What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OGD BIB finished the thawing process. I keep forgetting how watching futbol(OK, soccer):grin: can keep you awake, especially when the Home Team takes on Mexico. Just a little friendly betting with a few guys at work. USA!USA!USA!

Having some AAA10* with my buddy outside DC, unwinding after a long drive up from SC. The weekend saw the opening and draining of a Willett 6 year rye amongst great friends at a wedding in Charleston. A bottle of Sazerac 18 that I gifted to the groom also got cracked but the majority survived for him to enjoy in the future with his bride. It was a great time.

EWSB 03 then Ritt bib and finishing with RHF all while watching the Penguins win their 13th in a row!

Enjoyed a few pours at my buddy's basement bar last night. Revisited his bottle of FRSmB that I found rather foul in January. Everything was totally pleasant. It must have been something I was eating at the time that altered my perception of the flavors. I followed that up with a Woodford Reserve, another pour that I have a history of not enjoying. This was more of the same with Woodford. It's a perfectly acceptable whiskey, obviously crafted with care, but not to my particular liking. Went home and capped the night with some HH White label.

Enjoyed a few pours at my buddy's basement bar last night. Revisited his bottle of FRSmB that I found rather foul in January. Everything was totally pleasant. It must have been something I was eating at the time that altered my perception of the flavors. I followed that up with a Woodford Reserve, another pour that I have a history of not enjoying. This was more of the same with Woodford. It's a perfectly acceptable whiskey, obviously crafted with care, but not to my particular liking. Went home and capped the night with some HH White label.

It depends on so many things. What you ate, how you are feeling, the aromas in the room, etc. I have had the same experience.

Starting the night with some 1789b OWA #15 and it's the perfect follow up to the New Glarus IIPA that I had earlier this evening. :)

For dessert I'm doing side by side EH Taylor Small Batch Bonded, and Old Granddad Bonded.

EH Taylor: Beautiful dark caramel color, sweet corn nose, smells like BT, of the two thicker of the legs. I enjoy how the Rye sits on finish and lingers. The burn though is really intense and this is how i remember it on my last tasting. Could really use some water. After returning from the granddad, I'm enjoying the pleasant chew in the back of my throat. I can begin to appreciate how bold this one is.

Old Granddad Bonded: Lighter in color, nose full of straw and gasoline. Thin legs, no hangtime. So much more pleasant on the pallet though. The rye shines through with the sweet finish of corn. Like an old friend the familiar flavors takes me back. This bourbon is comfortable, like playing catch when yer 10 with yer own granddad.

Ordered a second JB Black on my American flight today, and am sipping on it now in my hotel room. Really gorgeous color to this whiskey. A touch of lemonyish citrus on the finish. Nice and chewy. The signature Beam yeast tinge is present, but I find it pleasant, and not off-putting like many do. Gives it a character all their own.

Cracked open the EW BIB Green Label I found today and put it up against the current BIB white label. A lot of difference is evident from the get-go with the nose! The current has a much softer approach and this carries into the taste, but I am finding this dusty to be very appealing as time goes by. Also have a pour of the Tom Moore BIB waiting in the ranks.

Having my first pour of Elijah Craig Barrel proof. It's full of flavor but very hot. It's not as smooth as other Barrel proof Bourbons that I've had.

Trying a bit of the EC12BS. It's like an extremely hot and spicy molasses cookie.

Celebrating the beginning of my vacation with a pour of PVW23 (2004 bottling). Hmm, sort of soft on the palate.

Celebrating the beginning of my vacation with a pour of PVW23 (2004 bottling). Hmm, sort of soft on the palate.

Starting the night with some 1789b OWA #15 and it's the perfect follow up to the New Glarus IIPA that I had earlier this evening. :)

New Glarus makes an IIPA???!!!! Good thing I'll be up in Wisconsin this weekend!

A freaking massive pour of WT Rare Breed at dinner tonight. Mammoth! Humongous! Gargantuan! Teeming! Cup-runneth-over-like! 6 oz. minimum...I'm thinking more...And, here's the beauty of it...$6. The best Rare Breed I've ever had...:D

Probably however, not making up for the $13 short pours of airport bourbons I've been doing lately..:rolleyes:

Just getting into a bottle of Col. E.H. Taylor. Barrel Proof

This stuff right here is fascinating!

random small pours tonight: campfire, owa, brimstone, obsk. it was bourbon adhd

Started with Willett Pot Still earlier after dinner. Now killing the final bit of Basil Hayden's. Much prefer the Willett.

A glass of slivovitz (R. Jelinek 5 y.o. 100pf) last night while I'm thinking about which bourbons I'll have after Passover ends (nothing fermented from grain allowed for the week...).

4RSmBLE '12 and 4R1B '12 are at the top of the list...

New Glarus makes an IIPA???!!!! Good thing I'll be up in Wisconsin this weekend!

Not to get off topic, but last year they made multiple IPAs. I normally don't like IPAs, but I thought the Moon Man was awesome.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!