What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Visited a few stores today in a local town... ended up with a WTAS ($79.99) and a FRSmB 125th ($125) pricey but I've been wanting to try it, and its the first time I've seen it locally.

Picked up a case of W.L. Weller 12 for the bunker. Cause you never know!

A case! I wish I could find a bottle of it here. Congrats.

Grabbed a Weller 12. Opened one last week and was in a store where I needed to make a relationship purchase. They also had a new innis and gunn I hadn't tried so it grabbed that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a busy few days on the hunt. Spent the weekend in Chicago with the wife and picked up a SAOS 10yr that I have not seen anywhere here locally. Also managed to pickup a Stranahans Colorado Whiskey for a fellow SBer while there as well. Returned home and picked up a ORVW 10 and an ETL Com today with more hunting set for tomorrow.

81 was for both stagg Jr and ETL commemorative. It was the first time I had seen the Stagg on the shelf so decided to give it a try.

[Q UOTE=OldKentucky;414282]Bottle of ETL commemorative and Stagg Jr. 81$ after tax

Eek! Saw some Stagg Jr the other day but didn't even look at the price. Oh well.

One more ECBP for the bunker from a great store who said he only got 2 and he put it aside for me. Didnt really need it but these guys are to me the best store ive ever dealt with and they have always hooked me up with the allocated stuff (MSRP at that) And to make shipping worth it.....not bourbon but grabbed a Green Spot Irish.

High West Bourye. Mis-priced at 22 bucks but the guy let me have it for that. Is this one back in production? I've only seen the Son of... for quite a while. I'm thinking maybe this got lost in the back of the warehouse or something.

-Mike

High West Bourye. Mis-priced at 22 bucks but the guy let me have it for that. Is this one back in production? I've only seen the Son of... for quite a while. I'm thinking maybe this got lost in the back of the warehouse or something.

-Mike

They've been saying it would be back at some point once the Bourbon component had gained a bit more age.

picked up a green spot and a smooth ambler 10 yesterday. I grabbed the green spot based on reviews I've read on SB, but after opening it I've decided I'm just really not a big fan of irish whiskey.

Also picked up a couple 4R 125th today, at (unfortunately) secondary market prices. I've only had one taste of it before and it was quite possibly my all-time favorite, so I decided it was worth it to grab a couple.

Re: Green Spot, give the bottle a couple of weeks to see if it grows on you. I enjoyed my initial taste of it and after being open for a week or so, it seems to have settled down a bit and I am really enjoying it (letting it sit in a glass might help, too). I find slightly tart cherry and grape notes on top of the malt basis, from the sherry casks they use.

Tasted Jack Daniels regular and Jim Beam White (half bottles), for science, to see if it was right to avoid them for over 20 years. It was. I thought the banana notes people say they detect in JD were an exaggeration, but then I smelled and tasted it. Big artificial banana taffy bomb (on the other hand, I don't usually smell anything in the NY subways, so my sense of smell may be compromised). Jim Beam: straw and slightly sour wild yeast funky notes. Both seemed pretty sweet, although the JD was a little overwhelming. I don't see myself getting more of these, but if I had to pick a winner, I would stick with my college judgment that Jim Beam is more enjoyable.

Do people think the more high end Jim Beam single barrel or other variants are worth trying? I have had the Knob Creek single barrel, which is good, but I prefer others at that price range.

Finishing with Four Roses Small Batch regular. Much better.

Jack and Jim are very maligned on this board. To each their own. Are their better whiskies than those two? Yes. But I'll tell you what, I just love a Jim on the rocks from time to time. It centers me back to my roots. My sister, bless her heart, loves Jack. When we get together I love to share a few pours with her. I don't go out of my way seeking either but once or twice a year I will find 1.75's of Jim for $21 and Jack for $28. You know what I do? I buy them and I DRINK them. No regrets. I firmly believe there are no bad bourbons or Tennessee whiskies. Some are just a little better than others.

2 ECBP, 1 Barterhouse 20, 6 Stagg Jr.

You guys are all lucky, seeing that everywhere but here. Had my local search for me...of course in the entire state he found.......zero bottles. The ECBP to clarify. Since I started the ec12 has been my daily so I will get some BP asap.

Edited by jmj_203
added clarification

PVW Rye

Four Roses OBSK private barrel selection (P & M Liquors)

Four Roses OESV private barrel selection (P & M Liquors)

El Dorado 21 yr Rum (obviously not bourbon, but bought at same time)

3 more bottles of the Bourye. It was priced like Son of Bourye and has the older whiskey in it so I figured what the heck. I'd pretty much decided to stop buying and just start drinking what I have but you know how that goes.

-Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.