What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sipping on PHC 6th a couple nights ago. Another winner in the PHC series. The rye and wheat blend really compliment each other.

A healthy pour of 2007 OFB'day. Still thankful for that store clerks mistake! Whenever they say "I looked in the back, and I only found this one in the Manager's office - but it isn't this years; it is a few years old. Would you want this one?", I have to focus on not looking as excited as I am. (sigh) "Well, if that's all you got, I guess that will do" :grin:

Old Forester BIB with a Fall 1979 tax stamp. I made it last as long as I could but one more pour after this and I'll need some empty bottle group support.

Wild Turkey 8 export with a cube or two.

No baseball to watch tonight.

Boooooo

OFBB it is, make it a hat trick. I think mine is from '09, but not sure. 1979 was a GREAT year. :)

Hit up some Bowman BIB. Great rye spice on thus one and a great finish. Well played Buffalo Trace. Well played!!

Old Ezra 7 yr 101 while listening to the ALCS on the radio. If you're missing the good Turkey, find yourself some of this.

WLW 2012 celebrating a Tigers sweep!

And sweep they did. I'll drink to the fall of the "Evil Empire" as well!

Happy Friday everyone. Started with a small pour of EWSB 2000, then ETL, now JPS 18 #10. Later, the TPS Bowman 18 year 147 proof.

Today I am sipping in my Maker's Mark snifter, a vatting of four Four Roses bourbons. One is the 2012 LE (not great IMO), one is a rich SB, one is Yellow Label and the last Small Batch.

It is about 1:3:1:1, respectively, more or less.

In doing this, I wanted to efface the rough finish of the LE; reduce a slight excess wood note in the SB; use the floral notes of the Yellow Label; and get full effect from the buttery, banana/papaya-like flavors of the Small Batch but in a deeper, softer interpretation.

And I did achieve all this plus get a soft, flowing finish. So I would rate this as a very good vatting, or mingling, really.

I made another one of the same constituents but in different proportions but can't get it as good.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Just to illustrate the difference between batches 1 and 2:

Batch one had that flowery, slightly sweet, rosewater-like signature that is FR at its best. Plus as I said it is silky, flowing on the palate, characterized by equipoise one might say.

Batch 2 is more woody, not as flowery and sweet, one-dimensional. I am not sure how to work on it further, perhaps some more Yellow Label can reduce the wood and increase the flowery notes. A little SB might deepen the sweetness, the rosewater. I'll get there.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Started the night with some WTRR 10/101 and now I've moved onto some Willett 10yr Toddy's...I think I'll keep the 10yr thing going with some ER 10/101 next. :)

Decided to go with some 1997 Louisville OWA instead of the ER101...it's amazing how thick and syrupy this stuff is...crazy! ;)

Finished off my Kirkland small batch. It's a good quality pour, but something in Beam hooch always puts me off. I don't know if it's the wood or the yeast, there's a green quality I just don't find pleasant. I think I'll send my back-up bottle to PI.

Edited by MauiSon

Met Master Distiller Truman Cox tonight at Specs in Dallas. Great guy very informative. Enjoyed a Taste of small batch and single barrel John Bowman. Got two bottles autographed and after showing him a picture of my home bar he gave me a barrel head and autographed that as well. Real enthusiast and a great whiskey. The single barrel is older and sweater than the younger small batch. Will be looking forward to something older than ten years in the future.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!