What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got a room downtown to celebrate with my wife. We packed an open bottle of Booker's and had a pour for early happy hour. We ordered the following between us,

EH Taylor - good citrus

Garrison Brothers - hers, it was the least impressive Garrison release I've sampled but only had a taste.

(these were ordered at the 1/2 price happy hour at the Chavez.)

/ beer break / change locations /

Knob Creek

High West Double Rye, she liked it

Rittenouse Virux Carre

Mitchner's Rye, hadn't had it before, wasn't moved to put it on the buy list.

I finished with a Bulliet.

Was tempted to order a Saz 18, but it was too expensive, and knew she wouldn't be happy if I tried to order the Willett 21. It was on the menu but didn't see it on the shelf. Need glasses so I can see what is hiding in the back rows.

Sounds like fun! What are we celebrating? The rest of us want to join in!

Sounds like fun! What are we celebrating? The rest of us want to join in!

Tuesday! I encourage joining in on any day of the week ending in Y

Enjoying the Weller 12 tonight.

Not to derail the conversation, but please do not vote for anyone from Texas. Other than that, please vote. Don't move to Austin, we ran out of water.

It's been a Four Rose night, a couple of pours of small batch followed by a 2014 SB LE after the Cards lost to the Reds.

Finished off a bottle of OGD114.

Now drinking the Henry KcKenna 10 yr BIB and boy does this one keep evolving. In a really strange twist, I'm picking up a lot of oak and other flavors that were present in the WFE 25yr rye that my brother-in-law has. I didn't like that one as it was too bitter and tannic for my tastes so I'm a bit perplexed that I'm picking up the same notes in a 10yr bourbon.

It's been a Four Rose night, a couple of pours of small batch followed by a 2014 SB LE after the Cards lost to the Reds.

Mrs. F says bourbon is the best thing for the Two Cs--celebration and consolation.

Starting my afternoon off with a pour of JPS21. The banana and chocolate notes are back, though barrel influence has started to become much more prominent in the taste. Looks like this is a case where oxygen woke up the beast. Nose is still excellent. Added a bit of water, which brought out more chocolate and rye spice, and also tamped down a bit on the huge oak notes.

This is my 4th or 5th time tasting my bottle of JPS21, and I'm going to go ahead and call it: This is pretty good stuff. Oxygen hasn't done it any favors, though. I don't feel at all like I wasted my $110. I don't think I would buy another bottle of this for myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one as a gift for a friend.

I'm contemplating tomorrow's choice of study topics for my upcoming board exam in 3 weeks with a pour of HMBIB. Had to cut back on my consumption lately, but taking a break tonight (and likely Saturday and Sunday) before studying hits high gear and the new job starts next week. This sure is good right now...

Dusty night. Ancient Age Barrel 107 followed by dusty Russell's Reserve 10 yr. Not bourbon, but in the middle there was some Handy for $11 a pour.

Got a bottle of the Glenlivet Guardian's Chapter LE delivered yesterday. Kicked off the evening with a taste of that.

Followed up with some Balcone's Single Malt, and capped things off with some 2012 OFBB.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!