Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What about Four Roses? You see BP stuff from them all the time just N of 100.

I figured that would be the next post but I don't recall because my brain is compartmentalized and that information is in the don't remember today section.

It stands to reason though barrel proof at bottling is higher than at entry (almost always in Kentucky unless there's an unusually cold corner on the ground floor of one of the warehouses) so, what was the Rutledge 40th edition, 108 proof? That would mean a barrel entry of about 103 - 105. Somebody ask Jim.

At least some FR drops in proof; there have been <100 proof cask strength bottlings; can't imagine their barrel proof is that low. The single story warehouses preclude them from having anything go to extremely high proofs.

Can't imagine them barreling at less than 100 proof but in a cold, single story warehouse the proof can actually drop while aging as it does in Scotland.

Even though we've veered off topic, I find this info very interesting. I learn something every day on these boards.

I learned that FR is the new SW. And in 20 years we will all be wondering why we didn't stock up on FR's bourbon.

The modern whisky is still good but we had to develop the SB blend to make it better.

I'm definitely in the camp wanting to know what the fuss is about with Pappy. However, after drinking mostly SB blend and ECBP the past couple of weeks, I'm completely satisfied knowing that I have an ample amount of both bunkered. I've also cracked open this McKenna 10 BiB that's on sale this month, and it's a good showing from HH.

You need to try it at least once, but if you have tried other good wheaters (Weller) it probably won't live up to your expectations or even be on your radar after that. Not at the current prices at least.

Pappy is perfect for those who aren't in the know but want others to think they are.

Others can clear the shelves of Pappy as long as they leave the rest for me. The problem is that those who are willing to overpay for Pappy are willing to over pay for everything else. Fortunately, there is enough for them to over pay for that they don't look at the stuff that I buy.

Oh, you asked about BT. I presume they barrel at 125 proof which is the legal max for Straight Bourbon. It has to be that much for Stagg to age out with as high a proof as it does.

Thanks Squire and I was actually asking about both so as to compare SW to BT specifically in PVW terms, back on topic :). I am very much on the fence about acquiring some PVW15. The PVW legend is built on SW which I have never and likely will never get to taste. I am however very curious about the PVW flavor profile simply for my enjoyment, education, rounding out of my experience on my personal tour de bourbon, in other words for the FUN of it. The pricing per pour led my to sign up on one of the infamous lists. I won't judge a bourbon on a single pour and purchasing a couple/three over different occasions gets one close enough to just sign up for a damn bottle. That said the fact that I will pay premium$ for a facsimile of what is on the label has me in a back and forth as to the worth of it all. I would like to de-mystify the SW legend for myself, that would be really cool. I HOPE the powers at BT have a reference profile that brings the current vintage to something like what "used to be". Squires info throws that into serious doubt. I don't know what my response will be should a bottle become available to me. I like Weller 12 so what does the additional 3 years and $$ get me? I do not expect the definition of bourbon to be rewritten by PVW, hell my expectations are actually low and it would face stiff competition from what I consider the modern day SW that IS distilling and whose products are readily available and whose flavor profile I enjoy above any other I have yet tried. I will probably get one, just in the hopes that its a good tasting bottle but there is a limit to the $ and nonsense I am willing to endure, especially since it isn't even what got all this "enthusiasm" rolling in the first place.

I learned that FR is the new SW. And in 20 years we will all be wondering why we didn't stock up on FR's bourbon.

I'm not waiting :).

If you're on the fence on PVW15 I'd try it at a bar if you can. That said, Jason Pyle compared the two side by side on his blog if you're curious about his opinion on this.

If you're on the fence on PVW15 I'd try it at a bar if you can. That said, Jason Pyle compared the two side by side on his blog if you're curious about his opinion on this.

Good point.

I'd also say that despite the hype, PVW15 is a very very good bourbon. I think it's significantly better than Weller 12; a whole different level.

I also don't think it's all that difficult to be able to try SW whiskey. The easiest way I can think of is just to make friends with some of the whiskey community. People tend to be very generous with their bunkers. Secondly, do some dusty hunting and sooner or later you're bound to bump into some SW Old Fitz, Rebel Yell, Cabin Still, Weller, etc. Also, a lot of the better bourbon bars have SW juice on the shelf.

I do not closely follow such things but understand only the 20 and 23 year old Pappy still contain a portion of Stitzel-Weller whisky blended with Buffalo Trace whisky. The rest of the brand uses BT distillate so I guess what makes Van Winkle whisky special today is barrel selection.

There's probably been BT juice in PVW15/20 for quite some time now (in varying degrees)

Edit: apparently we were posting about the same idea at about the same time

I do not closely follow such things but understand only the 20 and 23 year old Pappy still contain a portion of Stitzel-Weller whisky blended with Buffalo Trace whisky. The rest of the brand uses BT distillate so I guess what makes Van Winkle whisky special today is barrel selection.
Edited by ChainWhip

The bar prices I have seen justify just getting a bottle, we'll see. I don't even know when it gets released OCT/NOV/DEC. I'll just keep an ear out.

Good point.

I'd also say that despite the hype, PVW15 is a very very good bourbon. I think it's significantly better than Weller 12; a whole different level.

I also don't think it's all that difficult to be able to try SW whiskey. The easiest way I can think of is just to make friends with some of the whiskey community. People tend to be very generous with their bunkers. Secondly, do some dusty hunting and sooner or later you're bound to bump into some SW Old Fitz, Rebel Yell, Cabin Still, Weller, etc. Also, a lot of the better bourbon bars have SW juice on the shelf.

You're quite right I shouldn't totally give up. Will look forward to getting to know more of the bourbon faithful and of course keep an eye out when shopping around.

As of last year's interview Chuck had with Julian:

10yr-all BT

12yr-Bernheim and BT vatted together

15 yr- Bernheim, BT and SW vatted together

20yr & 23yr- BT and SW vatted together

I thought all of the 15 and below was 100% BT as of the 2012 Fall release? Was there a difference between the Spring and Fall releases last year?

Whisky Advocate says one thing: http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2012/06/11/what%E2%80%99s-in-that-bottle-of-van-winkle-anyway/

...and SourMashManifesto says another: http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2011/12/15/2011-pappy-van-winkle-15-bourbon-review/

Edited by smknjoe

I thought all of the 15 and below was 100% BT as of the 2012 Fall release? Was there a difference between the Spring and Fall releases last year?

Whisky Advocate says one thing: http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2012/06/11/what%E2%80%99s-in-that-bottle-of-van-winkle-anyway/

...and SourMashManifesto says another: http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2011/12/15/2011-pappy-van-winkle-15-bourbon-review/

Two different people reported two different things...

Lets not beat a dead horse....again....and again. ...and again....:deadhorse:

You pointed it out, which made me curious. Especially since they both said the info came straight from VW. I thought someone would know for sure. :skep:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!