What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Definition of a good day:

1 x 2009 Parker's Heritage Golden Anniversary

1 x 2012 Four Roses Single barrel OESK

1 x 2010 William Larue Weller 126.6 proof

Rob

I have to wonder why 2010 product still sitting on shelf. Is it right product, wrong store?

I have to wonder why 2010 product still sitting on shelf. Is it right product, wrong store?

It's not unheard of. i went into a hole-in-the wall and found 2011 GTS, 2010 WLW still sitting on the shelf next to VW Lot B. This was in the beginning of this summer. So these were clearly missed (except when I found them ;) )

Most of you that have been here a while know I love wheaters. For some of you newer members, I love wheaters. :lol: I procured a few more wheaters in the last couple of weeks or so. Pic below.

As a little side note here, when I added these bottles to my spreadsheet, I checked to see what percent of my stash is wheaters. Roughly 40% of the bottles I have are wheaters. Not bad. The surprise came when I checked my BIB's. 25% of my bottles are BIB's. Wheaters and BIB's. Don't get much better than that Vern. :grin:

post-3455-14489818354429_thumb.jpg

Most of you that have been here a while know I love wheaters. For some of you newer members, I love wheaters. :lol: I procured a few more wheaters in the last couple of weeks or so. Pic below.

As a little side note here, when I added these bottles to my spreadsheet, I checked to see what percent of my stash is wheaters. Roughly 40% of the bottles I have are wheaters. Not bad. The surprise came when I checked my BIB's. 25% of my bottles are BIB's. Wheaters and BIB's. Don't get much better than that Vern. :grin:

What a nice haul!

2012 Four Roses LE Small Batch hit the shelves here this week so I picked up a couple. I think I'm done buying for the rest of the year unless someone waves a PVW 15 in my face at a reasonable price.

It's always possible that a distributor set some of the product back for Restaurant customers and never received orders and then cleared the stuff out to stores right before the 2012 release. I bugged the crap out of my local store in April of this year to get me another bottle of 2011 ER17 and they called me up and said it had arrived and to come pick it up. I get there to find a Fall 2008 release ER17. No complaints by me as the 2008 got very good marks and I was excited to try a different "vintage."

I grabbed a pair of OGD 114's on special in PA today.

Easily my favorite Beam release.

Bought another Four Roses Single Barrel Ltd Ed 2012 off the shelf today. I'm not a hoarder, but I love it so much I'm having flashbacks to 2009 when I should have been stuffing my cabinet with Four Roses Ltd Ed releases.

This week, I was traveling in an area new to me and made a few stops along the way. The story from the shop owner was that he was interested in selling some up market products a couple of years ago but his customers didn't go for it in his small town. The WLW was sitting on a shelf next to a Handy since 2010.

Rob

Yep. Yesterday I bought a Binny's selected Knob Creek SB Reserve (barrel 153-sample 153A) with a $5 off coupon. Had some the last two nights and it is the best Knob Creek I've ever had but I still enjoy OGD 114 a bit more. Also grabbed a '12 WLW and Larceny within the last week. Couldn't pass up the Larceny on sale at $18.99.

My fave Beam, too. That's one great whiskey. I'm down to my last couple of inches in my bottle. I'll be making a purchase soon, too.

:toast:

PVW15,FR SB 2012 LE and EC12 X 2,I love in store liquor rebate cards.The EC was $15 with the rebate,couldn't pass at those prices.:grin:

Bought another Four Roses Single Barrel Ltd Ed 2012 off the shelf today. I'm not a hoarder, but I love it so much I'm having flashbacks to 2009 when I should have been stuffing my cabinet with Four Roses Ltd Ed releases.

I've been looking for the FRSB LE2012 with no luck. I have asked two store owners if they would work on this for me. I've got my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I lucked out. Four Roses' facebook page told me that Jim Rutledge was at Chuck's Liquor store in Bowling Green, KY yesterday. I asked my brother to stop by. He got a chance to talk with Jim. Unfortunately, my brother isn't a bourbon drinker so Jim was talking over his head. They talked for five minutes and no one was around. He said Jim would have talked all night if he could have stuck around. I'm so jealous right now. It would have been awesome to meet and speak with Jim.

At any rate, my brother picked up a FRSB LE 2012 and a FRSmB LE2011. I asked for a SmB LE2012 but he took what Jim gave him. Jim politely signed my bottles. He even put well wishes on one of them for me and my wife's 15th anniversary that we just had two days ago.

CnB OWA #61, almost bought the new PHC, but passed- Karen was with me!

Did you ask the clerk to hold it for you until the next time you visit?

No. I'm trying to avoid a purchasing ban this fall, not pushing my luck. The last ban she instituted was brutal. It was only lifted to make special purchases f or our wedding! With the wedding card played, I have no more aces up my sleeve.

They do have a way of putting a death grip on our nads, don't they? ;)

No. I'm trying to avoid a purchasing ban this fall, not pushing my luck. The last ban she instituted was brutal. It was only lifted to make special purchases f or our wedding! With the wedding card played, I have no more aces up my sleeve.

I feel your pain - I have a monthly budget (or allowance), and I have to save up for the fall when the good stuff comes out. I wound up spending more than I planned in Kentucky at the festival this year, so I put myself on a self-imposed ban for the rest of this year - except for some previously made arrangements. Already had to pass on some lovely stuff - but there will be more next year I'm sure!

I bought a Four Roses Single Barrel yesterday, personalized by Jim Rutledge. I got to meet with him at the Louisville Rd Chuck's in Bowling Green.

I got the chance to learn some great information from him regarding the plot of how the whiskey absorbs the wood sugars through the years, and how once the whiskey absorbs all the wood has to offer you only have around 6 months before the whiskey starts taking on the tannins and goes downhill.

I also talked to him about the 17yr gift shop bottle I finally opened last weekend. His comment was that he felt those 17 year old barrels were some of the best he's found.

Jim is a pleasure to talk to, and obviously knows his stuff.

I also picked up a bottle of 4R Single Barrel 2012. Looking forward to cracking it open tonight as the Wolverines and Tigers both get it on.

I bought a Four Roses Single Barrel yesterday, personalized by Jim Rutledge. I got to meet with him at the Louisville Rd Chuck's in Bowling Green.

I got the chance to learn some great information from him regarding the plot of how the whiskey absorbs the wood sugars through the years, and how once the whiskey absorbs all the wood has to offer you only have around 6 months before the whiskey starts taking on the tannins and goes downhill.

I also talked to him about the 17yr gift shop bottle I finally opened last weekend. His comment was that he felt those 17 year old barrels were some of the best he's found.

Jim is a pleasure to talk to, and obviously knows his stuff.

One of things of interest is that if it starts to go downhill at 9 years, how is it that the 17yrs are some of the best O_O?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!