Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It makes sense to me to mark it up if you are going to get highjacked like that and get stuck with some low/no turn inventory that you'll have to blow out at some point ... or give them a lot b for cost if they'll take a case of the wine you got stuck with ...

Makes sense, but its awful hard to make up for a couple cases of poorly marked up items with a couple bottles of jacked up stuff. Better off filling your store with happy customers.

I'm new to these forums, and recently came across a bottle of Pappy 23yr for $700. How reasonable is this kind of markup?

...recently came across a bottle of Pappy 23yr for $700. How reasonable is this kind of markup?

Depends how much income you're earning from your trust fund/wall st year-end bonuses/stocks/oil wells/gold mines/etc ....

Not very, I used to leave it on the shelves for a fraction of that price. My general rule of thumb is I will not pay more than the cost of a case of Barton for a single bottle of anything because there's nothing on the market that's 10-12 times better.

I don't know, squire, you may miss out on your bottle-of-a-lifetime with that kinda thinkin'!

Over 30 years ago I was drinking what people then considered bottles of a lifetime . . . been there, done that, tossed the empties . . . with my Barton rule I'm not missing much.

Over 30 years ago I was drinking what people then considered bottles of a lifetime . . . been there, done that, tossed the empties . . . with my Barton rule I'm not missing much.

+1 - been going back to the value pours myself after trying VOB BiB for the first time. Mostly been some Old Forester, AAA10yr, and VOB lately.

On Bourbon Exchange, I believe the prices for the ORVW23 Decanter are approaching $3k!!!

On Bourbon Exchange, I believe the prices for the ORVW23 Decanter are approaching $3k!!!

Craigslist has it for $5K!

Not very, I used to leave it on the shelves for a fraction of that price. My general rule of thumb is I will not pay more than the cost of a case of Barton for a single bottle of anything because there's nothing on the market that's 10-12 times better.

In case you missed it, this past friday, CNBC's Fast Money had a segment on Bourbon--highlighting Pappy. The host said a bottle of PVW23 goes for $5000!!!!! Pretty humorous! Segment link below.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000182497

I would bet an older version (meaning vintage date not age statement) at a fancy charity auction in NYC would bring close to that.

The decanter set is getting close. It might bring 5k at an auction.

It sadden me that he said people buy this not to drink but to collect cause they think the value will just keep going up. This should be consume and appreciate I say and I always have one open in my bar.

I totally agree. I cringed when they started talking about bottles as an investment. Misses the whole point. I guess if the Dutch could invest in tulips then bourbon isn't immune from investors. sad but true...

It ain't fine art we're talking about, the producers of Pappy can increase the supply at will.

I "won" the right to purchase a 15 yr for $80 from my local shop. They have drawings,

quarterly, for the "hard to get" stuff........;)

I suppose. I've NEVER won anything, so this was a nice surprise.

I totally agree. I cringed when they started talking about bottles as an investment. Misses the whole point. I guess if the Dutch could invest in tulips then bourbon isn't immune from investors. sad but true...

Hey, you can't lose investing in bourbon can you? Just like buying gold at $1800/oz. It never goes down right?

I admit I horde good bourbon including PVW. But I horde so my friends and I can enjoy it. I've never thought of bourbon as an asset to sell (not to mention it's not legal to sell it most places).

If you believe Bourbon is a good investment you'll be thrilled to hear about some no money down real estate opportunities I'm aware of.

Bourbo is an investment - in your future drinking pleasure! Whether that future is the next few hours or decades is your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

post-9650-14489819558801_thumb.jpg

Well, a new low. A lottery for the privilege of paying more than double MSRP. Lovely. The sad thing is look how many entry sheets are piled around the bottle.

post-9650-14489819558801_thumb.jpg

My future drinking pleasure is now.

These are serious words of wisdom! I raise a glass to this tonite.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!