What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

Wryguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened a bottle of OFBB 2009 that I had in the "bunker." Various reviews say this is either one of the worst bourbons of all time or one of the best. I poured a small sample half expecting to spit it out, but actually it wasn't bad at all. Definitely has that BF taste profile which apparently I like (even though I don't like WR). Not something I'll be drinking daily but certainly one that I will finish out the bottle.

Opened a bottle of OFBB 2009 that I had in the "bunker." Various reviews say this is either one of the worst bourbons of all time or one of the best. I poured a small sample half expecting to spit it out, but actually it wasn't bad at all. Definitely has that BF taste profile which apparently I like (even though I don't like WR). Not something I'll be drinking daily but certainly one that I will finish out the bottle.

Interesting. I'm a huge fan of the '10, '12, and '13. I've had '09 in the bunker for exactly the same reason. Like you, I enjoy OF but could live without another sip of WR. I'm going to pop open my '09 right now!

Moved on to the 4RSB (BS OBSQ) I just purchased today. Tasting notes? I will simply say that this is a lady worthy of my time and discretion.

Some recent acquisitions/tastings (all current stock):

Old Pogue: nice nose, body on the light side, clean flavours, hard to pin down source, earlier bottles suggested Beam to me but not this one. Slight barnyard in aftertaste. Solid performer.

Old Weller 107: This is a rare single barrel, selected by Astor in New York. Nice appley notes, typical 107 palate with caramel and light smoke. Good but not as good as a barrel proof sample that some good guys brought to Sampler last year - that was deeper, creamier, more toffee.

High West Blend of Straight Bourbons. This is the one that combines a 6 year MGPI and 10 year Four Roses. Excellent product, the body is heavy, sweet, aromatic. Shows the virtues of good vatting, ahem.

Gary

Some recent acquisitions/tastings (all current stock):

Old Pogue: nice nose, body on the light side, clean flavours, hard to pin down source, earlier bottles suggested Beam to me but not this one. Slight barnyard in aftertaste. Solid performer.

Old Weller 107: This is a rare single barrel, selected by Astor in New York. Nice appley notes, typical 107 palate with caramel and light smoke. Good but not as good as a barrel proof sample that some good guys brought to Sampler last year - that was deeper, creamier, more toffee.

High West Blend of Straight Bourbons. This is the one that combines a 6 year MGPI and 10 year Four Roses. Excellent product, the body is heavy, sweet, aromatic. Shows the virtues of good vatting, ahem.

Gary

Monday Night Football, Saints vs. Dolphins.

4R1BLE 2013 neat, OFBB 2011 with a cube, OWA with a cube.

Life on the couch is good tonight.

I'm committing to some serious bottlecide this week. Killed Abe Bowman Millennium last night, a WTKS tonight, had a sample of ND Old Crow for good measure.

Now I'm going to start the demise of a John J. Bowman.

I'm committing to some serious bottlecide this week. Killed Abe Bowman Millennium last night, a WTKS tonight, had a sample of ND Old Crow for good measure.

Now I'm going to start the demise of a John J. Bowman.

I've been sipping on some '60s Jim Beam 100 month old bourbon from a Key West decanter, as well as the first release of ECBP when I want something with a bit more kick.

After only beer at a client dinner, I stopped by my hotel bar which had only the usual suspects. Decided on a Knob Creek, and was rewarded for my choice. It was fantastic. I drink KC often, but never at home. It's so available on the road, I just drink it when traveling. I can 't remember the last time I enjoyed a pour if it more, however.

Knob Creek is the kind of thing my father-in-law will bring over for dinner, then leave at the house with a few pours missing. Never a complaint from me. I don't reach for it as often as I used to, but it's a real quality pour and takes ice extremely well.

Knob Creek...takes ice extremely well.

Also Vermouth and Bitters...Ginger Ale too. Really my favorite mixing bourbon. Don't care for it much neat anymore but I used to. Not sure why.

Knob Creek is a real quality pour and takes ice extremely well.

or nothing else!

Thanks to a fellow SBer locating an extra or two, I finally opened my 125th FR SmB. Wow. Just wow. Had a small pour last night and just poured another when I got home today. Just an extraordinary nose and long fantastic finish.

Yesterday enough bookers at a reception and then barhopping that i am not sure i need anything today :-)

Old Medley while watching shrimp cook on the grill. It's a sort of regrettable buy for the price, although I'm happy to clear shelf space for stuff from the bunker.

back to the HH 6 BIB....and then some KC120 to top it off

Edited by 393foureyedfox

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!