What beer are you drinking? Winter 13/14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sweetwater IPA after my workout. I've generally been neutral on SW's IPA over the years, but this latest 6 pk has really been nice.

Revolution Local-Hero IPA. It's fine, but lighter than expected, w lots of bready malt.

Had a Stone Arrogant Bastard and a Boulevard Foeder Projekt #1 at my favorite local spot. Got to talk to the Boulevard brewer behind the Foeder beer - really nice guy. If you like sour beers, this one was pretty darn good!

-- Ravensfire

During last weekend's date night w/ the wife, I had a few draft Velvet Merlins for the first time. They proved a great nightcap, and will hopefully make me appreciate the Velvet Merkin waiting in my fridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The quality of the beer isn't primarily related to their abilities as brewers, but more to the current state of taste in this town. When you're the only brewery in town and you're competing with Miller Lite and Bud Light drinkers at every turn, it's hard to get too far outside the box. Time will hopefully change attitudes.

Sounds like all of the micro brews we have around here. All are typically good, well constructed beers, but are bland. One very popular beer around here is Fireman's 4 from Real Ale. It's just like a Budweiser.

Having some Prairie Birra. I guess this replaced the standard? Fine by me. Bready and citrusy, light and refreshing. Could drink it by the case in the summer.

Also grabbed another Prairie American Style, and some Cantillon Lou Pepe and Fou' Foune.

Having some Prairie Birra. I guess this replaced the standard? Fine by me. Bready and citrusy, light and refreshing. Could drink it by the case in the summer.

Also grabbed another Prairie American Style, and some Cantillon Lou Pepe and Fou' Foune.

Had some iris on tap last week. Amazing. Have some fou foune coming soon.

Along with evil twin doughnut biscotti break plus the prairie birra.

I wish they would bring prairie hop back.

Prairie Hop was outstanding. Found a shelf full of it a few months back in Chicago. Would've rather it been a shelf of Bomb! but still...

Prairie Hop was outstanding. Found a shelf full of it a few months back in Chicago. Would've rather it been a shelf of Bomb! but still...

I want a shelf full of Bomb!

A Smuttynose Old Brown Dog ale from a fellow SB'er who had brown ale buyers remorse.

Tried the new Brooklyn Wild Streak, finished in Woodford Reserve barrels. Quite nice. Right up my alley.

*ETA: next up is the Harviestoun Ola Dubh 1991, finished in Highland Park barrels. Excited about that one too.

Edited by Wryguy

Tried the new Brooklyn Wild Streak, finished in Woodford Reserve barrels. Quite nice. Right up my alley.

*ETA: next up is the Harviestoun Ola Dubh 1991, finished in Highland Park barrels. Excited about that one too.

I have tried several of the Ola Dubh's to include the Ola Dubh Special Reserve 1991 vintage and although they are nice so far I haven't found enough that is distinctive about them to warrant the fairly pricey cost. Will be curious to hear what you think.

I had a Central Waters Reserve BBS on Saturday. I'm quite picky when it comes to BBS and this is a decent offering. As far as I'm concerned, 9.5% is low abv for an IS. No trace of booze in this, it's very dry, somewhat chalky with flat chocolate. Plenty of wood influence - too much in fact. The vanilla is there with the chocolate, but there's not a whole lot of depth to this. Hopefully age improves it.

Then yesterday I poured a Lost Abbey Deliverance Ale. This is much, much more complex, with plenty of deep booze-y notes to explore. Nice big beer, though I will not be a repeat customer at the $20(I think?) price for a 12.7oz bottle. This is last year's release by the way. Anyway, a nice effort, but in the end I feel like the blend of Angel's Share and Serpent Stout takes away more from the individual beers than the sum of their parts adds up to. The overall effect is nice but the nuances are muddled. I do want to get ahold of some of that Serpent Stout though.

I had a Central Waters Reserve BBS on Saturday. I'm quite picky when it comes to BBS and this is a decent offering. As far as I'm concerned, 9.5% is low abv for an IS. No trace of booze in this, it's very dry, somewhat chalky with flat chocolate. Plenty of wood influence - too much in fact. The vanilla is there with the chocolate, but there's not a whole lot of depth to this. Hopefully age improves it.

Then yesterday I poured a Lost Abbey Deliverance Ale. This is much, much more complex, with plenty of deep booze-y notes to explore. Nice big beer, though I will not be a repeat customer at the $20(I think?) price for a 12.7oz bottle. This is last year's release by the way. Anyway, a nice effort, but in the end I feel like the blend of Angel's Share and Serpent Stout takes away more from the individual beers than the sum of their parts adds up to. The overall effect is nice but the nuances are muddled. I do want to get ahold of some of that Serpent Stout though.

I had a Serpent's Stout a while back, maybe 18 months ago, and it was pretty decent. I have a second one sitting on the shelf from that same time. Might be time to revisit!

The brewers themselves are on record as saying this isn't one to age, though I'm still enjoying the 2011.

The brewers themselves are on record as saying this isn't one to age, though I'm still enjoying the 2011.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!