What Bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2014

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

How is it? Any good?

Not bad - definitely worth the $25 price. With a bit of water it really opened up nicely, and I expect it will continue to improve with some open air time as well. While I'd agree with TComp 99% of the time, I did have to pour out a bottle of Henry McK BIB 1B because it was not good. Tried it several times, and whomever "picked" that barrel should be fired (but thinking of all of the bottles I've bought, 99% is probably pretty close!)

I believe Craig is personally responsible for the selection of barrels that go into Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Barterhouse at COSTCO for $60. Rhetoric somewhere else.

Dam! I wish ours got it.

Pulled a EC21 from the honey hole today. Sadly, the well has nearly run dry after much plundering.

But what a run it's been!!!!

B

Picked up a smooth ambler old scout 10 year in atlanta. Can't get it back in dallas.

Got another ECBP and a Rhetoric. Probably will go back and pick up the last bottle of ETL comm they have.

Gift Shop 4RSB OESF. Place was packed today but well worth the trip.

I picked up some value bourbons today: FR, EWBiB, and VOBBiB. I've never had any of them, and I look forward to checking them out. I plan to do a comparison tasting between EWBiB and VOBBiB.

My LS just selected a barrel of Eagle Rare 10. I was worried about ER10 changing along with the labeling, but now I am less concerned because I have been able to bunker a few due to the barrel select they did. At $24.99 a bottle a few are going to the bunker!

If you are confident in their barrel selection abilities, then $24.99 is a great price!

If you are confident in their barrel selection abilities, then $24.99 is a great price!

Exactly. $25 is a great price. I paid 32 for a bottle of ER10 a while back. Then again, everything seems to be more expensive in Illinois.

I got a bottle of Barterhouse, reluctantly. I have been going into a little liquor store for a few weeks looking for dusties and whatnot, and the owner ordered some bottles just for me. I didn't want to do it, but he sold it to me at no profit to himself, so I thought it better to begin a long, prosperous relationship. The whiskey itself is better than I thought too

At BevMo, prices not great but the had what I wanted on the shelf, so I paid:

OG114 $28.99

EWSB $22.99

FRSB $39.99

Then at Costco I saw:

EWSB for $18.99

and was tempted to buy a couple more.

Impulse buy, Stagg Jr. 2nd batch at $55. Shockingly, I absolutely love it. It's like the tipsy cake my aunt used to make, or maybe a hot rum raisin cake.

I do not like BT stuff all that much, but I really like this and it might qualify for my very first "bunker" item, the word I hate most in all of this forum.

After its been open for a few days its even better.

Impulse buy, Stagg Jr. 2nd batch at $55. Shockingly, I absolutely love it. It's like the tipsy cake my aunt used to make, or maybe a hot rum raisin cake.

I do not like BT stuff all that much, but I really like this and it might qualify for my very first "bunker" item, the word I hate most in all of this forum.

Not a bourbon but worth mentioning. High West Double Rye. I've actually never tried it until tonight. Wow. This stuff is insanely over the top. I love it. Also, paid $35, which is pretty decent for this I think.

Not a bourbon but worth mentioning. High West Double Rye. I've actually never tried it until tonight. Wow. This stuff is insanely over the top. I love it. Also, paid $35, which is pretty decent for this I think.

It is an exceptional rye and you got a great price! I like both the Rendezvous Rye and Double Rye. However, based on price, the Double Rye is a better value.

Found another bottle of Four Roses 2013 LE Small Batch. Picked up an order of three EC12 store select single barrels. And had in possession a Bevmo OBSK private selection however later discovered a crack in the bottle so back it went to Bevmo.

post-11296-14489821130966_thumb.jpg

post-11296-14489821130966_thumb.jpg

2x ETL Comm, 2x WT American Spirit, and a pre-BT handle of OC10.

tbt

Found another bottle of Four Roses 2013 LE Small Batch. Picked up an order of three EC12 store select single barrels. And had in possession a Bevmo OBSK private selection however later discovered a crack in the bottle so back it went to Bevmo.

[ATTACH]18811[/ATTACH]

You found another 2013 FR LE Small Batch?

Great find. I have been savoring my one and only bottle.

:toast:

It's just a word.... Just call it "basement storage" if needed. That's the term I use around the house. What doesn't fit in the cabinet bar upstairs is kept in basement storage, in plain unprinted cardboard bottle boxes that one of my local large liquor stores uses for catering delivery.

Just this week, we started to move boxes out to a storage unit as part of emptying out the basement and main floor of the house for a kitchen replacement and some other minor construction. That's when Mrs. Kalessin noticed that there are seven and a half boxes of "basement storage" at 12btls/box. Five boxes are all whiskey.

I got that look from her, and a bit of mild teasing.

Edited by Kalessin

Unfinished basements are perfect for this and leaving the occasional spider web about keeps the Mrs from investigating.

Six boxes of six down there now. :cool:

went on a junkyard and bourbon hunting trip today, in tampa. Looking for 80's mustang parts, and just to see what kind of bourbon stuff you can find in tampa, since there doesnt seem to be a large bourbon crowd here. for the most part, not much. I did manage to find some parts for the Fox project, and also, somehow came across a distilled in 87/bottled in 95 bottle of 8 year old Booker's, at retail. It was old enough it didnt even have the stupid box around it. I got to talking to the owner, after I paid for it ($50), asking how long he'd been in business. he said 4 years. I asked if he bought out the store, and he siad no, he just opened it from scratch. Neither of us could figure out how he ended up with a bottle that old. He said everything in there he bought himself from his distributor over the past 4 years, and somehow it just landed there. there was also a bottle Bookers 2004/2011, which fits with his 4 year business story.

who knows, but I couldnt pass up a 1995 Booker's. Ive got so many things open right now, though, that its gonna be a while before getting into it.

Came upon another bottle of ECBP Batch 5 and decided it needed to come home with me.

Can't be too careful...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!