What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of my multi-bourbon blends (about 15), trying to get the "perfect" palate again. It's a good even-flavored drink but it could be better. I'll keep trying. :)

Gary

Some 2011 ER17. This stuff goes down easily. I would call it an everyday pour if the price wasn't so high.

Some circa-1990 Forester Bonded. So good. I wonder if B-F did the preliminary toasting of barrels it does now for JD and I'd think its bourbon brands too. The 1990 seemed less sweet than today's (which I like too), more restrained in taste maybe, but elegant. I got this in a small San Francisco liquor store last year, and have to husband it, these dimpled bottles are harder and harder to find today.

Gary

Some circa-1990 Forester Bonded. So good. I wonder if B-F did the preliminary toasting of barrels it does now for JD and I'd think its bourbon brands too. The 1990 seemed less sweet than today's (which I like too), more restrained in taste maybe, but elegant. I got this in a small San Francisco liquor store last year, and have to husband it, these dimpled bottles are harder and harder to find today.

Gary

Gary, is your bottle DSP-354? I recently found some OF Bonded 354 from around 94, and really enjoyed it, especially after a week of being opened. Having loved older 414 bottlings, I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm curious as well. I have a 354 Forester BiB from the early 90's as well, and I found it to be restrained and tasting "aged" mores so than the 4 years in the barrel--with a dark molasses or even burnt caramel flavor that I found to be very intriguing and unlikely anything else I've had. I wonder if it's slow oxidation over time in the bottle or if the bourbon always tasted this way

Enjoyed a nice pour of Weller 12 while watching the espn documentary on Ben Johnson. This is my first bottle of the 12 year and I feel it's improved greatly after being open for a few weeks. As for the documentary, I really think they can make one on girls tee ball and I'd watch it. They're just so well made.

Sipping on an old tax stamped Wild Turkey 86.8 proof. On one hand, I'm delighted with that signature, mature, rich, Turkey that I adore...even at <100 proof. But on the other hand, it just reminds me of how far this distillery has fallen from those heady times... :frown:

I'm curious as well. I have a 354 Forester BiB from the early 90's as well, and I found it to be restrained and tasting "aged" mores so than the 4 years in the barrel--with a dark molasses or even burnt caramel flavor that I found to be very intriguing and unlikely anything else I've had. I wonder if it's slow oxidation over time in the bottle or if the bourbon always tasted this way

At that time it's most probable it was older than 4 years as the glut period was still going. That dark molasses flavor is in the 354's and if you had a tight cap I doubt it's from oxidation.

DSP-414 old forester BIB, I am almost shocked how much this pour tastes like rum

Yep, there are many older posts referencing this quality in DSP 414 and some other dusties.

Larceny. A good bit of it, and I'm vacillating; earlier today I was undecided, but now I'm pretty sure I need a handle of this. It's tasting like the wheated brother of a great batch of EC12.

Sipping on an old tax stamped Wild Turkey 86.8 proof. On one hand, I'm delighted with that signature, mature, rich, Turkey that I adore...even at <100 proof. But on the other hand, it just reminds me of how far this distillery has fallen from those heady times... :frown:

Without a doubt it is currently in last place in the standings among the majors...John Hansell announced on his blog today that a nas 110 proof small batch Russell Reserve is being released. Even John got a good shot in about them and they deserve it.

A big 'ol burnt corner of the brownie pan pour of OGD 114. There are few places on this planet that you can get such decadent lucsiousness for $22...

Larceny day two. Same underwhelmed feeling as day one. I don't feel ripped off at all, just "Eh."

I think I feel the same way.

Willet 11yr - TPS bottling. Solid flavour as the bottle airs out. Will miss this one in a few more pours.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!