What bourbon are you drinking? Fall 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

MB, best wishes to you and the Mrs. Your life will never be the same in a really cool way. Sleep well and as often as possible.

I know it's not technically bourbon, but I'm having some Mellow Corn and I really like this stuff.

Having a good pour of EC12 Store Select. Haven't had this in a while but really loving the smokiness.

I know it's not technically bourbon, but I'm having some Mellow Corn and I really like this stuff.

El vino, yea I'm trying to figure out the sleep thing now.

The next time out of town and run across Mellow Corn I will pick some up. Call me curious.

Beans!! congrats on your first due in December. I will tell you it's a surreal experience.

I'm having Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch tonight fellas.

Gallenstein ER10 #21, brown sugar, maple, caramel, thick & viscous, rich mouthfeel, right in my wheelhouse, just a fantastic bourbon.

Ending the night with a FR PS OESQ (10 yr, 3 mo @ 108.4 pf). A few drops of water really bring out some citrus and banana notes. This one's not going to last long. :D

Had some Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel BIB last night. The last time I bought this bourbon was several years ago when it had the old packaging. I thought that bottle was close to terrible and ended up giving it away.

This bottle I purchased yesterday is so good I'm going to go back and see if there are any more bottles left from the same barrel. :yum:

Had some Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel BIB last night. The last time I bought this bourbon was several years ago when it had the old packaging. I thought that bottle was close to terrible and ended up giving it away.

This bottle I purchased yesterday is so good I'm going to go back and see if there are any more bottles left from the same barrel. :yum:

seems I read there are more variances with this one label than any other that I notice, at least from reading on here. I've only had HMBIB twice....once at a bar and thought it was a nice sweet bourbon, and the bottle that was gifted to me a few months ago. I like that bottle well enough, but find it too similar to WT101 to justify the extra $12-15 it costs over WT101 when it comes time to replace it. If I found one awesome bottle of it though, I would do as you said and buy up all the other bottles from that barrel. Variances among single barrel bourbons can be nice, or annoying, depending on your perspective. I kind of like knowing that August's purchase will taste like December's....

A generous pour of Four Roses single barrels. A 1:1:1 vatting of OBSK, OBSV, and OESO. Comes in at a surprisingly drinkable 121.4 proof.

Edited by Phil T

9ypa8aru.jpg

First tasting of RHF this evening not much heat, sweet vanilla at the start with cinnamon at the end. Me likey! [emoji102]

9ypa8aru.jpg

First tasting of RHF this evening not much heat, sweet vanilla at the start with cinnamon at the end. Me likey! [emoji102]

Been a rough few days, I'm pouring what he is...x2! ...Oh!... just realized from the same style glass, except mine is EC! Prohst brother!

Edited by dSculptor

Yet another long week at work. :banghead: It's Friday, so I'm putting a nice dent in a PS Single Barrel Bowman Bothers. :drink:

Just thought I'd check back and ask why is this stuff so good? Wonder how many to a case?:grin:

Just thought I'd check back and ask why is this stuff so good? Wonder how many to a case?:grin:

Not enough (6)! :cry:

Mrs Fox and I celebrated our anniversary tonight and went to her favorite place, an Asian bistro. I debated between EC12 and KC, but went with the KC. For some reason, I never have bought a bottle of regular KC, though I always enjoy it when out. I have tons of KCSB here, but not the regular. I'll have to look into that...

Edited by 393foureyedfox

Mrs Fox and I celebrated our anniversary tonight and went to her favorite place, an Asian bistro. I debated between EC12 and KC, but went with the KC. For some reason, I never have bought a bottle of regular KC, though I always enjoy it when out. I have tons of KCSB here, but not the regular. I'll have to look into that...

Congrats! I'm doing the anniversary thing on Sunday by taking my amazing wife to a vegetarian whiskey bar (yeah, odd combo, but the Lady RF is vegetarian) in town. And she's driving. Woohoo!

Moving on to a '13 ER17. Stunningly delicious. ER 17 has always seemed to be the red headed step child of the BTAC collection, but I've always enjoyed this brand, because IMO, no other bourbon wears her age better than this one. The '13 is even better than others in the series. Amazing to me that it doesn't seem over-oaked, woody, or too tannic. Nice sweetness on first sip, and holds a nice vanilla and caramel body throughout. The many years in wood never seem to overwhelm the juiciness of the whiskey. I am hard pressed to believe it is 17 years (or 19 as this one reportedly is) old. That ain't easy to accomplish in bourbons of this age. I cannot think of a better uber-aged bourbon. And, the 90 proof seems spot on perfect. As elegant and enjoyably tasting whiskey as can be found anywhere in the world, IMO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.