What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Winter 2011/2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

High West Barreled Manhattan, PHC 27yr and a PHC Golden Anniversary.

Nice start to the new year if i may say so.

B

I had the barreled manhattan at a tasting last month. it was delicious. enjoy.

I had the barreled manhattan at a tasting last month. it was delicious. enjoy.

I think I may be looking forward to that more than the other two. Guy at the store was gushing about it.

B

Went browsing with yountvillewjs today...came home with an OWA for the bunker. Saw some other interesting stuff but didn't pull the trigger. Was tempted on some slightly dusty bottles of Old Fitz 1849 that looked to be bottled in 2006 for $15.

Went hunting tonight and scored a bottle of VWFRR for $49 and an ORVW10/107 for $35. I also saw some '80s Old Foresters on the shelf but left them.

Also I picked up a Binny's 4RSB OESO last night and I'm really liking it.

Was tempted on some slightly dusty bottles of Old Fitz 1849 that looked to be bottled in 2006 for $15.

They aren't very good if it's current production stuff...even at that price. YMMV though.

They aren't very good if it's current production stuff...even at that price. YMMV though.

I knew the next place we were going had OWA for $5 more, and I KNOW I like it, so I held out. Also bought some Apple Pie flavored Moonshine, going to get into that this weekend. :lol:

I knew the next place we were going had OWA for $5 more, and I KNOW I like it, so I held out. Also bought some Apple Pie flavored Moonshine, going to get into that this weekend. :lol:

Is that the Ole Smoky brand? My wife is crazy for that stuff.

Is that the Ole Smoky brand? My wife is crazy for that stuff.

I think it's a different brand...fairly new to the market as I recall. I might get curious and unscrew it tonight.

I think it's a different brand...fairly new to the market as I recall. I might get curious and unscrew it tonight.

Please don't. I'll have to try it Saturday night and I really don't want to.

I don't like paying $79 for 10-year old bourbon, but my first bottle of PHC cognac went so fast (and they're seemingly disappearing off of shelves quicker than the wheater did) that I couldn't help but pick up another one today. I really didn't think I'd like it nearly as much as I did, but the more time I spend without it, the more I crave it...

Also picked up an ER17... I know this bourbon gets very little love in these parts, but I find it to be a smooth, spicy, comforting pour the likes of which I've not found elsewhere. I wish it was in the $60-$65 range, but I returned some birthday gifts for cash, and sipping it now I don't feel too bad about the $75 I put up for it.

Just picked up my first OWA, continuing on in my $15-20 price-range testing.

I really like the OWA. It's so smooth and a great price.

Today I picked up a few Rittenhouse BIB. They're hard to find around here.

Bill

I also saw some '80s Old Foresters on the shelf but left them.

If it's BIB, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go immediately back to the store and buy at least one.

If it's DSP-414, buy them all.

I have some OFBIB from the 70's that is in the top 5 whiskeys I have ever had.

Got some EWSB2k

Aaron, I also quite like the ER17, and I echo all praise on the OWA, for $20, that stuff is killer!

Just found a bottle of PHC cognac finished.

I have the Cask Strength and the Wheat PHC already.

I tried all 3 tonight.

IMHO. The Wheat is #1 followed by the cask and closely by the Cognac.

I guess I like the higher proofs, since the Cognac is at 100.

Three of these via the magic of ebay:

of-barrel-reserve-96.jpg

I'm thinking that they are probably more valuable as a rarity/trade bait than as an excellent drinker (although I'd love to hear from anyone who tried one) so they will probably hit the bunker for long-term storage.

... Was tempted on some slightly dusty bottles of Old Fitz 1849 that looked to be bottled in 2006 for $15.

If it still has the 8 year age statement on the label I would give it a buy recommend at $15. Some folks diss the '92 through '99, no longer DSP-16, now Bernheim-DSP 1 produced wheaters. There was the new distillery technology and limitations put forth by United Distillers but, Ed Foote, was still the master distiller. My own tasting experience has been good with the Old Fitz BIB's, 1849 and now some Willett's from that production. And in comparison to the wheaters now being produced by HH there, other than the superb PHC, Ed Foote did a damn good job in spite of what he had to deal with.

If it still has the 8 year age statement on the label I would give it a buy recommend at $15. Some folks diss the '92 through '99, no longer DSP-16, now Bernheim-DSP 1 produced wheaters. There was the new distillery technology and limitations put forth by United Distillers but, Ed Foote, was still the master distiller. My own tasting experience has been good with the Old Fitz BIB's, 1849 and now some Willett's from that production. And in comparison to the wheaters now being produced by HH there, other than the superb PHC, Ed Foote did a damn good job in spite of what he had to deal with.

I agree, Thad. I've found one with the 8 year age statement and find it to be very good. I assumed that in 2006 this bottle had become NAS...maybe I'm wrong though.

Picked up the last handle of ER101 in the area. Was on the fence about it, but finally caved in. :lol:

In addition to picking up my first Bulleit Rye and another Dickel 12, I bought my first OWA based on all the love it's been getting around here lately. I just had a small sip of the OWA last night, but WOW! Thank you for the recommendation. I can't wait to tear into it tonight.

I recently saw someone talk about how much better the recent batch is compared to years past. Anyone else agree?

-Steve

Picked up a couple bottles of Rittenhouse Rye BIB. Makes the best Manhattans I've ever had. It is on my must buy list if found under $20. It was $17.30 in the northern WV panhandle

On Tuesday I found and bought a WL Weller 19 1982/2001

WOw, congrats on that lucky find!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.