What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ouch! What I didn't buy was one of the Hirsch 16 yr bottles I saw today at $165.00. Guess I should have picked up a couple more a few summers back when I saw them for $65.00! ...anyway I picked up a WT KS bottled in 2002 and I bet that won't taste too shabby. Tom

A 'handle' of Old Charter 8 year at a price lower than I've seen it lately. Plus a 10% off coupon from the merchant. Didn't plan to buy it, but couldn't resist the price. The bunker can always use more daily fare 'ammo'.

Ouch! What I didn't buy was one of the Hirsch 16 yr bottles I saw today at $165.00. Guess I should have picked up a couple more a few summers back when I saw them for $65.00! ...anyway I picked up a WT KS bottled in 2002 and I bet that won't taste too shabby. Tom

Is the Hirsch really that great... haven't tried it but know of a few under $100... should I pull the trigger?

Is the Hirsch really that great... haven't tried it but know of a few under $100... should I pull the trigger?

Maybe, if wax-sealed -- blue (buy it!) or gold (hmmm?...).

No, if it's the last gold-foil capsule -- unless you plan to sell it somewhere down the road instead of drinking it.

No, if it's the last gold-foil capsule -- unless you plan to sell it somewhere down the road instead of drinking it.

I second Tim's comments. I haven't had the pleasure of the waxed releases, but if I had tried the Gold Foil prior to purchasing I wouldn't have even paid $50 for it. I have tried it from 2 different bottles and found them both the same.

Scott

I second Tim's comments. I haven't had the pleasure of the waxed releases, but if I had tried the Gold Foil prior to purchasing I wouldn't have even paid $50 for it. I have tried it from 2 different bottles and found them both the same.

Scott

Thanks to both of you for the advice and warning... I was literally a day away from pulling the trigger and buying 2 @$75 each since I've heard so much talk about how great it is and no more to be had etc.... I'd hate to have a hyped bottle in my stash that isn't worth its salt.

Include me, as one that doesn't get the fuss over the Hirsch Gold Foil. Particularly for the price (>$100, typically). It has seemed just OK to me. But, if you're into selling it, and making some sort of profit on it (now, or in the future) then, $75 is a very, very, good price these days. I would recommend you go get them, if you are so inclined to speculate.

Sorry, for throwing a dissenting opinion on you! :D

Cheers!

JOE

I, too, must be in the minority. I have had two bottles of the gold foil and enjoyed both tremendously. It is one of my favorites, along with the Pappy Van Winkle brands, all high priced bourbons. If I could get it at $75.00, I would either buy all they had, or as much as I could afford to spend on them. I am not saying it compares favorably to the the wax sealed, but it is as good as anything else out there now. Tell me where it is, and if I am close, I will buy them (to drink, not to sell).

Today, a hard to find bourbon in these parts, PVW15.

It just does not stay on the shelves. The store owner said that he got it in yesterday. Lucky me!

I, too, must be in the minority. I have had two bottles of the gold foil and enjoyed both tremendously. It is one of my favorites, along with the Pappy Van Winkle brands, all high priced bourbons. If I could get it at $75.00, I would either buy all they had, or as much as I could afford to spend on them. I am not saying it compares favorably to the the wax sealed, but it is as good as anything else out there now. Tell me where it is, and if I am close, I will buy them (to drink, not to sell).

It's pretty far from you - unfortunately up here in the northeasticon9.gif

Today, a hard to find bourbon in these parts, PVW15.

It just does not stay on the shelves. The store owner said that he got it in yesterday. Lucky me!

I'm drinking that tonight... getting close to the end of my bottle but have 4 bunkered - not nearly enough given it's my fav.... sure hope Julian is selecting more of these barrels for bottling!

PVW 23yr and PH 122.6 proof. That "B" version of the PVW 23 is excellent... worth the expence for a once is a long while, special bottle to drink from... mmm-baby

Just split 3 cases (18 bottles) of Weller Centennial 13 yr with a buddy as it is going bye-bye. My favorite everyday pour will probably be rebranded at three times the price.icon9.gif

I'm visiting some family out of state for the holiday weekend, so I did a bit of "treasure hunting" today at some of the local liquor stores. The booty:

1 Rip Van Winkle 10yr -107

1 Van Winkle 12yr - Lot B

2 A.R. Hirsch Reserve 16 yr (gold foil)

Definitely a good day (My wallet is not happy with me, but when have I ever listened to him!?)

Just split 3 cases (18 bottles) of Weller Centennial 13 yr with a buddy as it is going bye-bye. My favorite everyday pour will probably be rebranded at three times the price.icon9.gif

You convenced me.... Two cases added to the bunker. The price is great... Real must haves at a discount :)

I didn't purchase bourbon but rather Blenheim's Ginger Ale (the regular "mild" and Old #3 Hot). I cleaned the store out since Blenheim's is not found in my neck of the woods and I had to travel 3.5 hrs south to Roanoke VA to find it, but fortunately, I had a business trip in the area so not really out of my way. I tried the "mild" version while driving and I choked a couple of times on the "spice" of the ginger....WOW :bigeyes:. I can't wait to try the hot :hot:....maybe with a high proof rye!

You convenced me.... Two cases added to the bunker. The price is great... Real must haves at a discount :)

I got 2 in the bunker now myself.... I don't think you'll find better bourbon at that price. I wonder if I need more to feel "safe" haha

I got 2 in the bunker now myself.... I don't think you'll find better bourbon at that price. I wonder if I need more to feel "safe" haha

Settle down fellas !!!

Save some for the masses !!!

Well, did my first quasi-'hunting' expedition in some time though, frankly, I pretty much knew what I was going to find (and what I wasn't -- because I'd already gotten it, or led someone else to it). I visited the three liquor stores on my side of town, and came up with the following:

• 4 WTRR/101
  • a single Old Weller Antique 107
  • 12yo yellow-label Old Charter 750
  • a 375ml of old-label/transitional (ND whiskey/Beam-issued) Old Taylor 6yo

Also grabbed a handful of decent wines for the rack at discounted prices.

The store with the Charter 12 still has a couple of cases of 1.75L black-labeled ones, at c. $47. And, I think I know of a next-town store that has some WTRR/101 left (and a pair of WTAS) -- unless someone has cleaned it out recently.

I'm going to travel cross-town Monday to check out the other four local retailers. I suspect pickin's will be even slimmer.

Well I did a little hunting as well today. Nothing special,

(2) 1.75L EWBL 7 yr. AS

(1) I.W. Harper 15/80 BHC

(1) W.L. Weller Centennial Frankfort

and one bottle of Jose Cuervo anejo 1795

Tony

George T Stagg 131.8 proof Spring 2005 outside KY.

I was lucky enough to be changing cd's and I could hear MR. UPS knock.

Oh, I was taking out Kasey Chambers "The Captain" and putting in The Steeldrivers debut self titiled cd and I heard the knock.

I feel very fortunate to get this. I came to the party a little late and I thought I'd never see a pre-Fall 2005 and now I have 5 of the 8 Stagg releases.

I am sure this is going to be excellant, so far my favorites of what I have had is the 130.9 Spring 2005 KY only (don't own it, I tasted it at Tony's) and the 129.0 2004.

With the 140.6 2006 being my least favorite, but hey, it was Stagg.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!