What Bourbon did you purchase today? Winter '13-'14

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fox if you are willing to spend $50 on Dick you should be willing to give Roses a shot for the same price. You never know until you try it.

Try an OESO. Good stuff that's usually anywhere from 102-120 proof.

I made an order from Binny's and along with some other purchases got one of their special bottlings of 4R OBSK. Had a small pour tonight and already I would say it's my favorite 4R special single barrel I've had. I love the standard 4RSB, but I've sometimes struggled to like the special selections. This one is a winner.

Many thanks to Lost Pollito!

Fox if you are willing to spend $50 on Dick you should be willing to give Roses a shot for the same price. You never know until you try it.

Ive tried 4R several times. The SB, the SmB, and a barrel proof (dont know what recipe). the barrel proof was good, the others not. Just gave SmB another shot last weekend. It's just not a profile that I care for. Even if it were $10 a bottle, Id still grab the Dickel 9 over it. I know, I'm in the minority here on this......but you like what you like.

You left out this part:

You said you've tried a barrel proof private selection that you enjoyed, but only had once. Why not try another barrel proof expression?

Yep, this.

Doug, at this point I'm wondering whether you're just being contrary for its own sake. You seem to have become a good bit more open minded about most everything else, why persist in this? Just makes you look arrogant.

3- weller 12 's and 2 WLWSR barrel selects. I really enjoy this stores selection.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yep, this.

Doug, at this point I'm wondering whether you're just being contrary for its own sake. You seem to have become a good bit more open minded about most everything else, why persist in this? Just makes you look arrogant.

I'm sorry if I came across offensively.

What you're not getting is that the problem isn't that you don't like Four Roses. Plenty of people have that opinion. It's that, in your case, you vocally dislike a brand of bourbon with which you are almost wholey unfamiliar - you have more negative things to say about it than any other member of this board. That's why I say you come across as arrogant. You speak of that which you do not know.

Anyway, you're in L'ville, I'm pretty sure a local member would be happy to let you taste some FR barrel picks and see what you think.

Initially, I also did not like the 4R line either. I was too blinded to only drinking wheated bourbon and obsessed on SW. For a while I traded most of my early 4R LE bottles.

Then over the year my preference changed and I liked it a lot but also discovered the small batch.

We are so different but that is also good because we all like something different and there is nothing wrong with that and better for our hobby. :)

Because with my past impressions of 4R profile, I'm not going to drop $55-60 for a barrel proof bottle, just to try it. If I see it in a bar or restaurant, sure, I will definately give it a shot! I have decided that I'm not going to buy anymore bottles of $35+ bourbon/whiskey blindly. I'll try it in a bar/restaurant, but not a whole bottle. I make a point to try something new every time I go to a nice dinner or out with friends.

I am never contrary just for the sake of it; and if you knew me, I am definitely not arrogant. But, from what I've learned on this site...if you differ in your tastes dramatically from the mainstream impressions, people brand you. And not having a taste for 4R stuff in general is the fastest way to get branded. As you mentioned, I have become more open to things recently. Think about it from another perspective......You like fast cars. You buy a toyota and dont like it because it doesnt so what you like it to do. Is it a bad car? not in the least. It is actually a great car, but it doesnt do what you like in a car. Next time you need a car, you go buy a Honda. It is probably the same situation. Maybe before you buy your next car, you decide to rent a few and get a feel first rather than dropping the money on a blind purchase. Arrogant? ....No, it's just an approach that makes more sense to you. Arrogant is the perspective that because I differ in my opinions and tastes that I am the one who is inherently wrong. There are no rights and wrongs in this 'hobby'....it is as subjective as your favorite color.

I feel kind of the same way about 4R. I've tried the small batch, single barrel, LE releases. Maybe its just because they have so many diff mixtures but the flavor profile just don't suit me. I can tell the LE especially are high quality but I just don't enjoy it that much.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

you vocally dislike a brand of bourbon with which you are almost wholey unfamiliar - you have more negative things to say about it than any other member of this board. You speak of that which you do not know.

I only speak negatively of the SmB and SB, the ones Ive tried and dislike....particularly the SmB. Ive said many times I did like the barrel proofer I tried, but the reason Im not going to go out and blindly buy all ten barrel proof recipes is that a guy could go broke trying to try every recipe 4R has, and rarely ever do I see it available in a restaurant. SB and SmB, it is everywhere. and with the LE stuff, I am not going to chase any bourbon down, I do not enjoy that aspect of the hobby....trying to find something that the owner thinks is liquid gold.

I feel kind of the same way about 4R. I've tried the small batch, single barrel, LE releases. Maybe its just because they have so many diff mixtures but the flavor profile just don't suit me. I can tell the LE especially are high quality but I just don't enjoy it that much.

prepare to be scolded, bin31z!

If one is consistently vocal in a negative way about a bottling/distillery/etc., then one should expect push back from those who feel differently.

There are many bourbon and rye expressions that I avoid as a matter of preference and taste. Since I don't threadshit about them each time that they come up, I bet that making a list of them would be difficult for others in the community.

Who else can say the same?

You hate Weller Centennial and want to send all of yours to Lexington.

Exactly. If you have a pen I'll give you my address.

:hot: Yes, we should have a bottle burning! :hot: I'll volunteer my place for collection for all of you that can't make the trip in person. :slappin:

If one is consistently vocal in a negative way about a bottling/distillery/etc., then one should expect push back from those who feel differently.

