What Bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2014

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a Russell Reserve 10 year. Nothing unique about it, just diversifying from all of the EWSB purchased lately.

You found another 2013 FR LE Small Batch?

Great find. I have been savoring my one and only bottle.

:toast:

Hidden

They're not all bourbons, but I picked up the below pictured items over the last week or so. I was visiting some places and I checked-out a bunch of new (to me) stores and a couple stores I've been in only a few times. I also had a great time at Finger Lakes Distilling's distillery and tasting room. Overall, I struck out more than I lucked out, but I had some fun hunting. BTW, I had secured the VWFRR several months ago and was just picking it up...I didn't just find it on the shelf! The ORVW 10 was a lucky find, but that's a story for another day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18820[/ATTACH]

Finally got my hands on a FR LESB 2014! Also picked up a Ritt BIB (new label) and a local craft bourbon to support the store that supports me.

Is it still just hitting stored places?

Finally got my hands on a FR LESB 2014! Also picked up a Ritt BIB (new label) and a local craft bourbon to support the store that supports me.

They're not all bourbons, but I picked up the drinks below over the last week or so while traveling. I had a great experience at Finger Lakes Distilling's distillery and tasting room. They have a fantastic set-up in an awesome setting and they make some really good stuff. I had a conversation with Brian McKenzie -- super nice guy.

post-10455-14489821137819_thumb.jpg

Traveling to Lake Charles, LA on business, and picked up a Baby Saz and a Dickel 9 year 103, neither of which I can locate back home in Dallas; someone always beats me to them.

Pat

Solid!! I won't ask the location as this sounds like a place you've cultivated a relationship with. I assume they held one for you and that you didn't just stumble upon it?

Is it still just hitting stored places?

Yes, still showing up for the first time at retail stores here.

Solid!! I won't ask the location as this sounds like a place you've cultivated a relationship with. I assume they held one for you and that you didn't just stumble upon it?

Yes and no. As we know WA is still new to private sales and I'm not aware of any small stores getting limited release products with any consistency. The big box stores who do get the goods have online (and internal store-to-store) inventory so it's hard to "hide" bottles and hold them for individuals. I was fortunate to get a tip, but it was my close proximity to the store at the right time that landed me the bottle. I respect their position (non-discriminatory, first-come first serve sales) and they respect mine (fanatic whiskey enthusiast). Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. :)

Picked up the Weller Special Reserve and Old Weller Antique I had reserved.

Was offered and accepted an ECBP somebody else had reserved but never picked up.

Grabbed Rittenhouse Rye, SAOS and Baker's because I was in a buying mood.

A bottle each of my most current favorites. SAOS 10 yr and the new WTRB. Seeing more bottles of both of these on the shelf brings a smile to my face too.

They're not all bourbons, but I picked up the drinks below over the last week or so while traveling. I had a great experience at Finger Lakes Distilling's distillery and tasting room. They have a fantastic set-up in an awesome setting and they make some really good stuff. I had a conversation with Brian McKenzie -- super nice guy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18831[/ATTACH]

Back in NOVA now, but a couple days ago at K&L I picked up a Faultline, a Lot 40 Rye, and a K&L designated Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. Amusing (to me, anyway) was that in-store they're trying to convince customers that Old Bardstown is the same as Black Maple Hill.

Back in NOVA now, but a couple days ago at K&L I picked up a Faultline, a Lot 40 Rye, and a K&L designated Russell's Reserve Single Barrel. Amusing (to me, anyway) was that in-store they're trying to convince customers that Old Bardstown is the same as Black Maple Hill.

May well be these days! Black Maple Hill appears to be a shadow of its former self as best as I can tell.

Amusing (to me, anyway) was that in-store they're trying to convince customers that Old Bardstown is the same as Black Maple Hill.

2 x SAOS 7. Really hard to find where I live and picked it up on the way to the beach. Maybe I'll find something else down there.

Amusing (to me, anyway) was that in-store they're trying to convince customers that Old Bardstown is the same as Black Maple Hill.

This is not the first time I've heard this.

SAOS 7 year. Nice bottle, same as WFE. Now if only it was WFE...

Why? It is just as good, if not better, and was probably less expensive.

A VWFRR in the wild? At retail? Can I be your best friend??

I secured the VWFRR several months ago and I was just picking it up. There was a premium over retail, but somewhat reasonable especially given prices I have seen lately online. I did, however, get lucky with the ORVW 10/107. I went into many stores on my trip and, overall, I struck out more than I lucked out.

That's amazing you found the ORVW at retail this long after the release in Sept./Oct. Do you mind sharing the price?

You mean they aren't?

Not in my experience, but I've only had the BMH intermittently (though I've always enjoyed it), the last (consumed) bottle purchased at least two years ago. It was definitely different from the Old Bardstown, which I had just last week, though to tell the truth I was drinking, so my memory may be unreliable. It does sound as if more recent expressions of the BMH may be less exciting, though there could also be some sample variation at work.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!