What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Four Roses Yellow Label has got to be one of the smoothest bourbons in existence.

It is quite smooth and I find it subtle. You should check out the SB version for the full sha-bang. It's still incredibly smooth, and lacks a rye "bite" to it, but it's worth looking into. I always taste notes of yellow cake in the FR stuff. Anyone else get this?

Also, now it's page 26. Do I get a prize?

Really had no intention of hunting for anything lately but stopped into a liquor store in an unfamiliar area of LA county for a beer today and saw these two up on the highest shelf. The gold wax caught my eye and for less than what the current AH Hirsch is selling for I really didn't see how I could leave these there - I tried honest I did. This is one occasion I'd rather have found blue than gold, but will take what I can get...

Oh yeah and seeing the picture reminded me, if anyone is interested in those BT Experimentals I'd gladly swap them for something, I've decided they really don't interest me at all. Might ebay them to get my money back if nothing else.

post-1291-1448981369236_thumb.jpg

Well,

I came home with a bottle of the 1995 edition of EWSB. I've only tasted one EWSB (the 1994) and am really looking forward to giving this one a try tomorrow.

It's not what I purchased. It's what I didn't.

I happened upon a Parker's 127 proof and a Rittenhouse Rye 23. The Parker's was $79.99 while the Rittenhouse was $179.99.

I've heard good things about Parker but couldn't pull the trigger. If it were the 122.6, I may have. As for the Rittenhouse, I have no interest in Rye.

Mark

I happened upon a Parker's 127 proof The Parker's was $79.99

I've heard good things about Parker but couldn't pull the trigger. If it were the 122.6, I may have.

Mark

Mark, that Parker's is a good price.

If the proof is to high for you don't let that stop you.

It taste better at a lower proof anyway.

Take 2oz of the Parker's and 1/3 oz of water, that brings it down to 105 proof, it is very good.

Also they released 3 versions and the 122.6 is the best.

Mark, that Parker's is a good price.

If the proof is to high for you don't let that stop you.

It taste better at a lower proof anyway.

Take 2oz of the Parker's and 1/3 oz of water, that brings it down to 105 proof, it is very good.

Also they released 3 versions and the 122.6 is the best.

Oscar,

I like higher proof bourbon, myself. My reasoning - regarding the Parker's - for not buying was due to the fact it wasn't the first release (122.6) which is considered the best, as you mentioned.

Oscar, what is Parker's going for in MI? By the way, that's the first bottle I have seen in the state of CT.

Oscar,

Oscar, what is Parker's going for in MI? By the way, that's the first bottle I have seen in the state of CT.

same, 80 bucks

Oscar,

I like higher proof bourbon, myself. My reasoning - regarding the Parker's - for not buying was due to the fact it wasn't the first release (122.6) which is considered the best, as you mentioned.

I bought the 127 down south here for $58. The only reason it was so low was being right before Christmas and I asked for a discount. Surprisingly, the guy knocked off 10%. Otherwise, I would have passed since it is not the first issue and not something I would have spent $70+ to have.

Otherwise, I would have passed since it is not the first issue and not something I would have spent $70+ to have.

My sentiments exactly, Old.

The 127 is the second release and received 94 points the 122.6 rated 95 and the third release was 129 and received an 83 or something! I would grab the 127 if just to try it out! It;s good stuff.

Tony

The 127 is the second release and received 94 points the 122.6 rated 95 and the third release was 129 and received an 83 or something! I would grab the 127 if just to try it out! It;s good stuff.

Tony

I hear you, Tony, but $80 for a bourbon is a bit steep. There are so many other bourbons I could get that are either just as good or better, for much cheaper.

Well, I had to move some stuff for work and it was taking forever from home (estimated 85 minutes to move a mere 150MB between shares...) so I went to the office and did it. This of course gave me the excuse to go to an out of the way, but nice, liquor store that I hadn't been to in a while and I'm glad I did! Grabbed an '06 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon and a Baby Saz then headed to the registers, when I got there I noticed a lone Saz18 in the locked case so I got that and a PVW20 as well (What can I say, I'm a sucker for when it's in that red velvet bag...). 2 bottles they don't sell by me and 2 favorites, one of which I didn't expect to find another of. What to open, what to open...

edit: Who am I kidding, it's gonna be the Saz18 later! :)

Handy Rye. Two bottles.

I feel guilty now, given my rant about Beam black, premium bottlings, etc.

But I've opened one of them, and upon tasting, my guilt dissipates.:grin:

Handy Rye. Two bottles.

I feel guilty now, given my rant about Beam black, premium bottlings, etc.

But I've opened one of them, and upon tasting, my guilt dissipates.:grin:

There's no doubt about it, Tim. THat Thomas Handy makes all your troubles go away.....

Cheers

Scott

I picked up several new additions from Tony on Friday.

Rock Hill Farms

Weller Antique 107

AAA 10 Year dusty from mid 80's

ND era Old Taylor

and a Wiser's Deluxe 10YO That was bottled the year I was born. I'm young, BTW. Tony and Hogben couldn't stop laughing...

I picked up several new additions from Tony on Friday.

Rock Hill Farms

Weller Antique 107

AAA 10 Year dusty from mid 80's

ND era Old Taylor

and a Wiser's Deluxe 10YO That was bottled the year I was born. I'm young, BTW. Tony and Hogben couldn't stop laughing...

Doc, sounds like you all had a good time.

I am in San Antonio assisting my mother with recovery from surgery. Yesterday, I stopped at a store about two miles from her house and purchased a Weller Centenial BHC from L'ville and two VW Lot B's from L'burg. This store had lots of Pappy 20, ER17, a VSOF 12yo BHC L'ville, etc all at good prices. Today I stopped at a store known to occasionally come up with hard to find whiskies. Pappy 20 for $199....what a rip off. But American Spirit for $69.97 in store special. Go figure? I took the Spirit home at that price.

Randy

Still no WTAS to be seen out here in my neck of the woods. Anyone in Socal finding it?

Still no WTAS to be seen out here in my neck of the woods. Anyone in Socal finding it?

We got 6,000 bottle in Australia, in early December, and it is nearly gone. It is disappearing from shelves everywhere, and will not be returning.

I called a WT sales rep today to try and find some and he told me it's getting scarce. Also told me that Jimmy should be coming out this year with Eddie in tow. Can't wait!

Scott

Not a single bottle Marc, and honestly I have to say if it hasn't made it here yet it either isn't going to or it is coming via camel back.

Randy,

Sounds like your mother might live near my mother-in-law. I believe I've raided the same store. :grin: I bought some of what used to be on those shelves and left the rest, mostly because I couldn't afford to buy it all. Congrats on the finds. San Antonio seems pretty picked over, but for that store and the two bottles I lucked into at Thanksgiving at another store nearby.

BTW, I notice you identified the Lot B bottles as containing S-W. I haven't found a way to date Lot B bottles. What's the secret?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!