So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got this 50 count brown paper wrapped package of corojo wrapper stogies at JR a few weeks back. I was suspect of the quality but jumped at the price. They are more pyramid than torpedo in shape and have smoked pretty damned good for the money ($69 for 50). I have smoked about 10 and have had 2 that smoked a bit hard but the other 8 were very nice producing some nice nut, spice and herb flavors.

Enjoyed a very nice La Gloria Cubana last evening from the DR. La Gloria Cubana has always been one of my go to cigars, especially the natural wavell which I used to by when Ernesto just had a small shop in Miami in the 80's. Still priced very well for the quality you get.

The cigar I tried is a recent or soon to be released size called the Oblisk from their new "N" collection. Great size and shape, packed with flavor and perfect construction. Highly recommended.

post-1354-14489816862719_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489816863126_thumb.jpg

Hidden

The La Gloria Cubana Obelisk was a small cigar so I decided to have another as I waited for my beef clod to come off the smoker. I stayed with LGC but ventured to one a bit larger and made by a different "company". This was a LGC Deliciosos from a jar that was released late last year. Also an excellent smoke with perfect construction but still a bit young. For the short term the Oblelisk is the ticket.. in 5-7 years I think the Deliciosos will clearly be the cigar of choice......

post-1354-14489816863539_thumb.jpg

post-1354-1448981686395_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489816864356_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489816887699_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489816888144_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489816888577_thumb.jpg

Friday night was enjoyed with a La Gloria Cubana Corona Gorda. I smoke this cigar from time to time and always find it to be a good smoke, but the one I had on Friday was one of the best La Glorias I can remember.

Last night was a maduro Hoyo Excalibur No. 3 that was good, but suffered by comparison to the La Gloria Friday.

Hoyo Habano Corona. First draw on this puppy showed a good bit of spice, earthy wood in the background. We'll see how this one transitions.

Enjoyed one of my all times favorites... LGC Wavell natural last evening from about 2005. All those Havana only smokers miss out on some great cigars when they pass by a cigar like the Wavell....

I am not a Havana only smoker. Actually I am a Havana only briefly sometimes smoker. I think Cubans are highly overrated ( and over priced)and prefer Houndurans and Nicaraguans myself. To each his own.

Joe

I spent a few months of 2009 in Germany, Denmark and Poland doing academic research. I treated myself to Cuban cigars almost everyday. Some were fantastic, most were run of the mill, a few were just plain crap. That more or less can be said of most cigars in American tobacconists today. With a few exceptions I think the mystique of Habanos does not jive with the reality. The simple truth of the matter is that exiled Cubans did wonders to the tobacco growing areas of the Domincan Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua in the last 50 years. They have, in effect, pulled up these areas in regards to the quality of tobacco production and skills of the rollers. At prices of 20 Euro or more per stick for some of the pricier Habanos I think that a lot of stick smokers like myself will get over the mystique real fricking quickly. As everyday smokers there are plenty of alternatives to Habanos at American tobacconists TODAY. As celebration smokes (I admit I lit a Cuban Romeo y Julieta limitada minutes after I defended my thesis on 31 July 2010) there are many alternatives that can be easily found; the Padron anniversarios come to mind here.

Another great evening..... enjoyed the last pour of a dusty Old Crow pint bottle left behind by a friend. Paired the OC with a Trinidad Reyes a favorite tres petit of mine.

Another nice evening..... enjoying a 2005 Upmann Petit Corona.. a bit tight on the draw but classic Upmann.

Enjoying a cigar my son gifted me; CAO Criollo. The wrapper was interesting as it had that barnyard/dung/earthy smell that I usually pick up in a good cuban. It's got some decent flavor, nothing earth shattering but good nonetheless. Pairing with a Baby Saz.

Enjoying a cigar my son gifted me; CAO Criollo. The wrapper was interesting as it had that barnyard/dung/earthy smell that I usually pick up in a good cuban. It's got some decent flavor, nothing earth shattering but good nonetheless. Pairing with a Baby Saz.

Ah yes, that Barnyard Dung characteristic. Highly sought after in a great cigar. :rolleyes:

Joe :usflag:

Enjoying an early afternoon cigar... one of the original LFD Chisel Maddie from th 10 box.... very nice smoke..

Such a beautiful day I had to enjoy another cigar... this one is a 2004 Monte #2. Going great with a few fingers of WTRR 101.... picking up on Greg's lead last evening. How could they let this great bourbon go by the wayside???

Such a beautiful day I had to enjoy another cigar... this one is a 2004 Monte #2. Going great with a few fingers of WTRR 101.... picking up on Greg's lead last evening. How could they let this great bourbon go by the wayside???

Received my Cohiba Red Dot Robusto today so of course I made a beeline to the front porch to light up and give it a twirl. Instead of bourbon, I've paired up a Ommegang abbey ale.

Enjoying an Upmann Lonsdale 1998 with a few pours of 1976 JD as well as a GD #8..... just to switch it up a bit....

Enjoying an Upmann Lonsdale 1998 with a few pours of 1976 JD as well as a GD #8..... just to switch it up a bit....

You dog! '98 Lonsdale.....beautiful.

Enjoying another day of great weather with a Padron 1964 Anniv. Natural Corona from around 2005. A great cigar that can hold it's own with any cigar made....

Smoked an Aurturo Fuente Anejo # 77 with the last of a bottle of Ezra B 15 last night. It was great, but the Anejos give me a hell of a buzz.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!