What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to a very kind and considerate SB.com friend, got 2 bottles of the scarce and much sought after VWFRR today. Cheers!!!

Took the other day off and went huntin. Never seen this label on the ORVW.The Benchmark is a NO bottling. Have not opened it yet. any opinions? Thanks, Randy.

Never seen that ORVW either. I assume it is the back label (with the UPC)? Perhaps a newer one since it mentions the year 1995. A pic of the front label would be interesting to see if possible. Is it the 10/90 or a new bottle/label for the 12/Lot B?

there is no other label except the "aged 10 years" on the base of the neck and the neck label. It came in a red velvet bag. I picked up two just because I have'nt seen them. Randy.

That ORVW looks to be one of the personalizable bottles. Should be something like 90.4 or 90.6 proof IIRC I believe Julian will still make up a front label for you it you contact him through his website.

there is no other label except the "aged 10 years" on the base of the neck and the neck label. It came in a red velvet bag. I picked up two just because I have'nt seen them. Randy.

Very interesting. I agree with your line of thought.....best to grab two (at least). Looks good and hope you enjoy them.

yes, 90.4 proof. they have a few more, maybe I ought to pick them up too. Randy.

Sure. Why not? Get some labels made up for your friends and give them as gifts. Or have them all done with your name and call it your house pour.:grin:

It was a red letter day!

It's rare, but today I passed a liquor store in my area that I'd never seen before. Let's just say, it was worth the turnaround.

I picked up four ORVW 10/107 for a steal, at $25.49 each. Also, I found a Rock Hill Farms and a Vintage 17. The Vintage was $44.99 (not sure if that's high or low) and the Rock Hill farms was expensive at the same price.

There was some Noah's Mills and Corner Creek but I wasn't sure if they were good or not since I haven't heard anything about them here. I will definitely do my research, though.

I almost forgot. My PVW 15's were awaiting me on my doorstep when I arrived home.

Mark

Went looking for more Willett Family Pot Still Reserve for a fellow SBer but found the local shelves bare.

I did find several bottles of Weller Centennial. It's my all-time favorite Weller expression and is increasingly hard to find.

That ORVW looks to be one of the personalizable bottles. Should be something like 90.4 or 90.6 proof IIRC I believe Julian will still make up a front label for you it you contact him through his website.

Yep, Probably.

This was talked about in this thread .

Roger

Picked up 6 bottles of Willett today. Don't need that many but was thinking of all you out there that can't get it right now. they were 34.95 apiece. Will trade out. I'm not stingy. Also got a Dowling Deluxe 100 BIB. Never saw one before so I got it.

Randy

Two Americans and one SM...Very much looking forward to these..

*New* Bunnahabhain 1997-9 Year Peated Cask Strength Signatory ......

Weller 12 Year .....................................................

McCarthey Single Malt Whiskey

It was a hunting day and I do not have the camera tonight so no pic's yet but soon!

(2) BHC Dickle 10yr.

(5) WT Rye Green Label Red lettering

(1) OGD 114

(11) VERY ODD...Tin flasks tax stamp screw top 200ml 86.8 proof Wild Turkey

When you open the flask at the middle there is a 200 ml glass bottle inside.

Opened one tonight and it is really like candy 86.8 is a very drinkable proof for the wild turkey! very fruity.

Does anyone know if they ever had 86.8 proof Turkey in the U.S. market???

Tony

Opened one tonight and it is really like candy 86.8 is a very drinkable proof for the wild turkey! very fruity.

Does anyone know if they ever had 86.8 proof Turkey in the U.S. market???

Tony

Yes. See this http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5354 thread, in the picture left most bottle I believe.

Finally, I purchased a bottle of EC 12. Hopefully, this is a hit instead of a miss.

While checking out, I asked about a mini of Bookers. Sure enough, they had it.

Currently, I have four bourbons in my possession that I have yet to try. Rock Hill Farms, Four Roses Single Barrel, EC 12 and a mini of Bookers.

they've put the OGD BIB on sale here in Knoxville, two bucks off so I bought one....... I guess they're discontinuing it at the store.... but maybe from this board, more people are buying it so they might keep it!

Today, I am proud to say, I acquired a bottle of PVW 20 through a game of chance and some trading. Yes. Very vague.

yes, 90.4 proof. they have a few more, maybe I ought to pick them up too. Randy.

Speaking of Julian's singular 90.4 proof special bottling (and somewhere else, someone asked why choose 86.8), I just stumbled over a fun post he made several years back, talking about the VW rationale for using 86.8 proof and other numbers that stick out.

My favorite part is about Pappy not wanting to ship water around the country.

Roger

I am averting a nervous breakdown so going into my OCD and in a buying mood..... First I stopped at the really local store, looking for OldFitz. But they didn't have it. Luckily they had Bulleit and I never tried it so I bought a bottle of Bulleit.

Then I went to McScrooges which is like a warehouse, and they have a great selection, the guy working there Brent is very knowledgeable. They have a specialty bottling of Four Roses for that liquor store. I didn't buy it yet, but I did buy the

Four Roses Yellow label

Old Fitz 1849

Old Charter 12 (very red, and it came in a deep purple, almost black felt sack)

so I got quite an addition to my collection. Now am looking for a good cabinet to store them!

So far I tried the Old Fitz 1849 and liked it. I think its like Wellers. The Four Roses yellow label I am drinking now, and it is so easy to drink, I wonder where the taste is! It has no bite whatsoever. Even though Brent likes it, I think its a bit light on roughness. I want more bite. Didn't think I would ever say that. Maybe Fighting Cock will be my next buy..... Maybe my tongue got tamed by the Old Fitz? Four Roses Yellow Label has got to be one of the smoothest bourbons in existence. I think the Fitz has way more character. If you want to give someone a tame bourbon, the four Roses Yellow Label is very very mild/mellow. The Old Fitz is totally excellent, and a steal ... in Knoxville, where liquor is Dear (read very expensive) its 15.99 I think its a good deal. Its the same price as the Old Fitz BIB.

I am thinking its time to kick down to the young stuff OR... 8YO TW Samuels so I can save money and experience the bite.... but I have yet to try the Old Charter Classic 90 12YO (but will in a minute) and yet to try the Bulleit......

What an adventure! this and my radio collection are keeping me sane....

As I am editing this ... i am tasting the Old Charter 'The Classic 90' 12YO. This stuff is really really really fine.... just one sip, thats all it took yeah! super premium.....

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!