What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a PHC 2013, CEHT Single Barrel, and a HMK BiB 10-year old single barrel. It's an older bottle, so it looked interesting. Says it was barreled in 2001, so I am assuming this would have been a 2011 release. Anyone have any tasting notes on the HMK?

post-10798-14489820726738_thumb.jpg

(Also, why do all of my pictures show up sideways?)

Barterhouse seems to have hit the shelves in at least some Atlanta stores for those who are interested. I know a number of people were not all that enthusiastic about this one and it's big Blowhard of a sibling! But having had a chance to try the Barterhouse I felt at least one bottle was worth picking up. Don't know if I will seek out more than that.

Local allocation is reportedly tight compared to what some places seem to have been reporting so may not be a lot to get here.

Picked up a PHC 2013, CEHT Single Barrel, and a HMK BiB 10-year old single barrel. It's an older bottle, so it looked interesting. Says it was barreled in 2001, so I am assuming this would have been a 2011 release. Anyone have any tasting notes on the HMK?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18135[/ATTACH]

(Also, why do all of my pictures show up sideways?)

My iphone does that if I take a vertical pic, have to turn the phone to horizontal for the uploaded pic to come out vertical.

Don't know why, don't care, it just works

How was the selection? Heading there next week. Mind sharing what you paid for those?

They were selling their barrel strength bottles for $60. $60 for a barrel strength bourbon hand selected by Jim Rutledge is money in the bank. I'm feeling kind of dumb now that I didn't buy more for myself.

They only had the barrel strength OBSF and OBSO out there. I'm guessing they had about 20 bottles of each recipe sitting out in the gift shop. I don't know if that was the last of it or if they had more elsewhere. I thought I read on here that the gift shop would always have at least two different barrel strength bourbons available. Can someone verify that? Anyway, I added some pics of the labels on the bottles I purchased - sorry for the tiny print on the first one.

I also asked if they had any of their 2014 Limited Edition Single Barrel available. The kind lady at the register told me that it may be May before they have it available in the gift shop. She also stated it would probably be in retail stores around the same time they begin to sell it at the gift shop.

post-8680-1448982073171_thumb.jpg

post-8680-14489820731153_thumb.jpg

Edited by DPPSmoker

IMG_2300_zps204472e8.jpg

Went for the BlowHard, and Barterhouse $5.00 over MSRP, but the owner of the liquor store held it with me in mind. He got Medley Brothers in after I asked about awhile ago. Got to pay dues sometimes.

Ted

Picked up another EC12 store select, Stagg Jr, and some round ice cube makers.

Bourbon purchasing etiquette question for anyone interested in answering:

This is a shop I've probably spent several thousand dollars in on bourbon and my usual go to for a bottle. I got home and looked at the receipt (don't usually pay attn when I purchase) and noticed that I was charged for the EC12 and then twice for the ice cube makers, but was not charged for the Stagg Jr. The question is this - should I go back to the store and notify them of the mistake, or simply chalk it up to good luck and invite some friends over and open the bottle for them to share in the good luck (not that I don't ever do that anyway, but this would be for that specific reason this time)?

Picked up another EC12 store select, Stagg Jr, and some round ice cube makers.

Bourbon purchasing etiquette question for anyone interested in answering:

This is a shop I've probably spent several thousand dollars in on bourbon and my usual go to for a bottle. I got home and looked at the receipt (don't usually pay attn when I purchase) and noticed that I was charged for the EC12 and then twice for the ice cube makers, but was not charged for the Stagg Jr. The question is this - should I go back to the store and notify them of the mistake, or simply chalk it up to good luck and invite some friends over and open the bottle for them to share in the good luck (not that I don't ever do that anyway, but this would be for that specific reason this time)?

Id go back and be honest about it. They may say good for you and let you have it, or they may ask you to pay. Honesty is the best thing, and there is another plus. The owner will remember your honesty and potentially remember your love of bourbon when a new release comes out.

Id go back and be honest about it. They may say good for you and let you have it, or they may ask you to pay. Honesty is the best thing, and there is another plus. The owner will remember your honesty and potentially remember your love of bourbon when a new release comes out.

After thinking about it, I shouldn't have even asked the question - this is what I'm going to do tomorrow when I go back into town. It won't likely net me much in the way of future releases as this is a very large store and the owner isn't very available like in your smaller shops, but nonetheless it is the appropriate way to go. And I've already lined up some friends to share some pours with Friday night!

I'm with Jon. You'll have karma on your side moving forward and absolutely nothing to lose, as you were going to pay up anyway if it weren't for the simple mistake.

BT. Plain and simple. Why? Not only is it tasty to me, but it's giving me a good baseline for comparos with some samples of SBer-selected single barrel BT & ER that a kind fellow SBer sent my way. (Is it giving too much away/stating the obvious to say that the Market Square crew knows their stuff?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Larceny 1.75 for 41.99 with a $20 rebate. Cant beat that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loved the karma responses to horn's etiquette inquiry; I'd sure be tempted to accept the financial windfall, but ultimately the honest route is the way to go and it will be repaid in some fashion. That attitude is one of the things I like about this community.

Yesterday I bought a Bookers 25th, EWSB store select (2003) and Ezra B 12 year single barrel. And received a Whistle Pig as a gift. I'd been reluctant to spring for the latter for a couple of reasons, which most of you can likely guess, but sampled it and really liked the rye. Has an upfront sweetness and then the rye spice kicks in, but not in an overpowering way. Seems aged just right to me. And in the interest of karma, I got the Bookers 25th for someone else.

Took a 45 minute drive with a friend who was buying some Dalmore Mackenzie.

Couldn't leave empty-handed, so grabbed a 4RSB, and a Buillet 10.

Edited by kjbeggs

Picked up a bottle of ECBP batch 4 today for $39. Pretty happy to put one in the bunker. They don't show up too often around here.

Picked up a bottle of ECBP batch 4 today for $39. Pretty happy to put one in the bunker. They don't show up too often around here.

Good for you! I just came to post that I scored another bottle of the same today, but paid $49. Still, happy to get it, as we don't see it often in our parts either.

Had a what the hell moment and went for Barterhouse and Old Blowhard.

I had a similar experience today. Was looking for the Barterhouse and was offered the Blowhard as well. Figured what the hell as the owner is a nice guy plus it helps keep me on the top of his list of people to call. Besides, it might help keep that small "craft distiller" called Diageo from going under...

They had just gotten the Nikka line in as well so I picked up the Yoichi 15 because it looked interesting and I didn't want to just be cherry picking. Ended up working in my favor as I was then offered a 4 pack of this odd looking beer fron Founder's!

post-8493-14489820735659_thumb.jpg

After hearing reports of ECBP #4 in the state, decided to work the phones while on my commute home. Paid off - store I don't frequent very often checked and found they had an ECBP in the office. Imagine my surprise when I picked it up and found it was batch #3!! Which from the GBS tasting was the choice of more than 1 person (ok, I think it was 2 of the 15+ :lol:) Still excited to have one in the bunker!

I had a similar experience today. Was looking for the Barterhouse and was offered the Blowhard as well. Figured what the hell as the owner is a nice guy plus it helps keep me on the top of his list of people to call. Besides, it might help keep that small "craft distiller" called Diageo from going under...

They had just gotten the Nikka line in as well so I picked up the Yoichi 15 because it looked interesting and I didn't want to just be cherry picking. Ended up working in my favor as I was then offered a 4 pack of this odd looking beer fron Founder's!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18154[/ATTACH]

That odd looking bear has eluded me this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.