What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Spring 2008

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night's purchase was Old Ezra 7 yr 101, a dusty Ancient Ancient Age 10 star, and a liter or Henry McKenna. I paid less than $15 for each of them.

Last night I did a little hunting and found a BTAC ER from 2003! The lettering on the year is a bit hard to read, so it's either '03 or '05. My buddy who works in a bank swears it's an '03. But I'll post a pic for ya'll to judge. Either way, '05 or '03, it was still only 59 bucks!

The find of the night was a bottle of Pyrat rum cask 1623 for $70 instead of the $250 that it is everywhere else!!!! yeah-yeah

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they have only one?

Nice! Hard to imagine this has just been sitting there. Although it was on the shelf 2nd to the bottom. Next time I'm down in Chula Vista I may have to do some more hunting.

Oh, and if anybody is looking for Baby Saz, it's all over Coronado.

Picked up another WLW Special Reserve for the bunker for $13 given all the talk of possible shortages etc... I like this for travel or for anywhere I might want to leave the bottle.

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow sb'er, I extended my EWSB collection to 1988, an Old Charter 12yr 90pf, and a little 200ml of J.W. Dant BIB with a tax stamp.

Thanks Dan!

Thanks to an SB member for passing it along, my Father-in-law in AZ was able to pick my up a Weller Centennial.

He is a snow bird who lives in AZ from Oct through May. I think after walking into a Bevmo for the first time he will add that to his list of where to take visitors, he was really impressed. We don't have stores like that in WA., and he had never seen one in his short time in AZ.

:toast:

A trip to my favorite liquor store, Daveco, yielded the following:

ER17 '06

EC12

OC12 (The Classic 90)

PVW15

They just received the "Hirsch Selection" 20yo, but at almost twice the price of Pappy 15 I don't see myself being tempted any time soon.

Many thanks to Spun_Cookie, who through his excellent math skills convinced me that it would be much cheaper to buy a bottle of PVW23

and split the cost with two friends, than to buy a shot at the place down the street. Per Spun's suggestion, I got the "B" version, Bottle # B4462.

It was $199 for the bottle at Party Mart on Brownsboro Rd. Each of us got 250ml of PVW23 for a little over $66 apiece...that's less than $13.50 per 1.5oz pour, rather than $36 a pour at MM Tavern or $47 at The Brown.

My boss, Don, one of those bourbon fans, insisted that I decant their portions in his office rather than the kitchen, so that Pappy smell would linger there! (In fact, Don spent the rest of the day breathing deeply through his nose like the folks in those Febreze commercials do)

-Joe

Many thanks to Spun_Cookie, who through his excellent math skills convinced me that it would be much cheaper to buy a bottle of PVW23

and split the cost with two friends, than to buy a shot at the place down the street. Per Spun's suggestion, I got the "B" version, Bottle # B4462.

It was $199 for the bottle at Party Mart on Brownsboro Rd. Each of us got 250ml of PVW23 for a little over $66 apiece...that's less than $13.50 per 1.5oz pour, rather than $36 a pour at MM Tavern or $47 at The Brown.

My boss, Don, one of those bourbon fans, insisted that I decant their portions in his office rather than the kitchen, so that Pappy smell would linger there! (In fact, Don spent the rest of the day breathing deeply through his nose like the folks in those Febreze commercials do)

-Joe

Good show sir.... let me know how much your enjoy it :bis: (yes, that is presumptuous :grin: )

In the process of looking for ORVW 10/107 (doesn't seem to be any in Louisville right now, but Toddy's in Bardstown has it) I found VOB 100 BIB...at Our Place Liquors on Poplar Level Rd. Previously, the only VOB I had seen was the 86, so when I saw the 100 I picked one up.

-Joe

In the process of looking for ORVW 10/107 (doesn't seem to be any in Louisville right now, but Toddy's in Bardstown has it) I found VOB 100 BIB...at Our Place Liquors on Poplar Level Rd. Previously, the only VOB I had seen was the 86, so when I saw the 100 I picked one up.

-Joe

Joe,

The VOB BIB is a really great pour, and for the price, it's a terrific value. Let us know your thoughts when you try it.

I'm on travel in La Jolla, CA and hit up a premium grocery store w/a nice selection of bourbons.

I haven't been able to find any of the GTS in the Seattle area (home) but they had 3 2008's on the shelf at $59.99. I snagged two and left one for the next guy. I also picked up a Willet Single Barrel Estate Reserve for $49.99.

I also bought some bubble wrap for the plane ride home since I cannot carry these home. Wish me luck in getting them back safely!

I promised myself I wouldn't buy more Bourbon until I finished a few bottles that I had opened...... DOH!

Todays damage;

1 GTS 137

1 ER 17

2 PVW 13 rye

2 SAZ 18

Just gotta sneak em by the GF:bigeyes:

I promised myself I wouldn't buy more Bourbon until I finished a few bottles that I had opened...... DOH!

Todays damage;

1 GTS 137

Just gotta sneak em by the GF:bigeyes:

Are you kidding me?!?! Am I reading that right, you found a 137.6 GTS?!? If so, good for you!!

Did they have more than one?... Yeah right, I know.

I'm on travel in La Jolla, CA and hit up a premium grocery store w/a nice selection of bourbons.

I haven't been able to find any of the GTS in the Seattle area (home) but they had 3 2008's on the shelf at $59.99. I snagged two and left one for the next guy. I also picked up a Willet Single Barrel Estate Reserve for $49.99.

I also bought some bubble wrap for the plane ride home since I cannot carry these home. Wish me luck in getting them back safely!

Good luck, I guess worst case would be a terrific smelling suitcase. :bigeyes:

I really hope you made it.

I live in San Diego...which store are you talking about? The Bevmo? Not exactly a grocery store.... I have enough GTS '08 but if you found a joint I'm not familiar with....

I'm on vacation in Florida. While out and about being a tourist, we stopped by a couple of liquor stores. Picked up a bottle of ORVW 10 90 proof at one place, and a bottle of WRFG at the other. Hope I can get them home without any problems. You know how those airline baggage handlers can be. I almost can't wait. I finally get to try a Van Winkle product. :grin: Joe

I live in San Diego...which store are you talking about? The Bevmo? Not exactly a grocery store.... I have enough GTS '08 but if you found a joint I'm not familiar with....

Jonathan's on Fay in downtown. I am travelling this afternoon so my goods are still in tact and I will tell you all tomorrow if I/they made it! I went bubble wrap crazy...

They also have ORV 10/107, some VanWinkle 12 lot b, Weller Centennial, and an old Potrero. Weller Antique and Blanton's are present as well

I tried to buy a bottle of WT101 today, but the small independant grocery store down the road from me only carries JB White Label.

First time I realized this.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!