what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Taylor Tornado Surviving!

Nice nose, spicy, and burns the tongue just enough to keep me interested. Perfect for a late night nip while churning out code.

Started with a pour of WLW 10' then onto a 50/50 of OWA NAS & Weller 12. Night cap was a good sized pour of 2011 Saz 18.

It was a good night!

Willett 16YO... Gonono bottling that is IMO one of the best Willett's.... killer good even at cask strength..

Had some EW BIB followed by Old Ezra 101. The two are very similar, though the EW shows its youth with a little more corn flavor. Good to know if I can't get to the deep(er) South when the EW runs out!

I'm looking forward to doing a tasting of these soon, along with Virgin 101. I have some open bottles I need to get rid of first before I open those, that's why I'm sipping on some ORVW 10/107 and some super super super yummy Mellow Corn.

OWA tonight just enjoying a nice April evening. Then maybe a Kentucky vintage nas to finish it off.

I'm looking forward to doing a tasting of these soon, along with Virgin 101. I have some open bottles I need to get rid of first before I open those, that's why I'm sipping on some ORVW 10/107 and some super super super yummy Mellow Corn.

I think you're going to like the Virgin 101 if you like Old Ezra 101. Pretty sure they are the same whiskies. On your next trip Down South, you need to get to Alabama, and git yerself somma that Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey. MC is 4 years, and DD is 3 years. I like the DD much, much, better. Interestingly enough, the DD is definitely darker in color; and seems older, richer, fuller, and more...s'fisticated than the MC. Even though it's younger. Dirt cheap, too.

I think I just talked myself into a pour of it. :D

Not bourbon technically (I know) but Jack Daniels Silver Select, one ounce with a teaspoon of Italian (happened to be in the fridge) spring water. It turned a chewy but flavorful whiskey into a sweeter, softer whiskey with a silky texture and wine-like taste. Really. It's probably about 85 proof, maybe 80. The singularities of the single barrels and especially for some reason Silver Select even though it's said to be from the same runs, are very evident, some of it is very Kentucky bourbon-like.

Gary

Bowling night usually means Devil's Cut and tonight was no different. Except I was left with just a short pour after having used more than I realized on vatting experiments. So that gave me reason to go back for a pour of Pure Kentucky XO, which either has gotten better over the past week, or my palate is just more sensitive and in tune with the spice and wood it puts forth.

OWA tonight just enjoying a nice April evening. Then maybe a Kentucky vintage nas to finish it off.

Changed my mind....opened up Balcones True Blue Corn Whiskey and really enjoyed it!

Enjoying the last of my 2011 WLW. Quite a bit of barrel char in this last pour but it still tastes amazing.

I think you're going to like the Virgin 101 if you like Old Ezra 101. Pretty sure they are the same whiskies. On your next trip Down South, you need to get to Alabama, and git yerself somma that Dixie Dew Corn Whiskey. MC is 4 years, and DD is 3 years. I like the DD much, much, better. Interestingly enough, the DD is definitely darker in color; and seems older, richer, fuller, and more...s'fisticated than the MC. Even though it's younger. Dirt cheap, too.

I think I just talked myself into a pour of it. :D

I never make it as far south as Alabama....but heck, you just talked me into it. :grin:

Put Booker's up against KCSB last night. Despite their similar pedigrees, big differences. Booker's won in just about every category.

Four Roses 120Th ..... quite a bit of variation between barrels but all are excellent with a few being stellar!!

Last night while watching the Bulls win and the Hawks lose I had a couple pours of ETL 15yr...I don't hit this bottle very often and it's a good thing as there aren't very many of this bottles around. It's hands down my favorite bottling of ETL that I've had. There is a caramel sweetness that transitions very nicely to a bit of vanilla spice. :cool:

Last night while watching the Bulls win and the Hawks lose . . .

Just had to throw that in, didn't you? :hot: People aren't exactly Hawks crazy down here. Seems like we're always decent and never really good. D. Rose is a special player. By the way, the ETL 15 sounds incredible.

Just had to throw that in, didn't you? :hot: People aren't exactly Hawks crazy down here. Seems like we're always decent and never really good. D. Rose is a special player. By the way, the ETL 15 sounds incredible.

Yeah I was more talking about the Blackhawks of the NHL...we all know that people aren't exactly hockey crazy either seeing as your team up and moved last year. :shocked:

The ETL 15yr SB is a killer bourbon...it has a tremendous amount of complexity and flavor for a 90pr bottling.

Last night while watching the Bulls win and the Hawks lose I had a couple pours of ETL 15yr...I don't hit this bottle very often and it's a good thing as there aren't very many of this bottles around. It's hands down my favorite bottling of ETL that I've had. There is a caramel sweetness that transitions very nicely to a bit of vanilla spice. :cool:

Agree 100% with you Bob on the ETL 15YO ...... could be the toughest bottle of ETL to find ... not even sure where one would look other than the 'bay...

Yeah I was more talking about the Blackhawks of the NHL...we all know that people aren't exactly hockey crazy either seeing as your team up and moved last year. :shocked:

The ETL 15yr SB is a killer bourbon...it has a tremendous amount of complexity and flavor for a 90pr bottling.

Ah, forgive me . . . wrong Hawks. Frankly, I was surprised we had a hockey team to begin with. Not a lot of interest with most southerners. I'll keep a look out for a chance to try that ETL 15 SB.

Starting off with some PVW15. Only have about 1/8 of the bottle left... so it may be PVW15 all night! Why not?! :bigeyes:

Just had my second Ritt BiB old fashioned. Love the recipe from The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks that my wife gave me for Valentine's day last year.

2 tblsp simple syrup

3 dashes Angostura bitters

1 oz of whiskey, stir

A few ice cubes

2-3 more oz of whiskey, stir and enjoy

Since I made it with rye tonight, maybe I should have put this in the rye forum but regardless, this is a great drink. No place for water or club soda in an old fashioned in my opinion.

Just had my second Ritt BiB old fashioned. Love the recipe from The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks that my wife gave me for Valentine's day last year.

2 tblsp simple syrup

3 dashes Angostura bitters

1 oz of whiskey, stir

A few ice cubes

2-3 more oz of whiskey, stir and enjoy

Since I made it with rye tonight, maybe I should have put this in the rye forum but regardless, this is a great drink. No place for water or club soda in an old fashioned in my opinion.

Truer words have never been spoken! Also, I hate when there is a whole orange slice or a cherry in there. Even worse when they are both muddled, creating a pulpy mess in the drink. The recipe I've grown up with and have known to love is what you listed, but also with a thin strip of orange rind (valencia orange only) muddled along with the bitters and sugar, and then another rind squeezed over the top to release a mist of its oil as you are about to serve it. Bourbon works fine in it, but Rye is sublime!

I have one of these that I did a past trade for. This makes me want to crack it open, but once I do, that sad feeling hits that once it's gone, it's gone forever.

Not today, but someday soon I think. Elmer certainly is a living legend.

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!