What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

Wryguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Alright, understood, dram ok, juice bad. For me dram just sounds more respectful than say a snort, which is the only other term I've heard whiskey referred to when consuming a small amount. Plus, wee dram just rolls off the tongue :)

Ok so I just opened a bottle that I picked up yesterday and while I'm sipping on my pour I notice the label says Russell's Reserve Smb SB?

WTF? How can you have a small batch single barrel? Even though the taste is OK I feel ripped off. I'm going to need to pay better attention to the labels on something I haven't had before.

Ok so I just opened a bottle that I picked up yesterday and while I'm sipping on my pour I notice the label says Russell's Reserve Smb SB?

WTF? How can you have a small batch single barrel? Even though the taste is OK I feel ripped off. I'm going to need to pay better attention to the labels on something I haven't had before.

When this first came out that was brought up, and I think our consensus was someone let the marketing people off their leash :lol: Since there is no legal definition of "small batch", it can be used at will, but a single barrel would be about the smallest batch you could have :) Just more than a little redundant. I believe someone got confirmation from WT that future releases would remove the "Small Batch" moniker, but I could be wrong.

Moved on to a mix of FRSmB 2013 and regular SmB then to just SmB.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Plus, wee dram just rolls off the tongue :)

i picture you as a leprechaun when i hear you say that

Having some KC SB this afternoon. I seem to be focusing on the bottles with low fill levels lately. Hopefully making room for some BTAC and VWFRR :cool:.

...but I for one like the term 'juice' and mean no disrespect when I use it!...
I'm a "juicer" too. I used to hear the old timers at the general store say that was what they were drinking from the mason jar.

Sampled some "bourbon apple pie" (OHH BIB) from the batch I made a couple of weeks ago. Flavor not bad, but may go with a straight rye for the next batch, as it is not quite where I would like it to be on mouth feel/spice.

Sipping PHC #7 PoH that I picked up. Not really sure what to make of this one yet. #6 is a favorite of mine and I have bunkered a fair number of bottles at least by my standards. I have been fighting a cold so maybe I am not getting the nose very well but up front the bourbon is good but certainly not great. The swirl improves a little bit and I swear I almost get a little "Scotchynish" on the front palate. The finish brings it home though. Long and sweet with fruity elements coming out. I pick out maybe a bit of candied orange peel and a touch of banana. Will play with it some more and see what comes out.

Evan Williams BIB mixed 1:1.5 with apple cider from a local orchard. I'm sipping this waiting patiently for the apple pie I made to cool. I always love cider and bourbon, but really like EWBIB in this application for whatever reason.

Alright, understood, dram ok, juice bad. For me dram just sounds more respectful than say a snort, which is the only other term I've heard whiskey referred to when consuming a small amount. Plus, wee dram just rolls off the tongue :)

Dram is pretentious.

Loving the William

Larue weller 2013. Hot out the bottle but tamed by some branch water it's a winner for sure. Lots of love for the fellas that helped me break her in. That means you GBS. special shout to the real Smokin joe. Bless you and your eternal hospitality. Many thanks

Oh hell - I won't try to list them all :lol: That 2013 WLW was pretty great - thanks Kev for sharing! Was glad to give Bambi a proper tasting, and definitely now have the FRSmBLE 2013 on my buy list. And who can forget the BV Toasted Caramel at that subtle 35%ABV . . . very sneaky stuff :)

Evan Williams BIB mixed 1:1.5 with apple cider from a local orchard. I'm sipping this waiting patiently for the apple pie I made to cool. I always love cider and bourbon, but really like EWBIB in this application for whatever reason.

EW is putting out their apple cider bourbon. Dont know if its new or not. Dont know what kind of mix they have, and Im sure your local cider is better. But if you want to be lazy, it may be worth a shot. Ill probably give one a try if it ever gets cooler in FL.

EW is putting out their apple cider bourbon. Dont know if its new or not. Dont know what kind of mix they have, and Im sure your local cider is better. But if you want to be lazy, it may be worth a shot. Ill probably give one a try if it ever gets cooler in FL.

i know the purists will bash us for it, but ive eyed that as well. bourbon, fall, and apples were just made to go together

I brought the Jack Daniels Winter to a party yesterday and it was very well received by everyone there, bourbon drinkers and others. Definitely want to try the EW version if I see it on the shelves. Like you said, bourbon, fall, and apples sounds delicious.

i know the purists will bash us for it, but ive eyed that as well. bourbon, fall, and apples were just made to go together

As a purist, I am wondering if you plan on using only dehydrated apples? ;-)

Nah, seriously this sounds great and I'm going to pick up some local cider and try it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!