What beer are you drinking, Spring 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I couldn't decide what to order at a local bar, so I scanned the list of offerings on tap and picked one called "Victory at Sea" because I liked the name. I later learned that it's a coffee vanilla porter brewed by Ballast Point. Frankly, if I'd known what it was, I probably wouldn't have ordered it, which would have been a shame. I don't usually go for heavier, dark beers but this was just fantastic -- a great balance of sweet and bitter with a delicious finish and a nice, oily mouthfeel. I'll definitely be on the lookout for this one again.

Greenbush Brother Benjamin IIPA. Very tasty. In a blind tasting I would have guessed this was Hopslam.

All things Belgian these last few days with particular attention paid to Hoegarden, St. Bernardus Wit and Ommegang's Hennepin. Fabulous!

All things Belgian these last few days with particular attention paid to Hoegarden, St. Bernardus Wit and Ommegang's Hennepin. Fabulous!

Not drinking but WELL stocked on Lagunitas beers thank you SO MUCH RYAN!

Potosi Snake Hollow. A nice easy going IPA. Nothing fancy, just a tasty beverage from southwestern Wisconsin

Ballast Point just hit Chicago last week. After hearing a whole lot of good things about the brewery over the years, I'm excited to finally be able to sample some of their lineup.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I liked the draft of Victory at Sea so much that I went out and bought a bottle of it, to see if it confirmed my initial impressions. I'd say the bottled version was a little less balanced than the draft -- more bitterness and a bit less vanilla/sweetness. Still, though, a great beer and one that I'd buy again.

Drei Fonteinen Oude Gueuze last night. Delicious funk. Tart, acidic, barnyard goodness!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I liked the draft of Victory at Sea so much that I went out and bought a bottle of it, to see if it confirmed my initial impressions. I'd say the bottled version was a little less balanced than the draft -- more bitterness and a bit less vanilla/sweetness. Still, though, a great beer and one that I'd buy again.

So far I've enjoyed the Sculpin and the Big Eye IPAs -- the former more than the latter, but Big Eye has its place. Also picked up a Victory at Sea and a Sea Monster stout for future evenings.

I hooked up a Lazy Daze Amber Lager from Rochester Mills today at one of my accounts,....so I had to taste it.

I always tell the bar owner/manager/employee that it's part of the job.

So any way the manaager told me to pour one for her, I am not one to argue with a customer so I did and we both enjoyed this fine lager.

I hooked up a Lazy Daze Amber Lager from Rochester Mills today at one of my accounts,....so I had to taste it.

I always tell the bar owner/manager/employee that it's part of the job.

So any way the manaager told me to pour one for her, I am not one to argue with a customer so I did and we both enjoyed this fine lager.

Oscar -- do you drink much Short's product? I envy you your ready access to it!

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' back to back really hitting the spot tonight,I will say LAG really hasn't disappointed me across the boards in any way so far.

Half Acre Daisy Cutter followed by some West 6 IPA...good beers on a 85 degree Chicago day! :)

Ballast Point Sculpin on tap. $6 bucks for a pint. A sixer fetches $17 locally.

Glad to see that West 6th making its way around!

I agree. Just wish they had followed the iPa up with something more interesting than an amber. They went against the typical brewery playbook with the canned iPa and then straight back to it with an amber. I wonder what is next.

On a side note, newest shelton brothers shipment arrived after I left tonight. Can't wait to try Struise Black Albert and a couple of barrel aged Mikkeller collabs.

I agree. Just wish they had followed the iPa up with something more interesting than an amber. They went against the typical brewery playbook with the canned iPa and then straight back to it with an amber. I wonder what is next.

On a side note, newest shelton brothers shipment arrived after I left tonight. Can't wait to try Struise Black Albert and a couple of barrel aged Mikkeller collabs.

As far as I know West 6 is still only distributed in KY...I brought these back from the sampler.

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA. Very crisp and refreshing on a beautiful Chicago day. I could drink this all summer and I plan on it.

Oscar -- do you drink much Short's product? I envy you your ready access to it!

Is it not available in the Chicago area?

I got a 6pak of Huma Lupa Lupalicious and it was a bit much for me, I had to eat something with it.

It is definatley flavorful, it hangs in your mouth for a very long time.

I think I'll try their Pandemonium Pale Ale next time I see it, never had it.

Is it not available in the Chicago area?

I got a 6pak of Huma Lupa Lupalicious and it was a bit much for me, I had to eat something with it.

It is definatley flavorful, it hangs in your mouth for a very long time.

I think I'll try their Pandemonium Pale Ale next time I see it, never had it.

Nope -- definitely no Short's in Chicago. The company's website says it's distributed in Michigan only.

I was able to try two very good barrel aged beers last night.

The first was 70k from Against the Grain. This is a 13.1% milk stout aged in angels envy barrels. Very very tasty, not the bourbon bomb that Bo & Luke is.

Also drank a bottle of ToOl/omnipollo Brewmance. A stout made with wild honey and aged in bourbon barrels. It was much more subtle on the bourbon notes but they were still present and forward.

I'm drinking a Closure IPA from MI's own Greenbush brewery. This is a very solid IPA, perfect for a warm afternoon. The malt is light bodied but medium portioned (if that makes sense) and the hops are fresh and nuanced. Greenbush is doing a great job in a beautiful location. I hope to make it out there at some point this summer.

Flying Dog Underdog Atlantic lager. I tasted dusted cocoa and cherry notes the first time I had it, which was on a dare, basically, because neither my wife nor I enjoy lagers. I talked to the distiller later and found it was made with about 45% rye and some wheat, along with barley. No wonder I liked it!!! I've never heard of any beer with that much rye, much less an easy drinking lager! They said it was hell and a half to brew, due to the stickiness and filtering issues. Thank goodness they've persevered :)

Great Lakes Lake Erie Monster IIPA. I prefer the Alchemy Hour to this one, but still a nice drink on a beautiful Chicago day.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!