What Bourbon did you purchase today? - Spring 2011

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hopped in the car with BourbonNoog and drove to the next town over. I got into the KBD - got a Johnny Drum, Rowan's Creek, and Old Bardstown (the high proof job). Also got a Weller 12, a Pikesville Rye and a Bulleit Rye. Good day - bad weather.

Flint, what town had the WL12 up there? I know Chattanooga had not had any around, just seeing how far you two went since I talk to you two often.

Charter 10 yr 43%, it's been awhile.

I scored one of those from the early 80s in a square bottle with a diamond shaped pattern on the outside. The nose is just fantastic, but it drinks just so-so.

Flint, what town had the WL12 up there? I know Chattanooga had not had any around, just seeing how far you two went since I talk to you two often.

It's all over Knoxville. Every other store had it in quantity.

Good to know, last time I visited stores in Knoxville didn't find much. That was awhile back though.

Not today, but yesterday: purchased/traded for 1-1/2 bottles (the storeowner got the other half) of the Colonel E.H. Taylor "Old Fashioned Sour Mash", which will make an appearance on a Bardstown table soon enough.

Mostly, it reminded me of the standard bottlings of the '50s through '70s (e.g., pre-metric era) in flavor. It is good and, as a one-off, historic in its 'natural souring' provenance. It shall not pass this way again (similar to the WR sweet mash from a couple of years ago) and, in that, I'm glad I've tasted it.

Thanks for that, Tim.

I must have missed this earlier, in what way was the sour mashing accomplished for this bourbon, how is it different than the current methods of adding backset to the cooker?

Gary

Thanks for that, Tim.

I must have missed this earlier, in what way was the sour mashing accomplished for this bourbon, how is it different than the current methods of adding backset to the cooker?

Gary

Gary, Chuck has some details on the process in this post:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=235422&postcount=16

Okay thanks Scott. It looks like a partial adaptation of the small tub method of mashing. As Chuck said, in the 1800's heated mash was prepared in a series of small barrels (tubs), and the mash was allowed to rest overnight and longer I believe until it was ready for fermentation.

Gary

Located some Weller 12 which may also be the first drink of the day, just not quite yet.

Sam Houston @$31 decided I liked it enough.

In this small and away place I noticed they had nips of Blanton's, never seen a nip of this before. Cute mini bottle as well. Might have to go back and also grab the nips of Bookers,Bakers, Basil Hyden, WT101 and a few more.

Anyone ever see a Blanton's 50ml before?

Sam Houston @$31 decided I liked it enough.

In this small and away place I noticed they had nips of Blanton's, never seen a nip of this before. Cute mini bottle as well. Might have to go back and also grab the nips of Bookers,Bakers, Basil Hyden, WT101 and a few more.

Anyone ever see a Blanton's 50ml before?

I've seen lots of different minis in KY, but not in Ahia. They come in handy for new stuff that you want to try without committing to a longer term deal. The first Bookers I bought was a 50ml.

I've seen lots of different minis in KY, but not in Ahia. They come in handy for new stuff that you want to try without committing to a longer term deal. The first Bookers I bought was a 50ml.

might just pick a few up, to keep on display.. or for when I want to feel like a Giant.

might just pick a few up, to keep on display.. or for when I want to feel like a Giant.

I saw Four Roses single barrel mini's at the distillery gift shop last fall. They had not made it to any stores yet, but I'm hoping to snag a few this spring. They are a really neat looking little bottle.

Went back and got the last bottle of Sam Houston. They were both quite dusty and the one I opened is damn tasty.

Also snagged a 99 EWSB and a cute little 50ml bottle of Blanton's

all with the wife in tow.. always better then she approves.

Just a bottle of VOB BIB. Only one store in the state has it, and for once I was in the vicinity. So far, so good!

Kevin have you had an opportunity to taste the 10 yr Houston side by side with a 10 yr McKenna?

Kevin have you had an opportunity to taste the 10 yr Houston side by side with a 10 yr McKenna?

I can get the McKenna but haven't seen Sam around here in awhile, anyway, I'd like to compare the two.

I can get the McKenna but haven't seen Sam around here in awhile, anyway, I'd like to compare the two.

If I could help you out just let me know.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!