What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Barterhouse at 70. I might buy one for goodwill purposes eventually, but probably not at a bigger store where I don't know the owner.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Store-select Woodford Reserve Double Oak. Is it strange that I've never even tried any WR product? I almost took the plunge but figured maybe I should try the normal WR first, though if it's as oaky as I perceive it to be I think I'd like it since I usually like that flavor profile.

Left a bunch of standard issue ETL behind ($32, IIRC). I've got some bunkered already and I've been more of a BT Mashbill #1 type of guy lately. I was hoping they'd have the commemorative for me to check out.

I did the same thing this week. I felt bad as well since this owner always hooks me up, but I have zero interest in this bottle. I told him I'm just not a Jack Daniels guy.

Had the same problem with one of my owners when he offered me the only bottle of Booker's 25th he got. Was honest and tol him I just don't care for Booker's period, and the chance of me enjoying it @ $200 is 100% nil.

Had the same problem with one of my owners when he offered me the only bottle of Booker's 25th he got. Was honest and tol him I just don't care for Booker's period, and the chance of me enjoying it @ $200 is 100% nil.

Well if he's selling it for $200 that's a whole other set of problems!

Saw a regular ETL on the shelf for the first time in a while but with a fair amount of the last GBS pick of ETL still on hand I decided to leave it be. Price was a bit higher than before but lower than what has been reported by some at $29.99.

post-8493-14489820824799_thumb.jpg

Continue to hear rumors of the commemorative bottle landing in town but haven't spotted one in the wild yet.

Passed on a WTKS from 2009. Just thought it was a little overpriced.

ECBP for the low, low price of $130.

Holy cow, how did you resist the urge??? Could be worse, you could live in Pennsylvania and have access to approximately 0 ECBP's so far. Of course at that price I would buy about 6-8 bottles of bourbon and enjoy it just as much.

I passed on a couple of Willett's (12 and 23 yr's) today. Just not interested in these.

I passed on a couple of Willett's (12 and 23 yr's) today. Just not interested in these.

Were they reasonably priced or marked up quite a bit as is the case with a lot of Willett products recently?

At the distillery or a retailer?

Passed on the Jack D triplet (No.7, Gentleman & Single Barrel) in a presentation box for $60 at Costco. I may reconsider...

Passed on the new Liquor Barn WFE 23 year at $329. It'd be nice to have it but it would cost me $329 + 1/2 my total assets when my wife divorces me. Easy pass.

Passed on the new Liquor Barn WFE 23 year at $329. It'd be nice to have it but it would cost me $329 + 1/2 my total assets when my wife divorces me. Easy pass.

Geeeeeeze man.......retailers are getting out of hand with the Willett bottle pricing.

Pretty sure the retailers aren't to blame on that one.

Dang......I really like Willett. I'll be pretty darn disappointed if they are the ones driving the pricing.

It's probably a little of both. But the Willett gift shop prices have jumped considerably in the last few months and the retail prices are on par.

I would bet it is more on the Willett side of the equation, but not entirely there. With the shortages striking the industry, I would imagine they get hit harder - and as a smaller organization, are more nimble with their pricing. I don't blame them one bit - if I was making something and selling it for $200 and saw it immediately flipped for double, I would be a special kinda stupid not to change my price point. Honestly, I'm still in shock that the others haven't done so (although the HHSS gift shop bottling shows they are moving in that direction).

At the distillery or a retailer?

Eric, these were at Liquor Barn in Lexington. I think the 12yr was $120-130 and 23yr was $330. Not sure when they picked these barrels, but they got them in yesterday. I really hope you get yours soon, I really liked the one you let me sample last year when I came down to E-Town.

Yeah, think this one is on Willett. That pricing is bananas. Bet it's gone by the weekend though if not already!

ETA: and it's been over a year ago or more since they first picked these barrels.

well, at that rate, the 8 year bottle I scored for X-mas may be my one and only Willett. I've been saving it for a graduation party, and I graduate next week. But now, I think I'm gonna save it for one hell of a celebration when I pass my boards, which should also be this month. Looking forward to all three!

Bingstein, a man once told me that "half of a whole lot still isn't bad." :cool:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!