What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Spring 2013

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Unless, something else catches my fancy, I'm finishing up with a pour from a newly purchased Buffalo Trace. This brand continues to deliver the goods.

Among other things, some RR 10/90. decent enough but the best descriptor I can come up with is "unremarkable." I did vat it 1:1 with some Rare Breed and I think the result was an improvement on both pours.

Yep I played around with the RR 10/90 because of that unremarkable, trying different minglings with Rare Breed, 101 and even KS but...don't remember it ever doing much for me. Of all the drop downs in taste quality of the WT brands, I don't think anything is as dramatic as the RR 101 to RR 90 and from the very beginning of that change back in '05.

1995 EWSB, followed by OGD114. Terrible, as always. Don't know why I drink the stuff.

Finishing up with a 2005 OFBB. Yum.

Unless, something else catches my fancy, I'm finishing up with a pour from a newly purchased Buffalo Trace. This brand continues to deliver the goods.

Out of the closet now? Me too! Remember the time, not long ago, when most folks here crapped on BT as pedestrian bourbon for the novice? It was almost like a gang-mugging if you had the temerity to admit you liked the stuff. Well, my last bottle was excellent and I anticipate that my new one will be too. And the price is right. More for us, Joe. Drink up!:grin:

Out of the closet now? Me too! Remember the time, not long ago, when most folks here crapped on BT as pedestrian bourbon for the novice? It was almost like a gang-mugging if you had the temerity to admit you liked the stuff. Well, my last bottle was excellent and I anticipate that my new one will be too. And the price is right. More for us, Joe. Drink up!:grin:

Count me in as a Buffalo Trace fan. Those bottles deplete themselves quicker than the others at my house. I find it to be very consistent and well balanced. Just the right amount of vanilla, grains, sweet, and oak. Not too dry either. It's good straight, chilled, room temperature, on ice, or mixed into a cocktail. When you are done with the bottle, they make great vatting vessels as well once you take off the paper label.

I certainly can't find fault with their range of products, from good to very gooder.

I had my first Russell's Reserve last night, neat. Good, but it didn't strike me as something I would go out of my way for.

Last night was FR OBSK followed by Noah's Mill.

The FR was delicious, as always and the NM was ok. Will probably get into more FR tonight...that stuff has really been hitting the spot lately.

I just returned from a liquor hunt, and a successful one at that. First two to try were 4R 80 and OGD BIB, watered to match the 80 for comparison. Both were very good for the money ($13.99 and $15.99) with a touch more flavor in the OGD, and a touch more mouth feel in the 4R. Then the light went on!

For my third pour I tried a 50/50 mingling of the two without water, and my oh my . . . what a beauty!!

Y'all can call this one the JW blend (my initials), as it was the SB blend that had me thinking of it in the first place. Please try it, guaranteed to please your palate!

Opening the cocktail hour with a respectful amount of Old Grand Dad.

After returning from my bachelor party and not being able to look at booze for a few days, I am easing back in with a few fingers of ND OGD.

Just finished my first bottle of 2012 GTS. Very good, but not as good as the previous GTS releases

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Sample of JPS 18 provided by a friend. Good enough to convince me to spring for a bottle. Nice to test drive before a purchase especially at that price point.

A mingling of 12 bourbons, 1 Tennessee, and Rittenhouse rye. Some of the whiskeys are FC, BT, ETL, 4R Yellow Label, MM, JD, JDSB, OC 10. Very rounded and soft mouthfeel with good rich bourbony goodness.

I am going to bring a sample to Bardstown next month for the opinion of Thad and other cognoscenti.

Gary

I myself still prefer AAA 10 to BT but thankfully we can all be satisfied...and AAA 10 it is as the first pour tonight...with a small side of BT just to make sure of the aforesaid :grin:.

"aforesaid"? You have been overtiming on your lawyerin' my friend! :D.

Tonight, I'm in the hotel bar here sipping on another crapped on, pedestrian bourbon...Maker's Mark. :D. And, I'm enjoying it as usual. :crazy:

I am getting near the bottom of a bottle of Bakers, and it has been a good one. I think Bakers is one of the more under-appreciated bourbons out there. I think it is really good. Easy to drink neat.

I am getting near the bottom of a bottle of Bakers, and it has been a good one. I think Bakers is one of the more under-appreciated bourbons out there. I think it is really good. Easy to drink neat.

I concur, slightly over priced but still one of my favs! In fact i think I will have a pour, thanks for the inspiration.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!