe your chest hairs. I love it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.