What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Winter 2011/2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 x Lot B

1 x WLW

1 x ER 17

1 x Saz 18

I found them at my local liquor store on the clearance rack. Not sure how it got there. They never have the stuff on the shelf. I was there to pick up some Bulleit, and it was sitting next to the register. I don't know how to tell what year the Lot B is, but the ER 17 and Saz 18 is this year. The WLW is 134.5 proof so I'm guessing it is 2009.

I put the Bulleit back.:grin:

nice find. My post would be something like this:

Went looking for

3 x Lot B

1 x WLW

1 x ER 17

1 x Saz 18

Ended up with Bulleit! I have to ask just because you said it was on clearance shelf, what was ballpark price for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went looking for

3 x Lot B

1 x WLW

1 x ER 17

1 x Saz 18

Ended up with Bulleit! I have to ask just because you said it was on clearance shelf, what was ballpark price for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was not a smoking deal by any stretch. But I avoided a gross BTAC and VW gouge. Lot B was $56 WLW was $70 ER 17m was $50 Saz 18 was $70

My last bottle of WLW was $100, so I'm pleased with the find. Wish this stuff was priced like it was 3 years ago, but that's life.

Edit: I think it was on the clearance shelf because these folks didn't know what to do with it.

Went looking for

3 x Lot B

1 x WLW

1 x ER 17

1 x Saz 18

Ended up with Bulleit!

That's hysterical! That's like a tone poem reflecting the collective experience of 99% of bourbon lovers.

WLW is still going for $70 at one store in the neighborhood, but every other store has it and the others for $120 or more. These are horrible people, these DC retailers. They're all internet-savvy, like the entire overeducated NW DC population, and their prices are up-to-the-minute Ebay level. Except my local store, God bless those guys.

Went to NY this weekend, picked up two phone orders, and stopped by another liquor store before we left.

VWFRR x 2

ORVW 10 107

Parker's Heritage Cognac finished - Had this at a bar recently and loved it.

Weller 12 x 3 - This is becoming my house bourbon for guests

Breukelen Whiskey - Made in NY, very young, no idea what to expect.

Old Williamsburg 101

Old Charter 101 - Heard its crap but I've never seen it in MA.

That's the deal of the year, my friend.

Really? My noob is showing.

Guess it will move up in my open next list.

Really? My noob is showing.

Guess it will move up in my open next list.

The Saz 18 allocation is only a couple thousand bottles for the entire world. It's like half of the allocation of the next lowest in the BTAC.

In Montgomery County, MD, the stores have it listed at $60, but it never even gets to the shelves. That's probably the cheapest in the country. Anyone who still has it on the shelves probably has it marked up to something eye-popping.

Purchased (2) Weller Twelve, (1) Weller Antique, (1) Angels Envy, (1) Eagle Rare. Glad to see the Angel's Envy on sale for $38. I am hearing this has quit moving and may see the $30 range in the very near future.

Received a bottle of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve as a gift from the wife, who knows next-to-nothing about bourbon. She wanted to give me something I hadn't tried and she got that right.

I know 1792 is the recipient of some mixed reviews around here, but I'm looking forward to cracking it open and giving it a try. Probably sometime this week...

What is Lot B going for you in your area?

There a couple bottles around here, but for $79. :frown:

I paid $55 a bottle. In Illinois I found them for $41. I need to go back and clean those guys out! But that is a four hour drive there and back, so I figured I'd pay the premium for here.

And $79, that's nuts. There is a chain of stores here that did the same thing. I am done shopping there. Before I was the wiser I also paid $100 for a WLW and a GTS. Granted those are phenomenal but I'm still not happy about it. At least I am more informed now.

Received a bottle of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve as a gift from the wife, who knows next-to-nothing about bourbon. She wanted to give me something I hadn't tried and she got that right.

I know 1792 is the recipient of some mixed reviews around here, but I'm looking forward to cracking it open and giving it a try. Probably sometime this week...

I got a bottle of this for my birthday from my parents (and a Jefferson 17 for Xmas, good job Mom!!) and I really like it. Good pour for not a lot of money. I was very surprised to find some banana in there on the palette.

Picked up the Small Batch Collection box at Costco with Booker's and Basil Hayden. The girlfriend loves Booker's and I wanted to try BH, so I figure I got BH for about $20. Even if I don't like it, I'll just vat it with OGD114 or BIB.

Picked up the Small Batch Collection box at Costco with Booker's and Basil Hayden. The girlfriend loves Booker's and I wanted to try BH, so I figure I got BH for about $20. Even if I don't like it, I'll just vat it with OGD114 or BIB.

I drink a 1:1 vatting of OGD114 and BH and it's really tasty...expensive but it makes the BH drinkable!

Hancock's is a good bourbon, but it's not a wheater. It's from BT's #2 mash bill (higher rye - also Ancient Age, Virginia Gentleman, Elmer T. Lee, Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms). $30 is a good price, though.

Thanks for the gouge. I was under the impression ETL was a wheater as well. I'm not a fan of rye, but we'll bring it to a friend's for the next tasting. That will keep them out of my Lot B ;)

Found another Saz 18 today! Pretty happy about that. I figured they were all gone. Only $70 too.

I gotta stop going to random liquor stores when I get bored, though.

I drink a 1:1 vatting of OGD114 and BH and it's really tasty...expensive but it makes the BH drinkable!

That will be my last resort. I hope to like the BH, as I love ND OGD86 despite its low proof.

Forgot to post one here over the weekend...Mr Stagg will play tricks on you like that. Anyhow, found what could be last 2011 Stagg in W TN and finally broke down & picked up a HW Rendezvous Rye.

I went into the store on Saturday with the intention of buying Four Roses SB and walked out with a PHC wheater (2nd batch) instead.

I went into the store on Saturday with the intention of buying Four Roses SB and walked out with a PHC wheater (2nd batch) instead.

Excellent find! I love when something like this happens.

I picked up a PHC Cognac Finished for $50. A helluva deal if you ask me!

Holy cow! Where'd you score that?

Holy cow! Where'd you score that?

Like most things too good to be true, it was a mistake that was fixed after my purchase. A similar thing happened when I picked up a bottle of Benedictine in CA a couple weeks ago. The printed label said $8 while the register said something like $30. I was able to convince the manager to sell it to me for $8, which has to be significantly less than wholesale.

A few PHC wheaters and OFBB '09. I know the '09 had very mixed reactions, but I really like the '08 and '11 expressions, so I thought I would give it a try.

Picked up a couple bottles of one of my cheapie favorites today, Virgin Bourbon. Also a couple of Dixie Dew Corn Whiskies, Bulleit Rye, and a set of the Woodford Ryes. Looking forward to opening the Woodfords this weekend at the GBS get-together.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.