Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16194[/ATTACH]

Well, a new low. A lottery for the privilege of paying more than double MSRP. Lovely. The sad thing is look how many entry sheets are piled around the bottle.

I want to win a "drawring"!!

I want to win a "drawring"!!

Spell check is so under use. :)

Just like practical sense are so under use now a days.

On Bourbon Exchange, I believe the prices for the ORVW23 Decanter are approaching $3k!!!

I've offered my bottle to the uninformed for $50k...lol!

Craigslist has it for $5K!

Do not tell my wife this. I am saving mine and going to drink it.

Best regards, Tony

I've offered my bottle to the uninformed for $50k...lol!

Is this site still active? When I try to link to it from my FB account I get a broken link message.

Is this site still active? When I try to link to it from my FB account I get a broken link message.

Very much so. I responded to an offer of PVW 20 - for which he wanted $450. He made it sound like that was a great deal since we could do the hand-off in person (I venture to his part of the state 1-2x month) and not deal with shipping. I was just curious about how much gouging actually took place on BX. I've accepted that I may never own a PVW bottle, and will probably only get a taste some day at a whiskey bar.

Very much so. I responded to an offer of PVW 20 - for which he wanted $450. He made it sound like that was a great deal since we could do the hand-off in person (I venture to his part of the state 1-2x month) and not deal with shipping. I was just curious about how much gouging actually took place on BX. I've accepted that I may never own a PVW bottle, and will probably only get a taste some day at a whiskey bar.

Thanks, it appears my FB account is too new and they have filters. I will try again later. As for the PVW, get on as many lists as you can and I bet you will eventually get a bottle. I won an ABC lottery for a PVW23 at retail. I must confess though that it is not one of my favorite bourbons. I had enjoyed it at special dinners a few times but now it mostly just sits on the shelf like a trophy or something. :frown:

Please remember to keep specific BX price discussions out of the SB forums. You can do as you please on other sites, but don't drag the dirty laundry back here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

sorry, I only posted that to illustrate how bad the price gouging was over there. I'd delete my post, but it would still be shown quoted by NW.

I live in a controlled state, so there's only one list and it's quite long. And there's only one bar in town serving "high end" whiskey, but the service is horrible and it's owned by a complete ass. I may use my next trip out to Vegas for some unicorn bourbon tasting.

sorry, I only posted that to illustrate how bad the price gouging was over there. I'd delete my post, but it would still be shown quoted by NW.

I live in a controlled state, so there's only one list and it's quite long. And there's only one bar in town serving "high end" whiskey, but the service is horrible and it's owned by a complete ass. I may use my next trip out to Vegas for some unicorn bourbon tasting.

Better yet, get to know the SB community then attend a get together where there's usually a great selection to try with good company. Pick up a PVW if you happen to stumble onto one but no need to dread over one, coming from an obsess PVW guy. Many of a us have it bunker and happy to share.

I'm sure some would think me fortunate to have been around when Pappy sat on the shelves for lack of interest but I don't miss it. I do miss Yellowstone Mellow Mash but not Pappy. I suppose everyone who hasn't tried it want's to just to see what all the fuss is about and some who have determined it was just that, a lot of fuss.

I'm sure some would think me fortunate to have been around when Pappy sat on the shelves for lack of interest but I don't miss it. I do miss Yellowstone Mellow Mash but not Pappy. I suppose everyone who hasn't tried it want's to just to see what all the fuss is about and some who have determined it was just that, a lot of fuss.

If I'm not mistaken, Squire, you're not really much of a wheater fan to begin with are you?

The modern brands (say the last 15 years or so) are brought off the still and put into the barrel at higher proofs than the SW process and the resulting whisky is less rich for that.

That's true Jack but to a large extent I'm speaking of the modern wheaters when I describe them as being somewhat lacking. 20 years ago we bought Weller 7/107 and Van Winkle 10/107 by the case but those bottles were filled with Stitzel-Weller whisky. The modern brands (say the last 15 years or so) are brought off the still and put into the barrel at higher proofs than the SW process and the resulting whisky is less rich for that.

At what proof did SW enter the barrel vs. Current BT ?

There are some exceptions (Wild Turkey) but the industry standard now is 160 proof off the still and 125 into the barrel. Years ago it was a lot different, Stitzed-Weller was 103 off the still and into the barrel coming out at 107 after aging. There were some other differences, SW used open cookers, fresh yeast and a pot doubler for their column still, but the main difference is proof in the making.

Oh, you asked about BT. I presume they barrel at 125 proof which is the legal max for Straight Bourbon. It has to be that much for Stagg to age out with as high a proof as it does.

Until recently it was 105 off the still and into the barrel which is why the barrel proof Rare Breed is 108.4. They are now using 115 off the still and 110 into the barrel.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!