What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having some scotch on the rocks.

You can't drink bourbon ALL the time, you know. :slappin:

Went under the knife last Monday, so I figure I'm well enough now for a drink or two. I'm going to start with the chewy goodness of the 2009 GTS.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15072[/ATTACH]

Saturday night was a 2012 BTAC GTS followed by a 4R Old Fashioned. Last night was a 4r Old Fashioned that killed the bottle.

Last night I enjoyed JPS 18, Elmer T Lee (Sable Chicago bottling), and a Schenley Bourbon Chicago Bottling from the 50s. The Schenley tasted like a high rye bourbon. Loads of mint, super cool stuff.

Barton with coffee and that's no joke.

WT 101 Rye with my coffee this morn, I was having a rough start

Edited by brettckeen

Cocktail hour has finally arrived, think I'll celebrate with some Old Grand Dad.

Cocktail hour has finally arrived, think I'll celebrate with some Old Grand Dad.

Getting low on an EWSB 2002 bottle. It's good, the herbal notes are have faded quite a bit more than the other flavors. It seems to pack as much alcoholic heat as the Blanton's I just finished.

Head to head EC12 and EC12BS with proof brought down to match. Even then, you can see how much darker (and cloudier) the barrel strength version remains.

post-8673-14489818840635_thumb.jpg

post-8673-14489818840635_thumb.jpg

Edited by MyOldKyDram

Head to head EC12 and EC12BS with proof brought down to match. Even then, you can see how much darker (and cloudier) the barrel strength version remains.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15079[/ATTACH]

At 94 proof I'm giving the edge to the regular ole EC12. It's sweeter and more balanced, while the BS gets a real earthy funk on the nose and a fairly nasty bitterness on the finish. Will being keeping this one a lot closer to its natural state in the future.

I took the weekend off for Easter, so my "buds" are not in shape. Starting out with some 4RYL.

Celebrating a good friend successfully defending his thesis with 2010 EWSB and 2010 WLW. Both were great but the WLW is special stuff.

At 94 proof I'm giving the edge to the regular ole EC12. It's sweeter and more balanced, while the BS gets a real earthy funk on the nose and a fairly nasty bitterness on the finish. Will being keeping this one a lot closer to its natural state in the future.

I'm probably in the minority, but the 'nasty bitterness' describes almost all the bourbons I've tried proofing down (albeit, I haven't tested many). For some reason, real or imagined, I like it better when the pro's add the water at the source.

What kind of water are you adding to the spirit?

I'm guessing the BS goes cloudy when water is added because it's not chill-filtered, whereas the regular 94 proof, is filtered (in order not to go cloudy if water is added).

I'm drinking an Old Taylor 6yr AS I picked up today. Not bad juice for $10.99.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!