What bourbon are you drinking today - Summer 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I sometimes go through moods or phases where I want a pour, but can't decide, nothing "speaking" to me. On these occasions I have Karen pick something for me. So last night we go through this ritual and she picked an SB blend. This bottle is the remains of an early vatting, probably last fall. 2ish oz in a Riedel bourbon glass with a splash, ten or so minutes airing. The nose was amazing, rich and heavy, sweet and bold. The flavor didn't exactly match the nose. It had the caramel-brown sugar-vanilla that you'd expect, but the dominate trait last night was fruit. Once I was drinking it the nose and flavors meshed, the bold fruit gave way to a comparatively subdued brown sugar finish. This was hands down the best pour of SB blend I've had to date.

I had some OGD 114 last night. It seemed a bit oakey on the finish...at least more than I remembered. Maybe I'll have to break out something really good tonight.

Just opened my CEHT barrel proof (134.5) that I bought . . . an hour ago? Reminds me of a slightly mellow Stagg (not that "mellow" is a descriptor I typically care for in a dram!) A warm hug of vanilla, toffee and caramel with subtle spice . . . :grin: Happy Wednesday!

Just opened my CEHT barrel proof (134.5) that I bought . . .

CEHT?!? what does that stand for?

Just opened my CEHT barrel proof (134.5) that I bought . . . an hour ago? Reminds me of a slightly mellow Stagg (not that "mellow" is a descriptor I typically care for in a dram!) A warm hug of vanilla, toffee and caramel with subtle spice . . . :grin: Happy Wednesday!

That would be a great bottle for you to bring on Friday!

I second that motion. Has this hit Atlanta yet?

I second that motion. Has this hit Atlanta yet?

Yes. Saw a few today during my weekly lunchtime reconnaissance.

I was thinking the same thing. I picked it up at Tower off Piedmont, which isn't one of my normal stops. The guy said he had just received A six pack (and he emphasized the "A" as he wasn't sure if he would get another - and unlike the BTAC or PVW, there was no waiting list). I honestly haven't looked anywhere else for it though.

2012 4RLESB - my bourbon of the year (so far). Fruit, cinnamon, nary a stitch of heat, great mouthfeel - nothing missing.

Edited by yountvillewjs

OWA Single Barrel to start the evening followed by JPRS 18. Sticking with wheaters tonight, I think.

OWA Single Barrel to start the evening followed by JPRS 18. Sticking with wheaters tonight, I think.

Yep...wheater night. Old Fitz BIB (1991) is next, thanks to a very generous SB.com member!

FRSB - barrel selection by Clearview Spirits in SnoHo

Is that the OESO? How are you enjoying it?

Is that the OESO? How are you enjoying it?

I think it's the standard OBSV since it didn't specify on the bottle - they picked it out this year a week or two before the Kentucky Derby so it's different than the previous OESO they had picked last year.

I haven't had a chance to do a back2back with the TPS FRSB but plan to when I get back from SLC. Regardless, I like it enough that I'll end up getting another bottle.

Edited by ChainWhip

My grandson Bryce was born this evening. I'm celebrating with a nice healthy pour of 07 WLW. :grin: Cheers! Joe

My grandson Bryce was born this evening. I'm celebrating with a nice healthy pour of 07 WLW. :grin: Cheers! Joe

Congrats - that's just awesome!

Congrats! I'm celebrating with Michter's Small Batch. This is just good stuff.

Congratulations Joe! Great pour for the celebration!

I've never had much luck finding dusties, but thanks to a fellow S.B. member I was able to pick up a few bottles of Old Forester B.I,B. from the late '80s-early '90s. This is the pre-Signature stuff with the paper label. Overall, it reminds me of the Early Times 354 bourbon except at 100 proof. It goes down real easy, no rough edges (doesn't taste like 100 proof). It has a mild Cracker Jack or carmel corn flavor. Also, I'm pleased to announce some stores in Indiana have started to carry Weller 12. So, I've been enjoying some of that too.

Now I know what was pulling me to reach for the WLW last night.

Cograts, JOE!

:toast:

That's great news, Joe! I'll raise a glass in honor of your grandson tonight.

Congrats Joe! Hell, in your honor I'll have some mid-80's Old Fitz BIB tonight, as if I need an excuse. Cheers!:toast:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!