What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of my local places had quite a few bottles of JPS18 @ $89.99. They've been sitting for a few weeks, so hopefully the price comes down slightly. For all the good things I've read on them it seems like I should pick one up, but I'd rather have 3-4 bottles of OWA or Weller 12 than a single of JPS18.

One of my local places had quite a few bottles of JPS18 @ $89.99. They've been sitting for a few weeks, so hopefully the price comes down slightly. For all the good things I've read on them it seems like I should pick one up, but I'd rather have 3-4 bottles of OWA or Weller 12 than a single of JPS18.

JPS 18yr is very batch dependent. I've had some that range from ok to excellent. I don't see the price of those coming down at all. It seems that sales of this have picked up in my area. I'd attribute it to the "do you have pappy, no but we have this" syndrome.

Passed up several bottles of WTRB batch 01-97. They look like they have been sitting there for a while. Is 97 the bottled date, should I have picked some up?

These should be pretty good. I'd pay retail for them,

Passed on a slew of Jeffers Creek 6yo today. First time I have noticied it in my area. It may be Barton instead of BT juice but they seemed to have plenty of Weller bottles left over!

On the plus side it is is 6yo age stated whiskey. But at 80 proof it didn't have much appeal for me. Well, none actually. And if they aren't selling it under their own name, whether it be Barton or BT, it makes me wonder what they are trying to get rid of. Inferior product I presume until proven otherwise.

A bit interesting that the DBA, Kings Mark Company, is listed as being in Louisville rather than Bardstown or Frankfurt but then again none of the business shenanigans the distillers do makes much sense to me. I can only guess it makes sense for them.

post-8493-14489818923114_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489818923377_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489818923114_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489818923377_thumb.jpeg

Passed on a slew of Jeffers Creek 6yo today. First time I have noticied it in my area. It may be Barton instead of BT juice but they seemed to have plenty of Weller bottles left over!

On the plus side it is is 6yo age stated whiskey. But at 80 proof it didn't have much appeal for me. Well, none actually. And if they aren't selling it under their own name, whether it be Barton or BT, it makes me wonder what they are trying to get rid of. Inferior product I presume until proven otherwise.

A bit interesting that the DBA, Kings Mark Company, is listed as being in Louisville rather than Bardstown or Frankfurt but then again none of the business shenanigans the distillers do makes much sense to me. I can only guess it makes sense for them.

May as well bottle up the surplus under another brand name. If the price is reasonable there will be plenty of buyers willing to spring once for something new.

Sazerac seems to be pushing a bunch of these mystery brands lately. This is the only one that I've noticed with an age statement. Not sure if it is BT or Barton but they apparently have a lot of young whiskey to move.

Sazerac seems to be pushing a bunch of these mystery brands lately. This is the only one that I've noticed with an age statement. Not sure if it is BT or Barton but they apparently have a lot of young whiskey to move.

Maybe it's as simple as throwing a bunch of new brands against the wall to see which ones stick.

I ran into a liquor store as my wife walked in the grocery that is next door to it. It isn't my usual liquor store so I wanted to see what they had...they had a 4R Limited Edition small batch barrel strength...I was seriously considering it but I just couldn't pull the trigger at $76.99. I told the spouse I would scale back by purchasing some. I might go back this weekend.. If they still have it, it is meant to be.

Anyone tried it? What does it sell elsewhere for? That price is in OK.

Passed on a St. George's XXX Anniversary today @ $359.

I passed on one at $330 a few weeks back. Ultimately, it's a $300 NAS whiskey. Even with the glowing reviews I couldn't jump on it.

I ran into a liquor store as my wife walked in the grocery that is next door to it. It isn't my usual liquor store so I wanted to see what they had...they had a 4R Limited Edition small batch barrel strength...I was seriously considering it but I just couldn't pull the trigger at $76.99. I told the spouse I would scale back by purchasing some. I might go back this weekend.. If they still have it, it is meant to be.

Anyone tried it? What does it sell elsewhere for? That price is in OK.

If it is the 2012 SmB LE, I never saw it for below $100 here in the DC area. And the last time I saw one was Jan/feb. go back tomorrow!

I passed on one at $330 a few weeks back. Ultimately, it's a $300 NAS whiskey. Even with the glowing reviews I couldn't jump on it.

Yes, but its probably the best whiskey I've every nosed.

That being said, I probably couldn't pull on a bottle, but I will pull for a glass if I come across it someday again.

B

I went back and forth for a very long time before someone else bought it. I might rethink next time, but three bills buys some really good scotch. And A LOT of really good bourbon.

Made a quick stop last night to pick up a couple items. Left these behind

1-JPS 21 yr batch 8 @$125

4-Hirsch 25 yr Rye @ $229

1-WT Tradition 14 yr @$105

VSOF 12 yr @ $36.99 - I bought one and left one behind

Yesterday, while out of town I found a good stash of '07 Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek in the wooden boxes, IIRC they had an age statement. The prices were on the high side so I left them, knowing they will still be there if I feel like grabbing them later. I cleaned them out of pretty much everything else (WSR in the old bottles, EC18).

Passed on two McCormick Elvis decanters at $275 a pop, with the tax strips intact. All that I could think of as I looked at them was that squire would remind me of how many cases of Barton I could get with that amount of money. I always pass on decanters anyway, just cant get past the notion of them as gimmicks.

Reluctantly passed on a 4R Private Barrel OESF (10 y & 4 mths) @ $45.99. Thinking I may go back and pick one up.

Reluctantly passed on a 4R Private Barrel OESF (10 y & 4 mths) @ $45.99. Thinking I may go back and pick one up.

Probably pretty darn good, Matt. I recently tasted an OESF at 10 yrs & 8 mos that was lovely.

3 4RSB 2013 LEs, a Willett 21yr, an AE Cask Strength, and the most recent Parker's (66.6).

Prices on the 4RSBLE were good but I'll try the one I got before I grab more. Everything else was pricey. Very tempted on the Parker's, but it was a little high and I have a lot of stuff in the bunker to go through.

PVW 23 for $699.00 hahaha

i passed the same for the same price also...wonder if it was the same store.

also passed on a BTAC Handy at $80

AND the same vintage Handy at another store for $130 lol

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!