There are many bourbon and rye expressions that I avoid as a matter of preference and taste. Since I don't threadshit about them each time that they come up, I bet that making a list of them would be difficult for others in the community.

Who else can say the same?

if youll look back over the past page you will see that this started when I simply posted that I bought three Dickel 9 years, and saying nothing more. Then, as usual, I got scolded for paying nearly $50 for each of them when what I 'should' have done was buy some 4R instead, since 'ive never given them a shot'. Ive been clear about what Ive tried and what Ive decided i like and dont like. so, who started the pissing match?

'twasnt I

in reference to the above....who on here is standing in the aisle, looking at a bottle of their favorite whiskey, which will soon be a dusty likely, and passes it over in order to take a chance on a more expensive brand that has left them feeling regretful over most every prior purchase? very few, I bet.

Edited by 393foureyedfox

'twasnt I

...today. But you've made literally hundreds of posts about how you don't like FR in the last half a year.

Listen, man. No one here is trying to be a jerk. There are a lot of people here who have tried a lot of good bourbons and might just have some good advice. Since you joined, you've refused to listen to anyone about anything. Not just Four Roses. Willett is a prime example. You constantly denigrate "the hunt," which many of us really enjoy, you constantly tell us that no bottle is worth more than $50... But you have no idea because you haven't had any.

This place is populated by a bunch of bourbon geeks. You rub a lot of us the wrong way because you put down the things we do. That said, I think it's great that you've found some pours that you love. If you will notice the trend, you seem to be finding them pretty regularly. Four Roses private barrels offer the bourbon that best fits your criteria for choosing a bottle and the range of flavor profiles is very wide. Please try OBSK and OESO.

There's no need to buy before you try. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who would get you a sample. Hell, I would and all I do is argue with you.

if you enjoy the hunt that is fine with me, it affects me in no way, since I refuse to compete with you over them. Yeah, I put price limits on everything, most people do. Youre house searching? you likely look at a certain price range and put a cut-off at some point. Car buying? same thing. Why is it unreasonable to do the same with whiskey? If I find things I thoroughly enjoy that are under $50, what motivation do I have to go over that amount (but, in deference to you, I do notice that most of my favorites approach that boundary, although a few are well below it). Everyone has to draw the line somewhere, yours may just be higher than mine. I dont say youre wrong for buying a $100 bottle......but I will say anyone buying a $1500 of pappy has more money than sense.

when I 'slam' 4R, it is usually in a thread and is on topic. Im not going to take your "I purchased Pappy" thread and tell you you are wrong for not buying my favorite.

how 'bout we just agree to disagree? My happy posting of my Dickel purchase yesterday has threadjacked into an "I hate Doug" thread, and at absolutely none of my doing......I never mentioned crap about 4R here, but somehow I am the one who is always hating on it.

you've refused to listen to anyone about anything
Same tired shit as always

Thanks for making my point.

Joe didn't tell you that you shouldn't have bought that Dickel. Once, it was an expensive bottle you had never tried. You bought it then. Joe just suggested that you should give OESO the same chance. He was being nice. You instantly turned it into an argument. You even decided to argue with Scott.

I'm done with this. If you want some Four Roses samples shoot me a PM. If you want to make a thousand more uninformed posts, don't expect that many of us will like them.

Edited by HighInTheMtns

Joe didn't tell you that you shouldn't have bought that Dickel. Once, it was an expensive bottle you had never tried. You bought it then. Joe just suggested that you should give OESO the same chance. He was being nice. You instantly turned it into an argument. You even decided to argue with Scott.

I'm done with this. If you want some Four Roses samples shoot me a PM. If you want to make a thousand more uninformed posts, don't expect that many of us will like them.

I agree with foureyedfox 100%. However, I am willing to change my tune if anyone wants to prove me wrong by sending me any recipe barrel proof Four Roses. To be on the safe side, send at least a couple bottles of each. I can can pre-pay all costs up front to make it easier.

Now I dare someone to prove me wrong. Preferable more than one. :grin:

I almost spit out my coffee, Sean!

^This is the short and sweet right here.

Doug, I really HATED the standard small batch when I first tried it and thought all of these guys here just liked really weird floral/astringent bourbon. Maybe a week after I tried the regular SmB I passed on bottles of the 2011 and 2012 SmB LE. I posted that I passed on them because I didn't like the regular SmB "so why would I waste $80 on stuff I don't like?" It was quickly, and very accurately, pointed out to me that the LE's don't taste anything like the standard offerings and that I should give one a shot.

Remember Doug, at this point I'm just like you, I don't like the SmB or SB much at all (if any.)

I picked up the 2011 SmB LE and LOVED it. It was nothing like the standard SmB or SB and I was shocked at how different they were. I promptly went back to get more of the 2011 and was "stuck" having to get a few of the 2012 SmB because they didn't have any more of the 2011 on the shelf.

I have since tried a few of the barrel proof private selections that have been great so far. To me, they are all different from the standard offerings which I have grown to like, but not prefer.

We are all here because of our love for our native spirit and I was just suggesting something that I thought YOU would like. The OESO is sweet, caramel and fruit goodness. The OBSK that Jim suggested has a spicy punch that will pop in your mouth. A good recommendation for you too since you like Booker's heat. Both suggestions point out the wide range of flavors that Four Roses can put out with their variety of yeasts and mashbills.

I will also be glad to give you some samples Doug.

...back on topic. I finally found some WTAS at a decent price!

Edited by smknjoe

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!