What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was able to grab a bottle of GTS yesterday while hunting for WLW which I didn't find.

Looks like I'll have to try and find some PVW/VWFRR very soon.

$10 more than the state minimum, I can deal with that. Although I did find a VWFRR that the guy wanted $199 for which is a bit to rich for me.

Best regards, Tony

... tell them about the $199 price for the VWFRR. They are attempting to deal with price gouging issues and they want to hear from their customers.

Increase the supply to match demand and ... presto ... the price "gouging" will end.

If you have a facebook account, post a message to Old Rip Van Winklle and tell them about the $199 price for the VWFRR. They are attempting to deal with price gouging issues and they want to hear from their customers.

Thanks for pointing this out, I have posted there and will send an email to them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If you have a facebook account, post a message to Old Rip Van Winklle and tell them about the $199 price for the VWFRR. They are attempting to deal with price gouging issues and they want to hear from their customers.

Several independent shops I've talked to in SD have told me that the only way they can get a Van Winkle bottle is by purchasing say $3000 worth of crap vodka from their distributor. The expense associated with obtaining the VW is one of the major factors in these ridiculous prices I have seen. Of course the other major factor is they are sometimes able to actually sell a PVW20 for $400.

One guy I talked to said he would never again bother with getting a VW for a customer as he was still sitting on 10 of the 12 cases of vodka he had to purchase two years earlier.

Do you think the Van Winkles would be interested in what these distributors are doing?

Increase the supply to match demand and ... presto ... the price "gouging" will end.

Yes, they should just move the lever at the instantaneous bourbon production/aging/tasting facility to "OVERDRIVE." Or take the tanked product and just use science to multiply it.

Seriously, though. If they do that, quality goes down. Part of what makes these releases special is that they are selected for outstanding qualities.

On topic, picked up another WLW, Saz18, and ER17. This store usually gets them late, but only $65, so I try to hold out a bit.

Several independent shops I've talked to in SD have told me that the only way they can get a Van Winkle bottle is by purchasing say $3000 worth of crap vodka from their distributor. The expense associated with obtaining the VW is one of the major factors in these ridiculous prices I have seen. Of course the other major factor is they are sometimes able to actually sell a PVW20 for $400.

One guy I talked to said he would never again bother with getting a VW for a customer as he was still sitting on 10 of the 12 cases of vodka he had to purchase two years earlier.

Do you think the Van Winkles would be interested in what these distributors are doing?

I've heard the same story in LA. The place said they stopped carrying it a few years ago because they can't move all the crap vodka they have to buy. They quoted similar dollar amounts too. I don't blame them, I wouldn't carry it either.

It makes sense, though. Why would they give the highly coveted flagship product to store that don't support the rest of the product line?

For what it's worth, they don't have to buy just Rain Vodka (which as far as vodkas go, ain't bad). I think it can be anything under the Sazerac/BT umbrella. A local store owner told me that they pushed several bottles of the BTEC on him so he could get an allocation.

If they are serious about the price gouging, I would bet they'd like to hear about it.

This is just speculation on my part, but I would guess that if this whole VW/Pappy thing continues on it's current path, there will be very little interest in the brand, other than from a few rabid, wealthy fans. Not many will bother with the price or the ridiculous amount of time and effort to locate it.

Lordy! There are so many outstanding choices out there that don't carry the angst of chasing down (and them paying too much for) PVW's "rare" offerings. In the past 3 weeks I have been able to pick up several Parker Heritage 2012's, Stagg, Sazerac 18, and Handy. Not to mention a delicious old 10 year old 1783 and Jefferson Presidential. The Presidential, according to Trey, will be gone by Spring of 2013 and then folks will be bidding up that price. PVW is on my shelf but it is rarely the one I reach for and I've yet to not enjoy my selection. The Van Winkle mystique .. in my opinion .. is certainly darn good juice .. but the mistique is manufactured by the purveyor and those that give it hallowed status. I drank PVW juice this weekend from two bottles and neither had the PVW label on the bottle. Then I reached for any number of other dynamite bourbons and ryes .. and each was a joy to partake in.

The only way I'll pay $300 for an old PVW is if someone is standing by me offering $500 for the bottle. It just ain't that much better than a lot of $15-$80 bottles that I can find on the shelf today.

So .. today ..l I'll just go pick up a bottle of $12 1783 .. or, go pick up the dusty ten year old 1783 and rejoice in my good fortune. These guys are probably no more serious about busting the price gougers than they are about bottling white dog next year. But it sure does make for good press ... and ever present demand.

Lordy! There are so many outstanding offerings out there on the shelf today that it makes no sense to me to spend time and a lot of money to capture a revered bottle of PVW. Aside from the outrageous prices you pay on, or off, the shelf .. the angst factor just doesn't make it worth it. Just in the past few weeks I have picked up Stagg, Handy, Saz18, Presidential, and a darn good personal selection WT Kentucky Spirit. I picked up a personal selection Willett 119 proof and 122 proof that are both especially tasty. All under $100 each .. and any one of which I always reach for even though PVW is on my shelf. This weekend I tasted VW juice from two labels .. and neither was PVW. Additionally, I was blessed to find some old ten year old 1783 that is an out of the park home run. That one was about $16.00!

Does anyone really believe that PVW is seriously seeking to punish the price gougers? Not me. But it sure does make good press (for them) and keep the demand at unrealistic highs for what litttle of the juice they favor us with releasing over the next year or so.

Today I'll pick up a bottle of 1783 for $12.00. It ain't Pappy ... but it ain't nothing but good .. and I'll have change for a good movie for the wife and I and one hell of a dinner!

Oh, and that Jefferson Presidential that is said to be Pappy juice will .. according to Trey .. be gone by Spring. And even if this last run may only be 90% Pappy .. it'll still be a bargain unless he employs Pappy-like marketing techniques to give it mystical, hallowed .. and made-up .. legendary status.

You are spot on sir, but if people don't spend all that time hunting Pappy then it won't be as rewarding to brag about it here when they score a bottle. I mean, look how much praise and attention was given to the guy that found a single bottle of rye.

We feed the hype machine as much as we try to quash it.

I was told by a store owner yesterday that didn't get much PVW and zero BTAC, that the rep is highly recommending that stores charge a much higher price. The store owner indicated they were disappointed in this tactic because they always try to sell at the state min. We will see if they get some and what they try to charge me.

This year places are asking $165-$250 for GTS when last year they were charging $70-$90. I can't justify paying those kind of prices.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

You are spot on sir, but if people don't spend all that time hunting Pappy then it won't be as rewarding to brag about it here when they score a bottle. I mean, look how much praise and attention was given to the guy that found a single bottle of rye.

We feed the hype machine as much as we try to quash it.

I found a single bottle.

No one praised me. :(

I found a single bottle.

No one praised me. :(

Atta Boy Dram! You done good. :grin::bowdown:

Bought a bottle of Bulleit bourbon today. Usually pass on it but on sale at $23.99, I figured i'd bring it home.

I bought three bottles of the 2012 Limited Edition Four Roses Small Batch from an online Etailer.

Today I received from them three bottles of the standard everyday shelf inventory Four Roses Small Batch.

I got ripped off by the tune of $150.00 and $25.00 for shipping.

No reply to my phone voice mail message and/or email.:rolleyes:

I bought three bottles of the 2012 Limited Edition Four Roses Small Batch from an online Etailer.

Today I received from them three bottles of the standard everyday shelf inventory Four Roses Small Batch.

I got ripped off by the tune of $150.00 and $25.00 for shipping.

No reply to my phone voice mail message and/or email.:rolleyes:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!