What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter '08/'09

shoshani
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

did it have a 'real' cork?

at 90 proof and at around $10 (here in PA at least), it's a good value. nothing outstanding, but i'd still rather have 80 proof Benchmark at 9.99

It did have a real cork, and I too would prefer benchmark, but I am still in my "try out everything" phase.

same here same here....i HATE buying a bottling twice...heck, even when i like it! i want to know the field! but i have been returning to bottlings with mixed results. maybe third time IS the charm, no Harm!

On a quick weekend road trip through Florida, Georgia and Alabama, I made a few stops along the way to pick up a few things I have not yet seen in Florida:

Fighting Cock

Old Weller Antique (Finally!)

Ancient Ancient Age

I did win a 1/10 bottle of Kentucky Tavern BIB bottled 1968 on a auction yesterday. I did bid on a bunch of big bottles as well, but I didn't get any luck on them.

Leif

Late last evening picked up the last bottle of a Lot B on a shelf of a store in a 'transitioning' area of town. Didn't really need it, but for $39 thought it best not to pass it up since I hear most are now approaching the $50+ level. It never hurts to add another quality bottle to the home base reserves.

A picture's worth a thousand words !!!!:grin:

DSCN0008.jpg

OK, not a thousand words...just ten. YUM,YUM,YUM,YUM,YUM,YUM,YUM,YUM,YUM,YUM!!!!!

Well done, Bird.

Looking good Scott!

I got a similar package today.

Three 750ml Eagle Rare 101's and a Wild Turkey Rare Breed Batch No W-T-01-91.

gotta love those Texas SB.com guys!!!

I am seriously drooling over that WT 12YO. I wish they'd bring it back to the domestic market.

Meantime, I picked up my first-ever bottle of Elmer T. Lee. It's growing on me. Thick and oily, which I love; but no particular flavor note that I can pin down, which I find odd. Most bourbons have a little toffee or vanilla or caramel; nothing stands out in particular to me. But still it is very pleasant overall.

I'm beginning to believe that BT uses a house yeast that contributes a mustiness to their whiskey. I found Buffalo Trace seriously objectionable because of this; Elmer does have it, but it's not so bad. Maybe it's the higher rye mashbill that makes it less of a pain. Rock Hill Farms has just a touch of this, but only barely noticeable.

I'm beginning to believe that BT uses a house yeast that contributes a mustiness to their whiskey. I found Buffalo Trace seriously objectionable because of this; Elmer does have it, but it's not so bad. Maybe it's the higher rye mashbill that makes it less of a pain. Rock Hill Farms has just a touch of this, but only barely noticeable.

I strongly second your opinion on BT. Only had 2 bottles myself and never been able to finish the 2d one due to the strong musty tinge. I keep it around for company, egg nog, and the wife......not necessarily in that order. Never noticed it in ETL though, but, did note a touch of it in RHF. Got to be something in that particular mashbill. Glad someone else noticed it. For a long time, thought it was just me.

I got a 1L of AAA 10yr & a 750 of OF Signature in the mail today from a trade. Yesterday I received a bottle of Oscar & Tony's 4R1B.....I feel fortunate and at peace.

:)

I got the Hirsch 25 and 28. In hindsight I probably should have let them go...

Sounds like buyers remorse.

I have had dreams of buyers remorse, but not on my bourbon purchases.

It was stickershock without a doubt

How do they taste ... Woud love to have notes on those two.

Have you had the AH Hirsch bourbons?

Havent cracked them yet. They are in a dark closet right now. Yes, I am a fan of the AH Hirschs, but these arent the same juice. I have tried the AH Hirsch 16 gold foil and AH Hirsch 20. I do have the black, blue, and gold wax for a AH Hirsch 16 tasting vertical. Got a few buddies I am going to do that with eventually.

I found that I was running low on WLWSR so I picked a couple up. Its not real easy to find sometimes and I had to look several places to find it. Maybe I should have bought more for stock!

I received two bottles of Centennial today thanks to a fellow SB member. :cool: Joe

I received two bottles of Centennial today thanks to a fellow SB member. :cool: Joe
Jealous, Joe.....very jealous...:grin:

Anyone else with some Centennial to spare? 8)

I picked up some VOB BIB today. Also Rittenhouse BIB, which is technically off-topic :D

Picked up Makers Mark Black and WT Stampede 55 today.

Funny, I really didnt want the Stampede, but it was just so CHEAP!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!