What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Fall 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sazerac 18 (2)

Stagg (4)

WLW (2)

ER17 (2)

Handy (4)

FR Smb (1)

Bushmills 1608 400th Anniversary (1)

Surprisingly, it's the Bushmills (circa 2008) that was the find of the day. Plus, I negotiated the sticker from $105 to $86 to boot.

Was up in Vermont trying to scrounge up cans of Heady Topper (aka the finest regular-production beer in America) at a liquor store. They were limiting purchases to two 4-packs per group so an older employee told me to hang back from my friends so we could sneak out a little extra. While I was waiting I started chatting with him to appear as alone as possible and noticed a few bottles of the E.H. Taylor tornado bottling sitting on the floor of the shop. So he goes on a roll about bourbon, shows me the shop's BTAC stash, complains for a really long time about how they don't get as much as they used to, and I end up with a completely unplanned WLW (I couldn't pry away the one Saz 18 they got as he was keeping it for himself). Nice bonus find!

Was up in Vermont trying to scrounge up cans of Heady Topper (aka the finest regular-production beer in America) at a liquor store. They were limiting purchases to two 4-packs per group so an older employee told me to hang back from my friends so we could sneak out a little extra. While I was waiting I started chatting with him to appear as alone as possible and noticed a few bottles of the E.H. Taylor tornado bottling sitting on the floor of the shop. So he goes on a roll about bourbon, shows me the shop's BTAC stash, complains for a really long time about how they don't get as much as they used to, and I end up with a completely unplanned WLW (I couldn't pry away the one Saz 18 they got as he was keeping it for himself). Nice bonus find!

It's amazing what you can accomplish by being friendly with the store owner. I've had that scenario happen a few times as well. The best example was when I was visiting a brewpub once and everyone told me to ask for the brewmaster once I got there. So eventually I did, and before I knew it, he was leading us on a guided tour of the brewery and pulling samples from several barrels of his experimental beers that were aging in the cellar.

How was the Heady Topper? One of those beers that I've always wanted to try.

4R SB LTD 12'. I find this still to be one of the best bourbons of 2012. Surprised to find several bottles left on the shelf. Haven't seen any PHC 12' or BTAC. Don't know if MI has gotten its allocation yet.

Sazerac 18 (2)

Stagg (4)

WLW (2)

ER17 (2)

Handy (4)

FR Smb (1)

Bushmills 1608 400th Anniversary (1)

Surprisingly, it's the Bushmills (circa 2008) that was the find of the day. Plus, I negotiated the sticker from $105 to $86 to boot.

Great Haul! Gotta have days like that

I picked up a bottle of K&L Wines's hand-picked Rock Hill Farms. My expectations weren't too high as I've always found RHF very solid, but not distinctive. This bottling, though, is something different. Instead of the sweetness and cherry flavors I've gotten in other RHF, this one smells and tastes like apples. It's not a flavor I can remember finding in bourbon before, and it's terrific. I don't know how old RHF is, but I can also make out some young-ish, grainy tastes in this version. But it plays nicely with the apple flavors.

Overall, I'm happy. If you like the sweetness of standard RHF, this version may not be your thing, as it's pretty crisp and spicy. If you're looking for something unique, it may work for you. I just wish RHF were a bit less expensive.

Forty Creek John's Private Cask, picked up in Nova Scotia by my in laws. Arrived in Texas safely by travel trailer.

It's amazing what you can accomplish by being friendly with the store owner. I've had that scenario happen a few times as well. The best example was when I was visiting a brewpub once and everyone told me to ask for the brewmaster once I got there. So eventually I did, and before I knew it, he was leading us on a guided tour of the brewery and pulling samples from several barrels of his experimental beers that were aging in the cellar.

How was the Heady Topper? One of those beers that I've always wanted to try.

Oh I've been completely hooked on Heady for the better part of a year. So hoppy (and pretty boozy) but it drinks like a lawnmower beer.

The kind store owner who reserved me a GTS '12 called today and asked if I would be interested in a Saz 18. Of course, there was no hesitation on my part. I only wish I had the funds to buy the WLW he offered as well. However, I have a greater fondness for ryes that far exceeds anything else at present.

In Bardstown. Picked up an Elijah Craig cask strength (128 proof) and a Willett single barrel 11 year old bottled for the bourbon festival. May have wasted my $ but we'll see. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

In Bardstown. Picked up an Elijah Craig cask strength (128 proof) and a Willett single barrel 11 year old bottled for the bourbon festival. May have wasted my $ but we'll see. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Bought it at the heritage center (Heaven Hill). Apparently only sold there. Same bottle and age as regular 12 year old but most definitely 128 proof.

Bought it at the heritage center (Heaven Hill). Apparently only sold there. Same bottle and age as regular 12 year old but most definitely 128 proof.
Edited by p_elliott

Yes, grossly overpriced at $74.95, and I really don't even care for regular Elijah Craig. But I don 't think this available in the general marketplace. I do plan to drink it as I am not a collector and subscribe to the theory that bourbon is made tone consumed.

I picked up a WT Tradition in a schmancy wooden box.

Also: Tempus Fugit Creme de Menthe, Del Maguey Chichicapa Mezcal, and some Bittercube Blackstrap bitters.

I will be combining them all into the worst cocktail ever.

Edited by Trey Manthey

I have never heard of an Elijah Craig cask strength please post picture. Was this a private Barreling?

Today I finally got PHC 6th Edition! So to my Dallas/FT folks...it's gotta be at your store somewhere. I had to inquire about it as it wasn't on the shelf. I left two others behind.

I also got a 350ml of OWA with the 7yr AS.

A bottle of Willett Family Estate 6yr (119 proof)

A bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB for the bunker.

And...a bottle of Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel BIB for the helluvit. Not a bad pour actually.

QQ: Does anyone know where Willett is sourcing their Family Estate stuff the 6 and 7 year? I tasted the 7 year yesterday and I cracked open my new 6 year today and BOTH whiskeys numb the inside of my mouth. GTS and WLW do not do this...but these Willetts do O_O

As requested, here are some photos.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14360[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14361[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14362[/ATTACH]

I am guessing this is another bottle of awesome that Texas will never get :(
Edited by HighInTheMtns

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!