What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started with a 4R OESK I brought down to about 95 proof, great stuff! Then had a friend over and we enjoyed some Antique, JWDant 31, EWSB '94, and EC18. Amazing how the profile stayed the same over all the bottlings, sweet at first with a refreshing minty finish. The mint was a lot less on the EC18, barely there, which was interesting.

Did a side by side of my Baconated-OWA and standard OWA - and there is no doubt which one is infused with bacon! I strained it several times to remove solids - to the point where in the bottle it looks like just bourbon (not really cloudy, although a tad lighter than the original). But the mouthfeel is tremendously different - it has a greasy/oily mouthfeel, yet still retains the OWA character with just some lovely smoked bacon flavor thrown in! Definitely looking forward to sharing with other enthusiasts to get their take.

I don't like to do things like this...But, I'm going to do it anyway.........

I am drinking the Single Greatest Whiskey that has ever graced my palate...

2012 Parker's Heritage Collection. It is now my All-Time #1.

I don't like to do things like this...But, I'm going to do it anyway.........

I am drinking the Single Greatest Whiskey that has ever graced my palate...

2012 Parker's Heritage Collection. It is now my All-Time #1.

Wow. High praise.

dinner party last night.

started with Black Maple Hill 16 yr old that I've had for a few years. Not sure this is still available--too bad.

opened a new bottle of 4R 120th Anniversary

An '03 Ezra B 15 yr Single Barrel, while watching the rain fall, and listening to the Braves on the radio. A massive Butterscotch Bomb. :yum:

dinner party last night.

started with Black Maple Hill 16 yr old that I've had for a few years. Not sure this is still available--too bad.

opened a new bottle of 4R 120th Anniversary

With a little encouragement from the folks in chat, I opened my bottle PHC 2012 last night and had a pour. Pretty amazing bourbon, very unlike anything else I've ever had. For me, it has the sweet nose and entry of a wheater, and the rye spice kicks in a little later in the palate and continues through the finish. Definitely looking forward to trying it again.

Balcones Baby Blue as a nightcap. A really nice corn whiskey. Actually, very nice. Best micro corn whiskey I've had.

Dang small Iphone screen...:D Shoulda gone in the other thread....Sorry...:o

Edited by p_elliott

I had my first try of a bottle of Russel's Reserve Bourbon last night. Not impressed so far, it had a watery mouthfeel and was rather bland tasting.

Celebrating another successful TS audit with some PVW23 tonight. I will probably follow that up with some PHC 2012 or GTS.

Blanton's Straight from the barrel (UK purchase). Toffee and almonds at the start hint of orange peel, woodsy and slight burn as it sits on the tongue. Thicker than regular Blanton's. Sorry but still new to this hobby and my pallet is very junior. have to say I really find it enjoyable and warming.

The last pour of WLW 2011. A dark, char filled, wheated wonder! With much restraint this bottle lasted 11 months but came to an end today. Didn't swirl it much early on - char bonus at the end. Memorable!

Rob

Giving the 2012 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon another go. Got it the other day and tried it and wasn't impressed. Thought my palate might have been off or something. Nope. I definitely find it too hot for my taste.

PVW20. What else would I open to celebrate my 49th birthday?

That was supposed to be 40th. Fat fingers and iPhones don't mix.

The last pour of WLW 2011. A dark, char filled, wheated wonder! With much restraint this bottle lasted 11 months but came to an end today. Didn't swirl it much early on - char bonus at the end. Memorable!

Rob

Ahhhh, the char...BT's little bonus to us on their barrel strength offerings. :yum:

Had some Four Roses single barrels last night - TPS OBSK and OBSQ. Both were really enjoyable, and the difference between the two was really amazing considering their similar age and identical mashbill. OBSK's spice was the star of the night for me. Can't wait to try some more of their recipes.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!